Community Forum

Comcast xfinity (technicolor) DPC3941T XB3 (Wireless Gateway) vs. ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable modem

New Poster

Comcast xfinity (technicolor) DPC3941T XB3 (Wireless Gateway) vs. ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable modem

Hi all,

Just a quick question. We recently upgraded to Comcast Blast! Pro (speed tier of 150 Mbps). With our old SURFboard SB6141, we can not get 150Mbps. So we called Comcast and they sent a technician to my house for troubleshooting. I was late for the appointment for about 10 minutes, but the technican went ahead and replaced the SB6141 cable modem with a Comcast Xfinity "Wireless Gateway" (Model: DPC3941T, Device Type: XB3). When I asked him whether there is a charge for this, he said no. However, one week later, we noticed that we were charged for US$10 monthly equipment rental fee. I called Xfinity and they told me it's for the "wireless gateway" rental. Of course I was not happy, and they suggested that I can just return my "Wireless Gateway" to local Comcast store and get a cable modem for myself.

I then did some research online, and bought ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 from Amazon (download speed: 1.4 Gbps, with 32 download & 8 upload channels). However, when I plug it in and activated it, I'm only getting about 130Mbps down (when laptop directly connect to cable modem). When I connect the cable modem to a 8-port wireless router (D-Link DIR-632), my download speed (wired) became only 90Mbps. Any idea why??

Theoretically, the DPC3941T is only allowing for 24x4, while the SB6190 is 32x8. So SB6190 should be faster. But somehow that was not the case. Does anyone know what might be the reason, and if the Comcast technician come, what kind of "tweaking" they can do to fix this issue? Thanks!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Comcast xfinity (technicolor) DPC3941T XB3 (Wireless Gateway) vs. ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable m

FWIW, you can only get the amount of channels that are actually present / configured on your local CMTS / system no matter what a modem is capable of delivering. No areas have 8 upstream and not many have 32 downstream yet. To add to that, technically 8 downstreams are enough for your speedtier.

That said, post your signal stats so that we can see if they are in or out of spec and how many channels the modem is actually locking on to. Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast xfinity (technicolor) DPC3941T XB3 (Wireless Gateway) vs. ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 cable m

whchuang wrote: ... When I connect the cable modem to a 8-port wireless router (D-Link DIR-632), my download speed (wired) became only 90Mbps. ...

The DIR-632 only has 10/100 Ethernet ports (see ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DIR-632/REVA/DIR-632_DATASHEET_1.00_EN.PDF ) so 90 Mbps is about the most you can expect through the device. For a faster Ethernet connection you'd need a router (and a computer) with gigabit ports.

Diamond Problem Solver

Please still post the requested signal stuff anyway to see if that's up to snuff. The next question would have been "what do you get when connected directly to the 6190"...

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved: