Community Forum

Comcast is sending me a mystery device to upgrade my router, theTEC TC8305C.

Contributor

Comcast is sending me a mystery device to upgrade my router, theTEC TC8305C.

I greed to update my router, expecting that Xfinity would then tell me what they consider to be an upgrade.  Their description was something completely general like "Xfinity Wi-Fi Device".  I want to look up the specs on this thing to see if it is in fact an upgrade.  I have to wait until next week when the new thing arrives.  Is this any way to run a railroad?  I went on Xfinity chat.  All Balbir could suggest is that maybe the new modem/router would be dual channel.  I know that the present device, the TEC TC8305C, is not the latest thing in wireless.  It's 802.11b/g/n compliant and there have been several new things in wireless since, like 802.11ac.  I just saw some pages on the web from 2014 describing 802.11ac.  I am sure there is something even newer.  I guess I just have to wait to see what wonderful thing they will send me.

Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast is sending me a mystery device to upgrade my router, theTEC TC8305C.

It sounds legit if you're having connection problems. The 2.4 ghz and 5ghz. dual band router/modems have been around a while. I prefer the 5ghz in my network because it's very fast. My 2.4ghz. band is half as fast as the 5. Good luck.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast is sending me a mystery device to upgrade my router, theTEC TC8305C.

They will be sending you an XB3 gateway. Usually a DPC3941T or an Arris TG1682G both are dual band wireless ac and have more downstream channels than your present gateway.

Official Employee

Hello @patrick-keating. If you still need assistance with identifying the device being shipped to you, assuming you have not already received it, I can help. If so, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

Regular Visitor

Just like patrick-keating, I found that there was an upgrade available for the TEC TC8305C I use and placed the order this morning 2/10. I too would like to know which unit is being sent. as noted here by a few posters, the dual band is the preferred unit and hopefully is one I will receive.

ComcastJoeTr, if it is not to much trouble, could you please find out which unit I may recieve if I PM you the info required for you to do so? Worse case scenario...if I do receive the single band by mail, would the quickest way to get the dual band is to exchange it at a comcast store? Thanks for your time and consideration..

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

Just like patrick-keating, I found that there was an upgrade available for the TEC TC8305C I use and placed the order this morning 2/10. I too would like to know which unit is being sent. as noted here by a few posters, the dual band is the preferred unit and hopefully is one I will receive.

ComcastJoeTr, if it is not to much trouble, could you please find out which unit I may recieve if I PM you the info required for you to do so? Worse case scenario...if I do receive the single band by mail, would the quickest way to get the dual band is to exchange it at a comcast store? Thanks for your time and consideration..

Just an FYI: I got a notice about sending a replacement gateway.  I had the Cisco DPC3941T XB3 and they sent me an Arris TG1682G XB3; both are dual-band.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-supported-routers-gateways-adapters

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Update: If anyone does order a replacement piece of equipment like the original poster and I have done, you can figure out what is being sent by watching your equipment list in "my accounts" . The model number will show up a day or so after your order. Also a big thanks to ComcastJoeTru, who confirmed very quickly that the DPC3941 XB3 was the unit I was being shipped.

RobertWy, since you have used both the 3941 and the 1682 which do you prefer? I was hoping for the 1682 just from the research I've done on both and obviously they sent you a 1682 as an upgrade. Your imput will be very much appreciated!

Contributor

Replying to my own original message: mystery is solved!  I got the Arris TG1682G.  It's fine.  But so was the previous one.  One bit of weirdness.  My treadmill has a wireless adapter that uses 802.11b.  I made sure that "b" is turned on in the new router, it's off by default, but I can't get the app from ifit.com to run.  Windows says the "download was corrupted", or something similar.  I tried again to get the app, even used a different computer, but the result is the same.  This is an Ifit.com problem, not caused by Comcast.