Community Forum

Comparing existing modem (Arris TG1682G) to purchased one (Arris TM822R)

New Poster

Comparing existing modem (Arris TG1682G) to purchased one (Arris TM822R)

Hoping someone could guide me on this:

I have an Arris TG1682G modem that I rent from Comcast. It works fine, but:

1) I don't need the wifi (I keep it turned off) because I have my own mesh network and

2) I wanted to buy rather than rent

So I bought (but haven't yet opened) the Arris TM822R because it was the only model I could find that includes a telephone jack.

But now I see that the "Download and Upload Channels" on the new one is "8x4." I looked up online the specs for my existing TG1682G but I can't find anything about the "channels."

So my questions:

1) Does the TG1682G have more channels than the TM822R's "8x4?"

2) If so, will I get a degradation of speed if I swap in the TM822R? When do channels come into play?

3) Is there a different model I *should* get that is as good as (or better) than the TG1682G but without the wifi I don't need but WITH the telephone jack.

Thank you for any insights!

Lazza

Expert

Re: Comparing existing modem (Arris TG1682G) to purchased one (Arris TM822R)

The TG1682G is 24x8 channel bonding. You won’t really see a speed degradation. Channels come into play with congestion. Comparable models are the Arris SVG2482AC and the Netgear C7100V. The only eMTA they have without Wi-Fi is the one you just bought.
Silver Problem Solver

Actually the 1682G started out as 24x8, but had a firmware update to make it 32x8.

There is another recent addition to the approved device list a 16x4 eMTA the Netgear CM500V.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Telephone-download-680Mbps-Certified/dp/B075XGZ6GL

Temp out of stock at Amazon, but would be good for up to the current Extreme 300/25 tier.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

Diamond Problem Solver

comicalcats wrote:

2) I wanted to buy rather than rent 

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, there are six devices available at retail that they will activate for service are the Arris TG862G, the Arris SVG2482AC, the Netgear C7100V, the Arris TM822G, the Arris TM722G, and the Netgear CM500 eMTA. The 862 is a combo cable modem / router / eMTA gateway device but it is a piece of junk. But it can be put in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a cable modem with phone support. You would the use your own high quality stand-alone router with it.

The SVG2482AC and the C7100V are much better performing combo gateway devices that offer 24 downstream channels. The 822 is an eMTA that offers only 8 downstream channels. The 722 is an older eMTA that offers only 4 downstream channel bonding capability so it won't be able deliver their fastest speed tiers like 150 and faster. They are hard to find as they are not being manufactured anymore. And the latest approved eMTA modem (no built in router), the Netgear CM500V. Although only 16 downstream channels, It would be good for up to their current Extreme 300 tier.

Expert

Paraniod wrote:

Actually the 1682G started out as 24x8, but had a firmware update to make it 32x8.

There is another recent addition to the approved device list a 16x4 eMTA the Netgear CM500V.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Telephone-download-680Mbps-Certified/dp/B075XGZ6GL

Temp out of stock at Amazon, but would be good for up to the current Extreme 300/25 tier.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

Actualy I was told otherwise by Comcast Engineering. I was told GUI shows 32x8 but it really is only 24x8. I also know personally becuase I have a 28-channel area and have never seen any TG1682G lock all 32, 24 at most. Along with confirmation from netcool as well.

Silver Problem Solver

Oh well, when I had one it was locked on 24, but that's all I had at the time. The GUI definately had space for 32. Smiley Happy

New Poster

Thank you for your reply, Jweaver.

When you say "You won’t really see a speed degradation. Channels come into play with congestion." Do you mean congestion from various users (ie my family) on the network? If so, why wouldn't I see a degredation?

Expert

Congestion as in other users on the Comcast network in your area.

Silver Problem Solver

Paraniod wrote:

Oh well, when I had one it was locked on 24, but that's all I had at the time. The GUI definately had space for 32. Smiley Happy

So, how do I find out what my market will support?  I might want to purchase my own device.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

Paraniod wrote:

So, how do I find out what my market will support?  I might want to purchase my own device.

You could look at the reports here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29743167-Signals-Report-16-24-32-Downstream-Channel-Bonding-Here~st...

There are a couple of recent reports, but I doubt many are even bothering to post.

I got a D3.1 modem, where I am the OFDM channel has been available about a year. I noticed during the summer that the D3.0 channels went from 24/4 locked to 28/3 locked plus the OFDM.

If what weaver suggests above is correct, then with a Comcast gateway you will only see 24 downstream channels. I suppose you could always ask Comcast how many channels you have in your area? Smiley Happy

Expert

I actually asked netcool on dslreports but I also found out since I have the Netgear C7800 32x8 D3.0 with 2x2 OFDM/A. So then I just plugged it in and waited for walled garden to be able to access the GUI of it.
New Poster

24x8

Diamond Problem Solver

Dead thread from last year now being closed.