Community Forum

Comcast Leased Router versus Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Regular Visitor

Comcast Leased Router versus Netgear Nighthawk R7000

PROBLEM:

My comcast leased router gets faster wireless speeds than my $300 netgear setup. I'm losing my mind. I've spent upwards of 10 hours (over 2 months) dealing with tech support for both Comcast and Netgear. Still not resolved. If this doesn't get resolved I'm going to assume Comcast is throttling faster speeds to its own equipment.

EQUIPMENT:

Comcast: Cisco DPC3941T

Netgear Router: Nighthawk R7000

Netgear Modem: CM700 Modem

Device One: PC running windows 10, with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165

Device Two: iPhone 7 Plus

SPEEDS:

Comcast Wired to PC: 65 mbps

Comcast Wireless to PC: 65mbps

Comcast Wireless iPhone: 65mbps

Netgear Wired to PC: 65mbps

Netgear Wireless to PC (5GHz): 8mbps

Netgear Wireless to PC (2.4GHz): 25mbps

Netgear Wireless to iPhone (5GHz): 45mbps

Netgear Wireless to iPhone (2.4 GHz): 45mbps

All results using speedtest.net

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

- Every time I swap modems to compare speeds, I have to physically call Comcast to have them update my account profile to the correct device being used. I've even  gone into a Comcast retail store for them to do this in person. I've done this probably 10 times now. I have no idea why it's necessary, I just do it.

- Full swap out of all physical components, one at a time. I've replaced ethernet cables. I've used multiple cable wall outlets. Through my 100 phone calls with netgear, they have sent me THREE brand new router replacements. All of which have given me the exact same results.

- Through my 100 phone calls with netgear, I've done all the standard troubleshooting. Enabling and disabling 2.4 versus 5 GHZ... Changing channels and modes.... Trying older and newer versions of firmware.... Doing something in RUN command to test ping... I don't even remeber all the things i've done at this point. 

I'm desperate. I'm about to throw this $300 setup in the trash. I've spent so long dealing with tech support that I'm beyond the Best Buy return period. I did all of this with the hopes of saving $10/month on the comcast leased router fee. Which I'm still paying. Because I can't get mine to work.

Contributor

Re: Comcast Leased Router versus Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Have you tried contacting Comcast and having them make sure they provisioned the Netgear modem correctly? As in ensuring they send the correct file to the Netgear modem so that you get the proper speed for what you pay for. That's the only thing I can think of. I would recommend turning off the Xfinity Gateway, deactivating all the devices, install the Netgear modem and the Netgear router first. Then activate the modem, and if it still provides slow speeds then call up Comcast and make sure it is set up for the correct speed. Maybe you tried this already. Great in-depth post, keep us updated and I hope this works out for you! Smiley Happy

Update: I just noticed that the Netgear speed was good when connected with a Ethernet connection. Is this when you connect to the modem, or through the router? As in the computer is the only device connected to the modem and nothing else.

Regular Visitor

Yes, when I use a wired connection from the netgear router it works perfectly. It's only wireless speeds giving me headache.

Contributor

I hate to tell you to lease, but avoid the netgear. Why? Because comcast will make it obsolete at will.

I paid big bucks for an AC1900 a year or so ago because it had the xfinity sticker and said it would do 1gbp (technically 960mbps).  I was told by comcast it was supported and once I went 1gbps one day it would do the job.

Today I was told it won't work and tough luck. Buy a new modem. This was for a fully xfinity supported modem listed on their site and with a sponsored sticker on the box. Vocally told by two employees it was good up to 1gbs.

Diamond Problem Solver

Huh ? They stated that a wired connection works fine. How can it be what you have asserted ? This is a WiFi issue..
Contributor

I have had many Netgear devices, so I know about a few settings that could be affecting these speeds.

Try disabling the QoS (Quality of Service) feature. It tries to send the fastest speeds to certain devices. This may be why you get a much faster speed on the ethernet connection. It tries to allocate 50% of the network bandwidth to video streaming and the rest to general web usage. So, the physical speed that you will see is about 50% lower than the wired connection.

To do this, log into the Netgear Router, click advanced, setup, QoS setup. Make sure NONE of the boxes are checked, click apply, then reboot the entire system. Try testing the speeds now, and see if they improve. Let me know if this improves anything. Good Luck!

Note: This is what Netgear said to another person with a similar issue online.

With regard to your case, the speed will cut in half because the Downstream QoS is enabled on your router. It will allocate the half of the speed to Video Streaming since the Downstream if for Video Streaming. 

When downstream QoS assigns a high priority to streaming video, it also assigns lower priority to the rest of your Internet traffic. That means other tasks like downloading content from the Internet take longer.

Official Employee

Hello wendyshappelle.

If you're achieving proper speeds using the wired connection, then that rules out that we would be throttling your equipment. Since you are getting proper speed hardwired, this proves your modem is making proper locking/bonding with us. It also proves you have the correct speed profile/bootfile provisioned to your modem. Since your issue is isolated to WiFi only, we cannot troubleshoot WiFi equipment that is not ours. 

I can recommend you visit either of these pages for further WiFi support with your equipment:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/improve-your-wireless-home-network/

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...