Community Forum

Comcast's XB6 wireless gateway

New Poster

Comcast's XB6 wireless gateway

Why can't you find any positive comments about Xfinity new XB6 wireless gateway?

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Comcast's XB6 wireless gateway

Typically, people don't come here to tell us how well equipment is working.

I am not an employee.
New Poster

I am trying to find out if anyone has found a solution to poor performance or consistency with this new gateway. This is a replacement for supposedly an outdated gateway, but so far it has been a total frustration battle even with hours on the phone with tech support.

Expert

What kind of issues are you having?

I am not an employee.
Regular Visitor

There is very little information on this DOCSIS 3.1 gateway since it seems to be proprietary to Xfinity. The XB6 has some status lights on the top which go from red to green to white or some combination. After about a an hour of setup ( Apparently you need to run the setup program and then contact Xfinity to run another setup as well as an additional reboot), if you are lucky, you can request a web page. Speedtest will vary between 3 and 4 Mbps to about 160 Mbps. After about 30 minutes of being on the web the status lights will go from green or white to red and any web requests will timeout. 

Regular Visitor

I am trying to find out if anyone has had the same bad experience with this gateway, and if there is a solution. I received the XB6 from a local xfinity store in plastic wrap. You could not tell if it was new because there was nothing else that came with it and no instructions. I have spent a lot of time with tech support to resolve this issue without success, so I thought that I might find some resolution in this forum. Is the best solution buying a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem with a separate router and avoiding the XB6?

Expert

I haven't heard a lot of complaints about the XB6.

Start here: troubleshooting guide -- please post a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log.

I am not an employee.
Diamond Problem Solver

@Nerdburg wrote:

I haven't heard a lot of complaints about the XB6.

FWIW, I have here. Puma 7 chipset just as bad as the Puma 6 ?

New Poster

If the Puma 6 and 7 chipsets are bad, is there an XB6 with a good chipset? Broadcom? How can you tell and how can you get a gateway or modem that will work?

New Poster

Thank you for your help. Since the XB6 is not the problem, I will have Comcast check the lines and connections. This was just checked last fall and everything was OK. I am currently using an older gateway and it is more reliable except that it randomly  boots itself at overnight.

Contributor

I received and installed my XB6 gateway just over a day ago. I have the Technicolor CGM4140com XB6 not the Arris unit. I walked into my local Comcast store and asked for a new gateway, didn't specify any model, and was given this wrapped in plastic with just a power cord and a 2 page quick start guide(4 pgs, 2 languages). I installed easily.
I used the XFi app on my phone to do the install. Super simple. Easiest ever and never had to call Comcast.
Know 1st that there is only one light on top unlike all other models/gateways. It blinks and changes colors during setup and use. Solid white is all good👍.
The XFi app walks you through install and setup step by step with pictures and directions. Have your cell phone out and get in XFi app before beginning and go to DEVICES, then go to ADD DEVICES. Once you get to where it says BEGUN TO ADD NEW GATEWAY is something like that simply begin the steps and follow to the T.
I had to click RETRY TO INSTALL 3 times because I did not give the new XB6 enough time after I ugged it in before starting the SETUP/INSTALL process in XFi app. But it all worked or hectic and took roughly 25 minutes. So if you get an error message in XFi after trying to setup and transfer all preexisting settings just relax and click "try again" until it works. And pay attention to the light on XB6, it should stay solid white, not blink slowly. AND on you phone or whatever you used should also say "SUCCESS, setup complete!"
Remember to reset your 10.0.0.1 admin login password. It resets to generic password again. Only your home WiFi passwords get transferred. And I found to make any changes to your wifi bands use the XFi app rather than 10.0.0.1.
Mine is working great so far. Good luck!👍
Contributor

Once you have gotten the XB6 gateway setup and working, there will be more detailed descriptions and options in the XFi app for making changes to you gateway advanced features than before. Nicely more detailed info given. XFi app is getting more of the 10.0.0.1 admin pages little by little in very small increments.
Regular Visitor

I self installed gcm4140com broadcom chipset.  The kit booklet offers several install options and I chose via Lan. I replaced a XB3 box with the XB6 due to Comcast offer of free upgrade.  The whole process took 1/2 hr. It went totally painless, it even offered to transfer my old settings.  I ran both xfinity speed test on 2.4 and 5 ghz channels using android tablet and win 10 laptop. I also ran a network analyzer app.  Please understand this is totally my personal observations. My home is a 2story home in a large community with very close spacing and lot of neighbor radio congestion. I forced channel 1  20 bandwidth and 48 20/40/80 bandwidth.  The 2.4 ghz channel works relatively equal to the XB3 as in -27 dbm in a given location in house. After XB6 install 5ghz went from -48 dbm to -30 dbm.  Astonishing!  The box itself has a very pleasing look and very small footprint, very low heat output compared to XB3.  Now icing on cake; no more eye searing light tree display.   We streamed 2 1080p films from 2 computers concurrently to 2 TVs and played games on 3 androids mixed bands and everything worked like a charm, especially I got strong 5 ghz all over house.

So, I don't currently own any AC gear and can't speak for that band yet, but this is the most impressive gateway to me, get one fast as you can, blows everything else away.  This might sound like I am in any way involved with Comast, but I am not and feel they really hit the nail on the head here.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Just self-installed my XB6 this morning and I'll give it an early two-thumbs up!  I was really impressed with the activation process.  I was upgrading from an XB3 and when I activated the XB6 I was given the option to port the settings from my XB3.  I thought it would only port my SSID and password settings, but it actually brought over all of the port forwarding settings and it also set the IP address for the new gateway to 192.168.1.1 to match my old setup.  This was nice as I have some devices set up with static IP addresses and I need the port forwarding for remote access to my NAS drive.

I've only been using the XB6 for eight hours, but everything is working perfectly and speed tests are reporting 390 Mbps wireless download speeds.

As a bonus, it's a nicer looking piece of equipment.

At this point, I don't have a sense of whether the WiFi range is significantly different from my old XB3.

Regular Visitor

After getting a refurbished XB6, I lost connectivity about once a week or shorter. I also learned that other neighbors were also experiencing similar problems and one that had a technician out 3 times before a supervisor came out. ... After moving out of Denver and receiving a brand new XB6, I have had to reboot only one time because of a power outage. I have since learned that there are also different manufacturers of the XB6 and there can be a difference. Also the XB6 has only two ethernet ports, so be aware unless you are totally wireless.