Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Connected to Network, But no Internet Access

New Poster

Connected to Network, But no Internet Access

Recently, I had sent off my laptop to get repaired, and before that my laptop connected to my modem perfectly fine. What's happening is that I'm able to connect to my WiFi network, but once I try opening up my browser, every website greets me with the warm welcoming of "unable to connect to this website" when it tries loading a site. I have called Comcast three times today total (as of April 4th), and the troubleshooting gets solved until the call is over and then it returns to being unable to connect to the website. They've tried refreshing the connection on their end and changing the channel that my connection is on. On my own, I flushed and renewed my IP, which had no effect either. This connection I use is used by every other device in my household and they work perfectly fine being connected to this network. The only time my laptop works on this connection is when I have the modem directly connected in the back of my laptop. I'm positive there's nothing wrong with my laptop, due to the fact I've tested connecting to another connection and it worked correctly and allowed me to browse. Any ideas or solutions?

Problem Solver

Re: Connected to Network, But no Internet Access

Do you have anything else that connects to your WiFi ?  My guess is the problem is with your router.

New Poster

As in devices? If that, mostly every device is connected to this WiFi; iPods, iPhones, video game consoles. If not, I don't have an understanding of what you mean of that, because my laptop is the only one getting this error.

Regular Visitor

I think I'm having a similar problem. I've set up a new xfinity/technicolor modem. I've activated my account and now have phone and tv service. I also have internet service on my main computer (the one I'm on now), but I cannot connect to the internet from another computer or from my Netgear device (which I use to get Netflix, etc). Both devices show that I'm connected to my home network (with the original name that was assigned to it), but neither can access the internet.

I think this has a simple solution, but I'm stumped.

Problem Solver

Yes, you answered my question (game console is what I was asking about). I am surprised an iphone uses your WiFi, I thought it would use a cell tower signal.

I have seen other posts that have a problem connecting because Xfinity Constant Guard software interferes with Internet Explorer 10.  If you have Constant Guard installed you might try uninstalling it to see if that helps. It is free from Comcast and can be reinstalled easily (if you want it, I do not). I believe this would also interfere when you are hardwired to the modem so it is not the correct answer.

What is your operating system? I am most familiar with Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, my laptop has a WiFi symbol on the right side of my taskbar in my desktop. The symbol has signal strength bars, do you have any signal strength indicators?

I hate myself for asking but is "airplane mode" turned off? I AM ONLY TRYING TO HELP. 

You said you used your laptop computer to access another network with WiFi correct? Like your local library or a neighbors WiFi? And it worked perfectly? 

Do you have a combined modem & router in one unit or are they separate units? Some routers have two signals maybe if yours does then perhaps one signal has a problem.

Do you know anyone else with a laptop that you could borrow to see if it connects with your WiFi? If it connects the problem is in your laptop or software. If it does not then the router or the modem is likely at fault. Doing this will eliminate some possibilities.

Regular Visitor

I'm sorry that I took so long to reply. I called customer support  again and got to someone who seemed to know the answer for my laptop, which is Windows XP. He said this is a known problem with XP and I need an adapter to connect. Rather than buying something else I just reinstalled my old router and now have connection on my XP laptop.

The strange thing is that I now can connect with my Netgear (Neo TV) with my Comcast modem/router.

Thanks for your offer to help.