Community Forum

Comcast coax run versus ethernet run to/from DOCSIS modem with wi-fi & LAN switch being final stop?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast coax run versus ethernet run to/from DOCSIS modem with wi-fi & LAN switch being final stop?

All things being equal, is it better to
- Extend the Comcast coax coming into the basement at the rim joist and run a 20-30 foot coax line to the modem with the router next to it or, maybe about 12 feet away via ethernet (better wi-fi that way) or;
- Put the coax on the modem right where it enters the basement (still will need a short extender of 6-8 feet from Comcast cable) and run ethernet 20-30 feet from modem to the wi-fi router?
Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast coax run versus ethernet run to/from DOCSIS modem with wi-fi & LAN switch being fina

Let me simplify the question. Which method is better to get broadband from non wi-fi cable modem to wi-fi routers:

- run ethernet from DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 modem in basement utility corner 30 feet up to wi-fi router on first floor?

- extend incoming Xfinity coax 30 feet up to closet to modem, then short cable to wi-fi router?

Official Employee Digital Care

Re: Comcast coax run versus ethernet run to/from DOCSIS modem with wi-fi & LAN switch being fina

@tsakmok wrote:

Let me simplify the question. Which method is better to get broadband from non wi-fi cable modem to wi-fi routers:

- run ethernet from DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 modem in basement utility corner 30 feet up to wi-fi router on first floor?

- extend incoming Xfinity coax 30 feet up to closet to modem, then short cable to wi-fi router?

Great questions and thanks for posting in the forums! 

I think the heart of your question is would you get faster wiFi speeds over coax or via ethernet? If so, there really isn't much of a difference when it comes to data transfer over a certain footage of coax compared to ethernet.  In the same environment, they should perform pretty much the same. 

I personally would go with an ethernet cable because coaxial cables are more prone to signal loss due to microreflection and other impairments. Even so, the signal loss would be super minimal if you're working with quality coax and ethernet cabling. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

I would do the former. Especially if the Comcast system signal is on the weak side to begin with. You don't want to add even more attenuation by lengthening the coax and making the signal worse.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!