Community Forum

Connecting Tesla to Xfinity hotspot

New Poster

Connecting Tesla to Xfinity hotspot

Live in a bulding, my car is in the Parking deck and about to buy a Model 3. Need to have a WiFi conection to update software. Of course my Xfinity Wifi doesn't reach but we have hotspots in the parking deck. At my car I see XFINITY, xfinitywifi and CableWiFi (which must be Xfinity since I connect with my iPhone). Also have Xfinity moble service.

1) How do I connect my Tesla (when I get) to a hotspot?

2) What are the differant Xfinity hotspots?

Not sure why I can't post pic but it just shows the selection on my iPhone.

IMG_0355.pngXfinity hotspots

Expert

Re: Connecting Tesla to Xfinity hotspot

@JulienW wrote:

Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@JulienW wrote:

Live in a bulding, my car is in the Parking deck and about to buy a Model 3. Need to have a WiFi conection to update software. Of course my Xfinity Wifi doesn't reach but we have hotspots in the parking deck. At my car I see XFINITY, xfinitywifi and CableWiFi (which must be Xfinity since I connect with my iPhone). Also have Xfinity moble service.

1) How do I connect my Tesla (when I get) to a hotspot?

2) What are the differant Xfinity hotspots?

The xfinitywifi SSID is the one you want :

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-hotspots

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Another option would be to tether it to your cell phone WiFi cellular hotspot *if you have that feature) and use your phone's mobile internet connection to a cell tower if the Xfinity WiFi signal is not adequate.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

The xfinitywifi SSID is the one you want :

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-hotspots

So I open WiFi on the Tesla, select xfinitywifi (what are XFINITY and CableWifi?) and just use my User Name/Password to connect and I'm good to go (no need for a Profile)? Will it auto connect each time I park? Is this coming from resident’s WiFi? Also will it auto connect if it is coming from multiple or different resident’s WiFi’s? 

New Poster

@EG wrote:

Another option would be to tether it to your cell phone WiFi cellular hotspot *if you have that feature) and use your phone's mobile internet connection to a cell tower if the Xfinity WiFi signal is not adequate.

Leaving my iPhone in my car every night for software updates is not possible. I need the phone for phone use.

Is there a LTE Wifi Hotspot device that I could buy and add to my mobile account? I see there are some from Verizon but none listed on Comcast.

Of course ideally would be to just connect to the xfinitywifi.

Expert

I kinda' doubt that there would be updates every night.

New Poster

@EG wrote:

I kinda' doubt that there would be updates every night.

But you don't have any control of updating or know when it will update. There is no set schedule and updates are rolled out in batches across the fleet.  So you need to connect nightly for the best chance.

Also my cell is my only phone service so I don’t want to leave it in my car overnight any nights.

Expert

Wouldn't the updates get queued on their server on whenever there actually is one available so that when you actually do connect in the daytime, they would get downloaded and installed ? You shouldn't have to leave your phone there overnight.