Community Forum

Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Frequent Visitor
Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

When you say sometimes changing DNS to Google, it hints at saying the Comcast DNS is not the problem. I can use Windows Update server connections perfectly fine on the Comcast DNS. Check your firewall. Temporarily disable it and see if the connection goes through.

 

Also, some of the people who wrote about the issue in the links you provided, states Comcast nowhere on some of those links nor have some of them stated that their ISP is Comcast.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

I believe that if users are not able to able to connect to Windows Update servers with Comcast's DNS servers, but are able connect to the moment they switch their DNS server to Google's DNS servers or to their own VPN, then the problem lies with Comcast.

 

If you are on Comcast, in command prompt (no need to be an elevated user), type this:

 

nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

The output will be:

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

This the wrong output, as it should be something like this (when you are connected to Google's DNS):

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cs11.wpc.v0cdn.net
Addresses:  2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d
          72.21.81.240
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          wu.azureedge.net
          wu.ec.azureedge.net
          wu.wpc.apr-52dd2.edgecastdns.net
          hlb.apr-52dd2-0.edgecastdns.net

 

I truly hope that Comcast techs are able to look into this and see what is going on, whether or not this is Comcast's problem or Microsoft's problem, and issue a statement.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

I have only Windows Defender as a firewall. Windows Defender is unable to update due to this issue.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

My Son reports the problem on all 3 of the Computer systems,  1 is trying out Windows Defender (that PC unable to update virus definitions since Windows update not working)   Laptop and My PC run Avast Free Antivirus,  again those aren't working either

 

WIndows 10 Home on Laptop

Windows 10 Pro on the Desktops my Son says

 

Modem: Netgear C7100V Gateway, already restarted once no change

 

 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Also not working here in the Chicago area.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Also wanted to say that Xboxone will not download Wibdows Store apps either.
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Tried switching to Google DNS for ipv4 and ipv6 -- does not resolve issue for me.  Opinions are all over the place on this one and the Microsoft Outage Report page is showing portions of the US, UK, other locales in Europe, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines and a tiny bit of Australia.  It would be nice to hear something definitive from Microsoft and Comcast (other ISPs involved as well).

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

I am one of those Comcast customers that have the issue and changhing to Google DNS INSTANTLY fixed the problem. I understand this is not the same for all. I'm in Northern California.

 

 

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Clear or flush your DNS cache.

 

Should be noted that Microsoft had an issue with its XBox Live Core Services also that caused several consoles to temporarily brick. 

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

I believe that if users are not able to able to connect to Windows Update servers with Comcast's DNS servers, but are able connect to the moment they switch their DNS server to Google's DNS servers or to their own VPN, then the problem lies with Comcast.

 

If you are on Comcast, in command prompt (no need to be an elevated user), type this:

 

nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

The output will be:

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

This the wrong output, as it should be something like this (when you are connected to Google's DNS):

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cs11.wpc.v0cdn.net
Addresses:  2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d
          72.21.81.240
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          wu.azureedge.net
          wu.ec.azureedge.net
          wu.wpc.apr-52dd2.edgecastdns.net
          hlb.apr-52dd2-0.edgecastdns.net

 

I truly hope that Comcast techs are able to look into this and see what is going on, whether or not this is Comcast's problem or Microsoft's problem, and issue a statement.


What is the issue with this?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

The issue is that the Comcast DNS servers are NOT returning an address. If you look at the responses from Google DNS, you see multiple addresses and alias names. Comcast DNS doesn't return any IP address. You can also see if doing a "Ping ctldl.windowsupdate.com" works.

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@darkangelic wrote:

Clear or flush your DNS cache.

 

Should be noted that Microsoft had an issue with its XBox Live Core Services also that caused several consoles to temporarily brick. 

 


This does not fix the issue. As I have said, this is an issue with Comcast's DNS servers itself being unable to connect to Windows Update. If you have Comcast, you can perform the same Command prompt:

 

nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 75.75.75.75

 

And you will see that this is a Comcast issue.

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@Rebop2015 wrote:

I am one of those Comcast customers that have the issue and changhing to Google DNS INSTANTLY fixed the problem. I understand this is not the same for all. I'm in Northern California.

 

 


I believe if you are on Windows 7, you only need to change your IPv4 DNS server. If you are on 10, you will need to switch both the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS servers. Haven't tried this out myself manually since switching to a VPN quickly changes both DNS servers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Thius happened on myWindows 10 machine. Changed both. On Win 7, the post above showing the reply from the CMD inquiry was spot on and with Comcast DNS showed no return and with Google replied with ip address, etc. I do believe this is an issue. Maybe not the only one regarding the Windows Update issue, but definitely an issue none-the-less.

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Could not ping here in Northern NJ;

 

C:\Users\upsan>Ping ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

Ping request could not find host ctldl.windowsupdate.com. Please check the name and try again.

 

C:\Users\upsan>

 

Hostname does not resolve in to a numerical IP addy.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

And you will see that this is a Comcast issue.


 

If that were the case, then everyone who changed their DNS servers to something other than Comcast would see it fixed.  Except that it doesn't. 

 

It also doesn't account for the fact that a lot of Comcast users can get Windows Update just fine. 

 

There might be an issue with the Comcast DNS, but so far I can't rule out other factors that might be invovled.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@darkangelic wrote:

There might be an issue with the Comcast DNS, but so far I can't rule out other factors that might be invovled.


Yep agreed @darkangelic. This is not a "one size fits all".



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@darkangelic wrote:

@ShadowMario3 wrote:

And you will see that this is a Comcast issue.


 

If that were the case, then everyone who changed their DNS servers to something other than Comcast would see it fixed.  Except that it doesn't. 

 

It also doesn't account for the fact that a lot of Comcast users can get Windows Update just fine. 

 

There might be an issue with the Comcast DNS, but so far I can't rule out other factors that might be invovled.


This is more than likely due to people only changing their IPv4 DNS server, and not their IPv6 DNS server.

 

Also, I haven't seen any Comcast user say that they do not have issues with Windows Updates at the moment. This doesn't seem to be a regional issue either, since I live in CT, but a friend with Comcast who lives in TX has the same problem. Granted, not many people are complaining about it, but that is due to this being a slow time in terms of Windows Updates. Once Patch Tuesday (second Tuesday of every month) rolls around and this issue still isn't fixed, I'm sure more people will complain.

 

Of course, this could be an issue with Microsoft, but the fact that this is only affect Comcast users is fishy. So far, neither Comcast nor Microsoft has said anything about this, and it would be nice for someone to explain what is going on, since changing your DNS is not a solution, just a workaround.

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

 

Of course, this could be an issue with Microsoft, but the fact that this is only affect Comcast users is fishy. 

Someone upthread reported that other ISPs are affected also, so obviously your assertion is incorrect. 

 

 


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

Also, I haven't seen any Comcast user say that they do not have issues with Windows Updates at the moment. .


You didn't read @jweaver0312 's response, did you? 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

At the risk of sounding stupid since most of you surpass my  moderate tech knowledge -- what do we do and how do we find out?  I've tried everything in this thread and on other forums and for me, nothing has worked.  I have to go to the Windows Defender definitions page and manually download and install updates every few hours.  

 

Two additional points:

 

1.  I have Windows 10 and changed from Comcast ipv4 and ipv6 to Google DNS -- did not fix issue

2.This is not just affecting Comcast customers (albeit not all).  It's been reported globally for over two days.  Left click on the map and move it around.  Affected countries keep changing.

https://outage.report/microsoft

 

Earlier today, Australia, Brazil and a host of countries in Southeast Asia were reporting.  Last night, Italy, France and Germany were in the mix along with Finland and Iceland.  Right now, it appears to be the US and UK, but that may change.

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@darkangelic wrote:

@ShadowMario3 wrote:

 

Of course, this could be an issue with Microsoft, but the fact that this is only affect Comcast users is fishy. 

Someone upthread reported that other ISPs are affected also, so obviously your assertion is incorrect. 


They were referring to a problem that is separate from Windows Update (Microsoft Store on the Xbox), and it is unknown if these two are related.

 

There is an article published about this issue:

 

https://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-update-not-working-you-re-not-alone-524777.shtml

 

That shows Comcast and BT Broadband (UK ISP) are having this issue with Windows Updates, but no other ISP (from what has been reported) is. It's likely that Comcast and BT Broadband have an issue with connecting to Microsoft's Update server for some reason.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Still broken for me on Comcast DNS, works with Google and Level 3:

 


C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 75.75.75.75
Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75
Non-authoritative answer:
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com
                                                                                [ <--- no IP addresses ]

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          93.184.221.240
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 4.2.2.2
Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          95.101.34.9
          95.101.34.11
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net
C>
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Be careful as many computers may have mulitple network adaptors, such as Ethernet and WiFi. You may need to either change all of them, or temporarily disable one that you believe should not be used (such as WiFi if you have an Ethernet cable connected.)

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Has anyone tried ipconfig /flushdns followed by ipconfig /registerdns ? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@BruceW wrote:

Still broken for me on Comcast DNS, works with Google and Level 3:

 


C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 75.75.75.75
Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75
Non-authoritative answer:
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com
                                                                                [ <--- no IP addresses ]

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          93.184.221.240
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 4.2.2.2
Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          95.101.34.9
          95.101.34.11
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net
C>

Funny enough Windows 8.1 will update definitions without changing DNS. I did the test on my 8.1 laptop.

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

I tried nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com earlier today and got the wrong output.  I just tried it again, using Comcast DNS, and got the correct returns.  I hit Windows Update to check for updates and it worked -- Defender updated.  Are we fixed?  Perhaps .........

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

It seems as of 2:37pm EST, the issue is finally fixed with no need to flush the DNS. Comcast DNS is connecting to Windows Update with no issue.

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@BruceW wrote:

Still broken for me on Comcast DNS, works with Google and Level 3:

 


C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 75.75.75.75
Server:  cdns01.comcast.net
Address:  75.75.75.75
Non-authoritative answer:
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com
                                                                                [ <--- no IP addresses ]

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          93.184.221.240
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net

C>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com 4.2.2.2
Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net
Addresses:  2001:4de0:ac10::1:1:19
          95.101.34.9
          95.101.34.11
Aliases:  ctldl.windowsupdate.com
          audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
          au.download.windowsupdate.com.hwcdn.net
C>

FWIW the Comcast DNS server query yields this hostname;

 

"Name:    ctldl.windowsupdate.com"

 

and the others yield this hostname;

 

 "Name:    cds.d2s7q6s2.hwcdn.net"

 

The CDN letters in the suffix suggest that this host is Content Distribution Network server, likely to be in a different region / geographic location / different routing.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

It seems as of 2:37pm EST, the issue is finally fixed with no need to flush the DNS. Comcast DNS is connecting to Windows Update with no issue.


Are you saying it's fixed for just you with no need to flush DNS or that it is fixed for all? and if it is fixed for all how can you be sure? Has something changed? thanks

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@markimusprime1 wrote:

@ShadowMario3 wrote:

It seems as of 2:37pm EST, the issue is finally fixed with no need to flush the DNS. Comcast DNS is connecting to Windows Update with no issue.


Are you saying it's fixed for just you with no need to flush DNS or that it is fixed for all? and if it is fixed for all how can you be sure? Has something changed? thanks


Earlier today and yesterday, when i flushed the DNS, it didn't fix the issue at all. Now, without needing to flush it, everything is back to normal. It is possible that Comcast of Microsoft fixed something on their end in terms of which cdn is used since it no longer points to Akaimai:

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cs11.wpc.v0cdn.net
Addresses: 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d
72.21.81.240
Aliases: ctldl.windowsupdate.com
audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
wu.azureedge.net
wu.ec.azureedge.net
wu.wpc.apr-52dd2.edgecastdns.net
hlb.apr-52dd2-0.edgecastdns.net

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

It appears to have been corrected. At least here anyway;

 

C:\Users\upsan>ping ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

Pinging cs11.wpc.v0cdn.net [2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d] with 32 bytes of data:

 

Reply from 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d: time=15ms
Reply from 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d: time=16ms
Reply from 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d: time=14ms
Reply from 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d: time=13ms

Ping statistics for 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 14ms

 

C:\Users\upsan>nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com

 

Server: UnKnown
Address: fe80::8e3b:adff:fe1d:3693

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: c-0001.c-msedge.net
Addresses: 2a01:111:2003::50
72.21.81.240
Aliases: ctldl.windowsupdate.com
audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
au.au-msedge.net
au.c-0001.c-msedge.net



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Should note this post by another user: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/126363-windows-update-windows-store-not-able-up...

 


To update everyone, I have just chatted with Comcast, and they are aware of the problem with both their servers and with Cloudflare servers, and are currently working on resolving the issue. The agent assured me that they will communicate with Microsoft if necessary to resolve this new DNS routing problem, which they think was introduced with the January Cumulative Update for Windows 10 that came out a few days ago (the one MS calls KB4476976).

For now, Google's DNS servers remain the only ones that I have found that will allow connections to Windows Update and Windows Store to complete successfully.

Hope this info helps... 



Even though a Windows 10 Update shouldn't have been the issue (since it also affected Windows 7 and 8 devices as well), it seems that Comcast support knew of the issue, but they never really sent out a statement about it. Ah well.

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

Northern California Comcast here with same issue.

Changing the DNS to Google instantly fixed the issue for me. 

Or using VPN, or Using mobile Hotspot from Verizon.

 

After countless hours troubleshooting and trying every Windows Update fix imaginable, the issue was clearly with Comcast.

And this was on all my machines and also on a machine with a fresh install machine of Windows 10 1809 17763.01 without the 2019-01 cumulative update. 

 

Has this been officially fixed now by Comcast? Will they update anyone by any means when it is? Email, post here, bulletin? Or will they ignore the issue completely, fix on the backend, and never publicly acknowledge it?

 

New Poster

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ImpetuousRacer wrote:
Has this been officially fixed now by Comcast? Will they update anyone by any means when it is? Email, post here, bulletin? Or will they ignore the issue completely, fix on the backend, and never publicly acknowledge it?

 


 

Seems that it has officially been fixed now, at least for the Northeast. Also, the latter is most likely what they did/are doing.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

@ImpetuousRacer wrote:
Has this been officially fixed now by Comcast? Will they update anyone by any means when it is? Email, post here, bulletin? Or will they ignore the issue completely, fix on the backend, and never publicly acknowledge it?

 


 

Seems that it has officially been fixed now, at least for the Northeast. Also, the latter is most likely what they did/are doing.


Houston Texas:

C:\Users\rwyco>ping ctldl.windowsupdate.com

Pinging c-0001.c-msedge.net [2a01:111:2003::50] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a01:111:2003::50: time=18ms
Reply from 2a01:111:2003::50: time=14ms
Reply from 2a01:111:2003::50: time=15ms
Reply from 2a01:111:2003::50: time=14ms

Ping statistics for 2a01:111:2003::50:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 15ms

C:\Users\rwyco>

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@ShadowMario3 wrote:

@markimusprime1 wrote:

@ShadowMario3 wrote:

It seems as of 2:37pm EST, the issue is finally fixed with no need to flush the DNS. Comcast DNS is connecting to Windows Update with no issue.


Are you saying it's fixed for just you with no need to flush DNS or that it is fixed for all? and if it is fixed for all how can you be sure? Has something changed? thanks


Earlier today and yesterday, when i flushed the DNS, it didn't fix the issue at all. Now, without needing to flush it, everything is back to normal. It is possible that Comcast of Microsoft fixed something on their end in terms of which cdn is used since it no longer points to Akaimai:

 

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: cs11.wpc.v0cdn.net
Addresses: 2606:2800:11f:85d:13e0:11e9:1a6:201d
72.21.81.240
Aliases: ctldl.windowsupdate.com
audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net
wu.azureedge.net
wu.ec.azureedge.net
wu.wpc.apr-52dd2.edgecastdns.net
hlb.apr-52dd2-0.edgecastdns.net


Good morning.  I'd like to be educated as the information in this thread has been fabulous.

 

Ever since the DNS issue started, I've been running the command prompt nslookup ctldl.windowsupdate.com and of course received the wrong output.  Once everything started working again for me yesterday afternoon, I've been sporadically running the command prompt to see what it shows -- this is how you learn.  The DNS lookup points to a differnt location (if that's the correct term) every time the prompt is run.  However, Akamai comes up quite a bit.  Is this normal or is it an indication of an issue?  Yesterday's frustration has today turned into a desire to learn.

 

Thanks to all who generously give their knowledge and time!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

It is normal to vary what server it connects to. It is a Content Distribution Network (CDN), and it will choose a server based on capacity and where it thinks you are located.

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@andyross wrote:

It is normal to vary what server it connects to. It is a Content Distribution Network (CDN), and it will choose a server based on capacity and where it thinks you are located.


Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Much appreciated.  Nice to learn something new.

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@flaboy wrote:

@andyross wrote:

It is normal to vary what server it connects to. It is a Content Distribution Network (CDN), and it will choose a server based on capacity and where it thinks you are located.


Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Much appreciated.  Nice to learn something new.


Azureedge.net and msedge.net are registered to Microsoft, and from the names appear to be Edge Servers, which basically work as entry points for outside users to access the main network's contents. An edge server or two could've gone down, which caused fatal timeouts when Comcast, BT Internet, Cloudflare, and the other affected DNS servers tried to retrieve a CDN IP. 

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server


@darkangelic wrote:

@flaboy wrote:

@andyross wrote:

It is normal to vary what server it connects to. It is a Content Distribution Network (CDN), and it will choose a server based on capacity and where it thinks you are located.


Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Much appreciated.  Nice to learn something new.


Azureedge.net and msedge.net are registered to Microsoft, and from the names appear to be Edge Servers, which basically work as entry points for outside users to access the main network's contents. An edge server or two could've gone down, which caused fatal timeouts when Comcast, BT Internet, Cloudflare, and the other affected DNS servers tried to retrieve a CDN IP. 

 


Makes a lot of sense.  Thank you.  

 

Interesting read on the DNS issue -- https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-aware-of-windows-update-bug-fix-possibly-rolled-out-quietl...

Expert

Re: Comcast your DNS is not connecting to windows update server

This has not been a good week for Microsoft, for sure. 😹

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
0CE73CA0-D76D-4C8C-96B6-77E3076F17F8.jpeg