Community Forum

Connecting Wireless Gateway cable modem to Airport Extreme Base Station

New Poster

Connecting Wireless Gateway cable modem to Airport Extreme Base Station

Hi there,

Xfinity just replaced my modem and this time they gave me a Gateway wireless cable modem. That's great. Except that they signal isn't strong enough to run the length of my apartment. So, I want to connect the cable modem to my Airport Extreme to create a wifi network that reaches my bedroom.

I put the modem in "bridge" mode and connected my Airport Base station to the modem via ethernet. But my Airport kept giving me a "No valid IP Address" error. I reset the Apple Airport and did a bunch of power cycling (per other threads), but nothing seemed to work.

Then I turned off bridge mode and tried to set the Aiport Extreme in bridge mode. That seemed to work, but in actually, there was no service.

Obviously, I am not a networking expert, but I thought it would be pretty simple to set up since the Airport worked fine with my last (non wireless) cable modem. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Connecting Wireless Gateway cable modem to Airport Extreme Base Station

You do want to get the gateway in bridge mode as the AirPort has superior routing and wi-fi.  

When you place the gateway in bridge mode, you will need to power cycle the gateway anytime the connected device is connected to LAN port 1 on the gateway, LAN ports 2, 3 & 4 are disabled.

After the power cycle the AirPort should pickup a Comcast public IP address that you will see on the AirPort Utility.  On the utility if you click on the globe icon, it will show you what the AirPort's WAN side is receiving from the bridged modem.  The AirPort's LED should be solid green.  If it's flashing yellow, you have an issue with the bridge mode.

If you have a ethernet port on your computer, you can test the bridge mode on the gateway before you connect the AirPort.  Check the IP address the computer is getting from the bridged gateway, if it's 10.0.0.x then the gateway is not bridged.  If it's a public IP your good and then connect the AirPort and power cycle the gateway.  You might want to fully reset the AirPort and start fresh.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: Connecting Wireless Gateway cable modem to Airport Extreme Base Station

Post in a year old dead thread removed for a forum language filter bypass violation.