Community Forum

Connectivity Issue with Game Servers

New Poster

Connectivity Issue with Game Servers

Hello,

I recently acquired a Xfinity gateway device (Model number: TC8305C Make: Arris Technicolor TC8305C Telephony Wireless Gateway Modem) and I have had trouble connecting with online gaming servers as well as VoIP chat programs.  I have attempted to connect after disabling all firewalls, forwarding the necessary ports, and even turning off the gateway server security through the Xfinity online router page.  Since I have also reset the gatewar device as well as my computer several times attempting to connect, I am wondering if there is any advice you have to offer or if there is a security workaround/exemption/exception that could be performed on your end.  The specific game server is League of Legends and the chat program is Mumble, if that helps at all.  The internet works just fine, but it is specific game servers that are giving me a problem.  Has Comcast as an ISP blocked certain ports?  Hoping to resolve this soon, thank you in advance for your help.  

Frequent Visitor

Re: Connectivity Issue with Game Servers

Just installed a new modem/router today. We are having the same problem with hooking up to the league of legends server. Online gaming was a big reason why we went with Comcast (only ISP faster than 2mbps in our area). Tried chat to get help, but that was fruitless. Told me I needed to talk to League of Legends people. I informed her it worked before Comcast. It worked with the first Comcast router, but as soon as we get this router it doesn't connect. Also told her Comcast problems with their routers and the online gaming world was all over Google. I am very frustrated to say the least. Just inside my 30 day window to say forget Comcast and go back to 2mbps. Believe it or not that ISP was way less frustrating even at that slow speed.

New Poster

I was having the same problem with connections on my ps4, none of the games would work. After monkeying around with the router settings on the website I found that if you change the firewall settings to low you should be able to connect with no problem.
Frequent Visitor

I actually turned off the firewall. It will connect, but loses the connection shortly after starting a game. And as usual, Comcast shifts the blame to the software company even though it is a large problem with Comcast routers and this game. It's all over the internet. Hear that Comcast? Google League of Legends Comcast routers and just see for yourself. 

New Poster

I also set my Xfinity gateway modem Firewall to Low or Custom and that fixed the gaming issue for me :

http://10.0.0.1/

Username "admin"

Password "password"

Firewall = Low or Custom (but don't turn it off).

Hope this works for others.

Problem Solver

Hi, I will have to have a look at this Routers Manual.. But I beleive all of your Problems stems from an incorrectlyt configured PC, Console and Port forwarding..

I don't think putting the Router on LOW security settings is wise it may fix the issue but others could arise from an unsecure network..

Let me look in the Manual and see a few things but basically when a game requires you have Ports Forwarded the steps are easy but sometimes hard to follow especially for some one not very tech save..

Yes there are tons of guides and such but most are wrong and most users opt for the EASY Solution.. but here it is in a nutshell simplified if you will:

1. You need to setup or reserve and IP and device you are playing or hosting game server on..

a. This also needs an IP Picked bu you to be OUTSIDE the range of the Routers DHCP Start & End IP..

b. IF the DHCP uses all available IP's you need to change the END ip to a lower number.. usually that is .2-.254 so change the .254 to a .50 or as many devices you use an auto IP for..

2. Once you have the Static IP or a Reserved IP set time to do the Forwarding.. Usually you just inser port or port range and pick the Protocol UDP or TCP or BOTH and then point to the IP of the PC or Console you setup the Staitc IP for..

Step 1a is a REQUIREMENT Because if you pick and IP INSIDE the range of the Routers DHCP you can have a IP Conflict and then one of the devices will NOT Coonect to the internet until you reset the IP of said device. Usually the Static One..

Step 2B is NOT alwyas required but needed sometime so you dont get an IP Conflict with the Auto Setting of the DHCP...

it seems complicated but best bet if your Router Supports it is to Set a RESERVED IP that eliminates the Static IP setup Procedure most people do Wrong anyhow..

I am going to go look for the manual be back in a bit..

OK I looked in the manual here are the PAges you need to be concerned with:

1. Page 16 change DHCP ENDING ip to like .100

2. PAge 20 shows what the Firewall settings are Putting it too low is OK..

So Once you change the END ip of the DHCP setup a Static IP on the PC Set ip to like  .105 or .200 as Long as it is NOT .2 to .100 and all inbetwenn those two IP's..

Once you setup Static IP goto PortForwarding and forward the required ports.. Then insert your Static IP in the Port Forwarding section.. Also Check UPnP it is ON by Default you will want to turn that OFF or Disable it all together..

New Poster

Call of Duty Issues as well same problems.

New Poster

We had multiple games on two computers, multiple phones, and tablets that wouldn't connect.  We had to completely disable the firewall to get any sort of connection.  I'm going to be monkeying with different settings to see if which features contributed to the problem, but it's not just one PC being incorrectly configured.

Diamond Problem Solver

Year old marked solved thread now being closed.