Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

Contributor

Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

Recently downgraded from 100Mbps Triple-play to 25Mbps internet only. For a few weeks all was well, ROKU streamed with few bufferings, internet consistently showed 24-29 MBps over the Wi-Fi. Then about 2 weeks ago, connectivity might show "internet not available" or a page just timed out, and ROKU would buffer constantly. This might happen for a couple of hours, or be okay most of the evening. This morning things are slow, maybe less than 3, sometimes up to 7 Mbps, pages timing out. When it's slow I can't login to the Gateway (Arris TG-1682G), says "User is locked out". I tried a wired ethernet connection this morning, it logs in, all download signal strengths and SNRs look normal (-7dBmv and 38dB, rounded off). Wi-Fi signal strengths are as usual, i.e. it's not a lack of signal strength at the computers (in fact, I've tried a Windows laptop on 5ghz, an iPad on 5ghz right next to the Arris, and another Windows laptop on 2.4ghz bands. Online chat with Comcast has yielded a tech visit, he found a problem upstream with some cabling. That gave better signal strength at my location. But hasn't fixed this intermittent loss of speed. Event log AFAIK showed no significant problems, some resets (did many of these per chatline instructions) some T1 timeouts but not all that many. I thought about trading in this Arris for another, which the chat person said I could do... All help appreciated. Other ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Part 2: Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

landers3, glad we were able to see improvement. Let me know if you need anything else. 

KenF

All Replies
Expert

Re: Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

Post a screenshot of the modem's signal status.

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Expert

Hi @landers3,

Sorry, you're still having problems. Since you've already had a tech visit.....

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

See the troubleshooting guide if you would like to do a little troubleshooting on your own. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Contributor
Contributor

Tonight, speed is as slow as 3.16Mbps download/4.09Mbps upload, browser pages slow or time out. ROKU is buffering badly. This computer is connected via ethernet now rather than Wi-fi, but I can't even login to the gateway, still saying "User is Blocked". The screen capture from the gateway was done earlier, while the speed was about 6-7Mbps and I could get in. I think the specs seemed ok. 

The speed still randomly goes from 29Mbps to 3.16Mbps, even though nothing else in the system changes.  25Mbps works just fine when it is up to speed. 3.16Mbps is not normal, nor is it caused by having two Wi-fi printers (offline), and a Kindle (offline) as one chat host implied. And the chatline always ends with the recommendation that I upgrade to 60Mbps...

Official Employee

Hello,

I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Contributor

Clicking on the private message link takes me to a page with a Private Messages label, and a blank white area, but I can't do anything with it. Can't type there... But meantime, it took 2 minutes and 41 seconds to login to my Xfinity account to check mail this morning. Finally rebooted the gateway, same slow speeds show on speedtest, but at least the browser is a little faster... What am I missing or failing to do about the PM?

Contributor

I figured what I wasn't doing right and sent the PM. This morning the speed is horrible, Comcast Speedtest shows 1.91Mbps download, 0.94Mbps upload currently. Web pages timing out or can't be reached, 58 seconds just to reach the Comcast login page, couldn't reach this forum until just now after numerous tries. Very irritating, slow to non-existent internet and streaming TV. Hopefully the problem gets found and fixed soon. Thanks.

Official Employee

Thank you for providing your information, I am looking at your account now. Does this happen at certain times of the day? 

Contributor

Not really, last night, this morning and this afternoon and until a little while ago it was horrible. Then just as suddenly, right now speedtest shows 29.27 Mbps download and 3.12 Mbps upload. Next time I notice everything lagging, it will typically show somewhere between 3 and 7 Mbps download.

Official Employee

Thank you, I do see the upstream receive levels is a little high. Would you mind if I send a reset to your modem so I can get an accurate reading from it, it would take you offline for a few minutes? 

Contributor

Sorry I was out of the house until just a few minutes ago. If you have not done a reset, please feel free to do so. If you have done so, it hasn't improved my speeds, 1.83Mbps download, 2,68Mbps upload currently.

Contributor

No particular time seems to be involved. Within the last hour our speed has gone up, now 27.65 Mbps download, 3.01 Mbps upload, and ROKU is streaming pretty much as usual. We'll see how long that lasts...

Contributor

There's no particular pattern to this. There was good internet (speedtest 26-29Mbps download) and good ROKU streaming from about 7pm until 11pm CST,  now there's buffering and slow internet. Comcast speedtest currently 4.64Mbps download, 4.64Mbps upload. Latency 16ms, if that helps.

Contributor

Situation now: This computer is connected directly to the Arris via ethernet.  Showing slow download/upload (6.69Mbps/4.06Mbps), slow browser, pages sometimes time out, and I can NOT login to the gateway. It responds "User is Blocked". (I would like to confirm signal strength and SNR at this time, but can't get into the gateway). When speeds are normal, there's no problem logging in to the gateway either by Wi-fi or ethernet.

For those cable savvy, is there any chance that the Arris gateway could have an intermittent failure? Or is it pretty much assured that the problem is upstream? The last tech visit, he found a cable to another house had been cut and was hanging on the ground. He fixed that, and I had hoped that solved the problem. Sadly that's not the case.

Contributor

So here we are, tech called in two other techs, (more training/experience, I think), and all verified that my signals are fine. No problems found ahead of the modem. Even changed out the gateway! But they verified I was getting about 8Mbps download and verified that I'm paying for 25Mbps tier. Suspicion now is a configuration problem upstream, perhaps conflicting and causing the modem to throttle back most of the time. Last night we enjoyed streaming TV for a couple of hours, connect speed showing above 25Mbps! This morning it's back to 8.30 Mbps down/5.96Mbps up, browser is sluggish again. Tech apologized, and is trying to escalate "upstairs" because it is not at this physical level. He asked me to give it a couple of days. I'll do that. Hopefully he can get someone's attention who is at the correct level to address the problem. 

Expert

You might want to send @ComcastShane a PM and let him know the status of your repairs.

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Contributor

Thanks @nerdburg, I PM'ed ComcastShane yesterday with the info. So far, most of today, speed has been excellent: 27.49Mbps down/12.99Mbps up, currently. So I know it can do it, but for over 2 wks it has been up and down erratically. Hoping for the best.

Contributor

Booted up just now, some websites pop right up, but my Juno email and Comcast speedtest both indicated no internet connection. After several tries they both came up and speedtest currently shows 28.05 Mbps down, 3.05 Mbps up. ROKU is streaming ok right now. Hoping for the best...

Contributor

The consistent thing about this problem is that it's so inconsistent. Signal to the modem has been verified, very good. Arris Gateway has been exchanged. Speed is still up and then down. Had pretty good download speeds last night, ROKU streaming worked fine. This morning, attempting a Comcast speedtest returned "This site can't be reached, DNS address could not be found", a second try returned "There is no internet connection, try...etc." Third try got a connection to the Comcast speedtest, currently shows 3.26Mbps download/1.25Mbps upload. Very slow. Yesterday I could login to the gateway without any problem. Today it returns "404-Not Found". Plus I just realized yesterday, I no longer receive any email (Juno.com) on my iPad or Samsung phone. These devices have been getting email just fine. Last email received on the iPad is dated 4/14, about the time this problem started. This is beyond my paygrade, but I agree with the local techs, there's nothing wrong at the physical location. Obscure configuration problem somewhere way upstream...?

Contributor

Part 2: Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

After all the on-site work, including two coax upgrades (very low-loss coax from the pole to my house) and replacement of both the coax from the outside box to the Arris gateway, and the gateway itself, the problem continued. Went from good download/upload speeds to almost nothing. The weekend and Sunday especially, were lousy. Then yesterday the connection speed was good, things worked pretty well. This morning Xfinity speedtest will only crash! Yet the internet seems okay, other speedtests work, indicate good download/upload speeds. I can login to my gateway, and signal levels/SNR look good. Screenshots attached. I could go with good speed and connectivity, but with all the ups and downs, this makes me a bit nervous. Waiting for the other shoe to drop, you might say.Arris gateway1.jpgCrashed1.jpg

Official Employee

landers3, thanks for the update! I see the private messages you've sent to Shane. I'll follow up with you there. 

Contributor

Speed & connectivity still up and down at random.

After a terrible weekend almost non-usable internet, we did pretty good yesterday and today. Still some random things going on. Like the Comcast Xfinity Speedtest. Crashing when it tries to measure upload speed. It reports "Oooops! Something went wrong" I flushed the cache on my Chrome browser just in case, but it had no effect. Changed to Edge browser, it worked great...for a little while. Now Edge also crashes on the Speedtest. Error messages also from trying to access this forum. "Hmmm...can't reach this page"; and "There was a temporary DNS error. Try refreshing the page", also "Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND". Even a few minutes ago, indications there was no internet connection...it went away after a few seconds.

I can't fault the local technicians, they have made multiple (good) efforts including replacing older coax, extra-low-loss coax from the pole, replaced the original Arris gateway, and replaced the old tap (splitter-amplifier) at the pole. My signal levels are consistently good now, in the +3 to +5 dBmV range, SNR anywhere from 38 to a bit higher. Screen shot from the Arris gateway if you want to see it. Something obviously happening upstream from me. Ideas?

Contributor

Still Connectivity/speed problem, intermittent

05-14-2018
Sunday night internet speed was great. Then beginning this morning about 9am CST, not so good. Gateway won't let me login, "User is blocked". Speedtest either crashes or shows like 8.4Mbps down, then crashes on the upload test. Another time it completed, it showed 4.0Mbps down/6.6Mbps up, latency 22ms. Trying to login my Comcast account, "login.xfinity.com" and "oauth.xfinity.com" gave repeated messages "This site can't be reached". After trying to login maybe 3-4 times it finally let me, but took quite a while to even get to my mailbox. Right now it's testing at 10.6Mbps download, but crashed on upload. 

I reset the Arris, and tried another speedtest. 4.8Mbps down/6.5 up... I also tried my iPad that uses Ookla Speedtest: 8.42 Mbps down/but crashed on upload, says "check your internet connection"... Arris still reports "User is blocked"...

Continuing the day's events, just now (12:30 CST Monday) it's totally different, things are hopping nicely, speedtest 28.2Mbps download/3.1Mbps upload. And yet this morning when my wife started using her computer she said she had no internet. Well, it was like wading through cold thick molasses or the pages simply crashed. Sure wish someone could look at conditions when it's happening. Login to the Arris is only possible when conditions are normal, and it is now showing normal signals. After the recent reset I see a few correctable codewords (like 3,0,0,0,17,15,18,0) and no uncorrectable. This is how erratic it is. Not seeing any pattern yet. Techs have made several on-site improvements, that have resulted in excellent signal strength and SNR downstream, much better power levels upstream. I have already posted screen shot of the gateway, but I can repeat if desired. Forum techs have responded, which I appreciate. But nobody has figured out why this is happening.

Contributor

Unresolved issues, speed ok then terrible, connectivity issues

Hoping to stir up interest and a resolution to this problem. The issue still exists, but my previous thread appears locked.  For hours at a time, our internet will become virtually unusable. Speedtest may just crash, or show varying low download/upload speeds. While browsing, webpages may report DNS errors, and even "no internet connection" . Right now Comcast speedtest shows 6.8Mbps download/3.9Mbps upload. Things are pretty sluggish. Some pages time out. Oh, yeah, the internet speed is also bad via ethernet or Wi-fi. When it's working as it should, the web browser pages just pop right up, and the TV streams quite well.

The oddest thing, which I suspect may be a real clue to what is the problem: when things are so slow, I can't even log in to my Arris gateway. It is reporting "User is blocked" right now, and when things are even slower, it will show "404-Not found". That's either by Wi-fi or direct ethernet connection. Once in a while a webpage appears like the html isn't being interpreted, just underlined text...

Several local tech visits have found and corrected enough that my signal strength and SNR are excellent. Modem has been swapped, re-provisioned, screen print posted of the signal strengths, reset manually many times, still the condition persists. When it's good, it's very good. But when it's bad, it's terrible. We have the 25Mbps tier of service, which has proven to be perfectly adequate (when it works!). I did research about TV streaming, consensus was that 8Mbps was the slowest speed for streaming, and our resolution is 720 (not 1080 or 4K). 

Lots of tech folks scratching their heads about this so far, but no fix for the intermittent problem.

Expert

Re: Unresolved issues, speed ok then terrible, connectivity issues

I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue once again to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Contributor

Thanks @EG, currently Comcast KenF has pm'ed me and we are looking at things. He has been watching from his end and asked what is currently online here. Certainly nothing last night bothered the TV streaming, I occasionally would check speed with my iPad, my wife did some FaceBook on her Samsung phone but nothing like that bothered TV streaming. This morning after my wife saw how slow it was, there's nothing but me checking things with this laptop...then here we are at great speeds again!

Frequent Visitor

What model is the modem? I'm running a Surfboard 6141, and just found out that they're EoL'ing anything DOCSIS 3.0 4X4 and lower, despite the fact that mine is an 8X4, and wouldn't be EoL'd if they just sent out the updated firmware.  

They might have also decided that your modem is too old, so you need to go lease a new one, even though yours would work fine if they weren't throttling your connection. 

Contributor

The modem is Arris TG-1682G from Comcast, in fact a second one acts just the same. Just noticed the speed is way down again, 5.9Mbps down/5.1Mbps up. All other devices have been put offline. This computer connects via ethernet, there are two Samsung phones online now. That's all. No streaming TVs, Kindles, or printers are online. 

Official Employee

landers3, glad we were able to see improvement. Let me know if you need anything else. 

KenF