Community Forum

Connection Issues for YEARS! T3 timeouts, drops, three times a day to three times and hour. SB8200

Frequent Visitor

Connection Issues for YEARS! T3 timeouts, drops, three times a day to three times and hour. SB8200

I have had a on-going connection drop issue for years now.

It's random, but on average occures every few hours though it can be as much as a few times an hour, or as little as a few times a day.  It's only disconnected for 1-3 mintues.

A year or so back I was gaming alot and the discconect was a huge issue, I tried everything to fix it (but mostly made it worse by moving splitters and attenuators), I tried diffrent routers, pluged the pc straight in, changed every cable, allsways still droped.

I got rid of my SB6141 (also noticed it was EOL), so I bought a SB8200.

The SB6141 would pretty much just reset on disconnect but with the SB 8200, I noticed the "T3 time outs " consistantly but not everytime it drops.

(I have no hard data but the only thing I can think that may slightly effect it is outside temperature.)

We finally had a tech come out and he said the issue was signal balance (I had removed a spitter, so it needed a bigger attenuator), he also said part of our problem is the cable amplifier is about 6 feet from our house. 

He put a - 7db splitter (nothing coming off it but the modem) at the house, and a -9db drop at the modem. (Nothing else on the line, no cable boxes or anything.) 

I have not changed anything since. This was at least a year ago.

The conneciton got a little better, less drops, but still there. (Also started paying less attention again, not gaming, the kids would complain everytime hulu lost connection every couple hours.)

Now my wife is working from home pretty often, and when it drops three times a day, its a big deal....

Today, She called comcast and customer service pretty much refused to help because we own the modem (SB8200). 

Didn't give any other options, or help, just said she couldn't do anything because we own the equipment and it must be our equipment and suggested we look into getting new equiment "because the modem is three years old"....  ( I will buy a CM1100 right this second, if someone on here thinks it will make my issue will go away.)

My concern is this problem will never go away, with the amp so close to my house they have to drop the signal a bunch to make my downstream within range, but that puts my upstream at the top of the range (or over). Then when it gets hot out or for some other reason I get spikes that put my upstream over (this is just my guess) . 

In the past I used wireshark to document how many times I was losing connection, and also that I could still speak with my router and modem (192.168.100.1, execpt the times it was rebooting). I will use wireshark again, if it gets any worse, seems like its 3 or 4 times a day right now. (I feel like when its cold out it drops less and summer is coming).

I really need to solve this issue.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

downstream.pngupstream.pngevent1.pngevent2.png

Frequent Visitor

Re: Connection Issues for YEARS! T3 timeouts, drops, three times a day to three times and hour. SB82

your pictures are blocked but are you on the newiest firmware ? I was having t3 times outs all the time till mine updated to SB8200.0200.174F.311915.NSH.RT.NA.

Expert

Re: Connection Issues for YEARS! T3 timeouts, drops, three times a day to three times and hour. SB82

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, thats the software version im on.

Expert

Pics ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Expert

Yep. The upstream power is too high !! The downstream power is on the weak side too. Take any excessive / unneeded  attenuation out of the line to the modem 

Frequent Visitor

I'm going to pull the -7db splitter and see how much the upstream power comes down.
Contributor

Find the demarc.   Demonstrate the problem at the closest point inside your dwelling, closest to the demarc.   Then you will probably see evidence of corrosion and previous water-penetration on/in/around the connectors.   Report this to comcast tech-support and show the technician as best you can.   Anything in/near the demarc is comcast's responsibility.   Every demarc exposed to moisture/heat-cycling/vibration will inevitably require swap and comcast continues to aggressively swap the oldest ones across USA.   The old/original demarcs from original-cable-TV days were not designed for broader-band analog signals carrying our digital data today.    Original analog/cable/NTSC TV works great and degrades gracefully with no "digital cliff" across cables & connectors which are extraordinarily damaged.

Expert

@Karebear88 wrote:
I'm going to pull the -7db splitter and see how much the upstream power comes down.

O/k. You may not need a tech visit. Please post back with how that goes.

Frequent Visitor

Power levels look better now. I have not noticed the connection drop yet.

I'm still worried my power levels will creep up when it gets hot in a few months, but ill just have to see then. 

Thank you for the input.

http://i63.tinypic.com/264lz6v.jpg

Expert

Yep. Much better !! There's more wiggle room now. The amplifiers in the cable plant / infrastructure have built-in AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuity so the power levels shouldn't deviate more than 3-4 dB's regardless of any outside / ambient temperature changes (this is of course dependant on that they are not malfunctioning) so you should still be within spec. See what happens then. Post back here in the future if you need more help / advice. Good luck ! Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Hi, Karebear88. Thank you for reaching out here for support. I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you and improved as of recently with your service. I will be here if/as needed in case you'd like to go forward with scheduling that technician visit. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi again, Karebear88. I ended up not hearing back from you on this, so I went ahead and completed the interaction. Let me know if you end up needing further support with it. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.