Community Forum

Confirmed: ActionTec WCB6200Q Wireless Extender w/ MoCA 2.0 is plug-n-play with Arris TG1682G

Frequent Visitor

Confirmed: ActionTec WCB6200Q Wireless Extender w/ MoCA 2.0 is plug-n-play with Arris TG1682G

Setup is simple and illustrated nicely in the ActionTec (ATEK) WCB6200Q 5 page setup guide pamphlet.

Step 1: Attach the Point-Of-Entry “POE” filter (purchased separately) before the first splitter from the carrier. This keeps MoCA traffic on the local user user’s network.

Step 2: Enable MoCA on Arris (ARIS) TG1682G Gateway using the “Enable” button on the MoCA menu.

Step 3: Use WPS button on ARIS in Proximity to powered-up ATEK to copy ARIS wireless SSID and credentials to ATEK. ATEK adds “-EXT” to the SSIDs presented by ARIS.

Step 4: Attach ATEK to coax at destination using included splitter if needed. Power up and use the MoCA 2.0 backbone.

There are 2 Ethernet Gigabit ports available on the ATEK unused by me at this point though likely to be very handy.

End to End Ping times on my LAN using a Samsung Notebook with WiFi interface to the ATEK and a W10 PC Ethernet attached to the ARIS were 5-6 msec.

My old Moto X phone showed excellent signal up to about 20ft as did my newer Moto Z play.  Signal is usable throughout my single level house with a predictable drop in signal quality.

Following Lon’s advice (From Lon.tv) I connected to the ATEK and disabled the SSH interface. Lon points out that the SSH allows full root access to the Linux based ATEK which is clearly a potential security risk. Change password on ATEK while you’re in there.  No other setup required unless you want to change the SSID names with the –EXT which I did not do.

So far so good, but I am a light network user with 1 MoCA drop.