Community Forum

Configuring Wireless Access Point behind the Comcast Modem Arris WBM760A

New Poster

Configuring Wireless Access Point behind the Comcast Modem Arris WBM760A

Hi all,

I just signed up with Comcast and have bought my Comcast Modem Arris WBM760A which connects to Comcast just fine. It has one ethernet port and if I connect my laptop to it, it connects to the internet.

Now I have a 5-port switch lying around so I connected that switch behind the modem on the Uplink port and then connected my laptop to one of the 5 ports and I have internet.

Of course now I want the wireless access. For that I took my TP-LINK TL-WA801ND and configured it as Access Point and connected its ethernet port to one of the 5 ports on the switch. I enabled the DHCP on it.

Now from my laptop I see the wireless SSID and I can connect to it. I also get a nice IP address 192.168.0.100 from TL-WA801ND. But unfortunately I can't access the internet. I can even access the TL-WA801ND control panel over the wireless, but just can't access the internet.

Is there something wrong with my configuration?  Isn't an access point supposed to provide me the wireless access to the wired network?

What am I doing wrong?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Configuring Wireless Access Point behind the Comcast Modem Arris WBM760A

Comcast provides one public IP address and you can only connect one device behind a modem, it remembers the MAC address of the last device connected.  That device can be a computer or router.  Adding a switch won't work, you need to replace it with a router and that will give your home all the private IP addresses that you need, and pass all devices through the modem out to the internet, and connectivity between all your home devices.

The 192.168.100.1 IP is only for the service access page for the modem and is nothing to do with your real connection.

If you need more wired connections after the router is in place, you can place the switch behind one of the LAN ports on the router.

The access point is not a router, but can be connected behind the router to give you more wi-fi coverage.

New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

The TL-WA801ND is capable of creating a wireless LAN behind it. It assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx. I have it set for DHCP starting from IP addresses 192.168.0.100.  And it gives the wireless devices the addresses 100, 101, 102 and so on.  Is that not enough? My laptop gets one of those addresses when connected to its wifi. Isn't that enough function of the router?

Here is the user guide of TL-WA801ND. It is a fairly complex device and can be configured as access point, bridge, etc. Here is its user guide for your reference:

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WA801ND_V2_User_Guide.pdf

New Poster

What Ip are you picking up when you plug direct? Im guessing the its picking an IP up from the modem dhcp probably at 10.x.x.x address. You need to line the AP dhcp and default gateway with those IPs from the modem so its on the same network. Without a router you wont be able to navigate between those networks
Silver Problem Solver

shah123 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The TL-WA801ND is capable of creating a wireless LAN behind it. It assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.xxx. I have it set for DHCP starting from IP addresses 192.168.0.100.  And it gives the wireless devices the addresses 100, 101, 102 and so on.  Is that not enough? My laptop gets one of those addresses when connected to its wifi. Isn't that enough function of the router?

Here is the user guide of TL-WA801ND. It is a fairly complex device and can be configured as access point, bridge, etc. Here is its user guide for your reference:

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WA801ND_V2_User_Guide.pdf

An Access Point is not a router. To reinforce JayinAlg's respons, if you want to use multiple devices behind your Comcast modem you NEED a router, not an access point. The access point cannot do the routing and NAT necessary to connect multiple devices through your modem. Even if you have only one wireless device connected to the Access Point, it still will not work without a router, because the modem sees the access point and the wireless device as seperate connected devices, and will only allow one of them access to the Internet. Again...you need a wireless router, not an access point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon