Community Forum

Commscope CSAPDU5VPI passive amplifier has no power inserter - easy fix?

New Poster

Commscope CSAPDU5VPI passive amplifier has no power inserter - easy fix?

We just moved into a new apartment and are trying to get internet setup. I have activated internet service but I plugged my modem into every cable outlet in the apartment while on the phone with xfinity customer service and wasn't able to get a signal anywhere. The comcast representative scheduled a tech to come take a look but it's not for over a week.

After the call I found a Commscope CSAPDU5VPI 5-way amplifier in the broom cupboard. There is nothing connected to the power-in, but coax leading to the first 3 outputs and a coax leading to the input. The coax leading to the input does not have a power inserter attached, it goes directly to the closest coax port in the apartment. And, as expected, the power light is off on the bottom of the unit.

I'm assuming that the previous tenant either took the power inserter with them or returned it to xfinity when they terminated service. I'm wondering if all I need to do is get a Commscope power inserter, attach it to the output 1 line, and we'll be good to go?

Or is it possible to simply unplug the input from the amplifier and plug it directly into our modem? For the time being, we don't need any of the coax points in the apartment to work - we just want working internet!

If all we need is the power inserter, I'm also wondering whether it's possible the local xfinity office might have these for us to pick up or purchase, or whether I should just order another CSAPDU5VPI on amazon.com and use the power inserter from that.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Official Employee

Re: Commscope CSAPDU5VPI passive amplifier has no power inserter - easy fix?

You can either bypass the amp altogether or if you know which outlet it is move it to the voip port. It doesn’t need power to function (like a 2 way splitter inside)
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Commscope CSAPDU5VPI passive amplifier has no power inserter - easy fix?

I moved the connection we were using to the VoIP port and that worked! Thank you