Community Forum

Compatible Modems

Frequent Visitor

Compatible Modems

Looking for a list of compatible modems to use with my Comcast Internet service.  Tired of the poor excuse for equipment I am getting from Comcast  (Wifi Signal Degrades 70% two steps away from the modem)  and I really would rather own than rent.   Thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: Compatible Modems

Never use a Gateway device, ever.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

New Poster

Here is a link to Comcast's site talking about compatible Cable Modems that you can purchase rather than rent from them.

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

The Motorola 6141 is a great option. Here is a link to it on Amazon.com: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I choose to use a cable modem that doesn't have any features in it at all other than converting COAX signalling into Ethernet. It then plugs into my own  seperate router that I use for doing my Firewalling, DHCP, Wired Ethernet and WiFi. It really hinks me up that Comcast has root access into all of their modems and they are going in and turning on XfinityWifi wireless access points. I say "No thanks" to that mess. I prefer to own my own gear. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

thanks..but that link sends me to a comcast page..

Problem Solver

chris_navyguy wrote:

thanks..but that link sends me to a comcast page..

That's correct, from there you read.

Frequent Visitor

Unless you want Xtreme105 service, then you will be constantly told your modem isn't compatible, even though their own website says it is.  After wasting 8 hours of my life with 4 different CSR's over a three day period simply trying to upgrade my speed tier to xtreme from the performance level I currently have, I finally just gave up and bludgeoned myself with a gigabit switch for even attempting something so silly as expecting my Docsis 3 modem capable of over 300 to be able to handle Comcast's 105.  How silly of me.  If your shooting for the higher speed tiers, and don't want the Xtreme Hassle, pun intended, you might want to check out the Zoom 5341J, as you will probably have a much easier time getting it provisioned.

I am still waiting to hear back from Comcast as to why my Retail SB6141 (White, not the crappy black one), is not compatible with anything over the 25/6 speed tier. 

[EDIT] 1/16/14 I got in touch with ComcastNick thru PM as other users had suggested and he is taking care of this for me.  I will finally get my 105 on Monday.  Yay! [/EDIT]

New Poster

Just tried to get my SB6141 activated - no luck. Tech is coming out Sunday, no charge. If anyone gets info on this modem please post.

Problem Solver

Sally1113 wrote:

Just tried to get my SB6141 activated - no luck. Tech is coming out Sunday, no charge. If anyone gets info on this modem please post.

You bought your own modem, tired to activate it, it failed.  Comcast coming out for no charge???  Don't bet on  it.

Bronze Problem Solver

sabretooth wrote:

Sally1113 wrote:

You bought your own modem, tired to activate it, it failed.  Comcast coming out for no charge???  Don't bet on  it.

Agree 100%. You will be charged for a tech to come out to activate a modem. Good luck with that.. Provideing your signal levels are good there is nothing a tech can do that you cant do to activate your modem. They will add the (Self install fail fee)  I use the SB-6141 and it took less then 5 minutes on the phone for full activation. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Did you not see a modem self activation page in browser when you first hooked it up ?
Frequent Visitor

Mine would not activate when I first got it using the online auto activate, it would start, but then error out.  I tried it in IE, Firefox and Chrome.  I finally had to call in and give the HFC MAC and serial number to the rep and she had it up and running in about 5 minutes.  After a couple of times of my modem being just randomly deactivated over the past few months, it would always reactivate using the online activator, just would not do it the first time.

[Edit]  Just throwing it out there, but you did give the Comcast rep the HFC MAC and not the Ethernet MAC right?  Mine came with a little white sticker that had the HFC MAC and serial # on it. [/Edit]

Diamond Problem Solver