Community Forum

Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Expert

Re: Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Best of luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I was having the blank screen upon show connected devices, but I realized I had reet the router in my efforts, security router would either be on 10.0.0.2, or 10.0.0.254(possibly).  I went and looked and sure enough the security router was on 10.0.0.3, behind my pc in the lineup.  So I reserved 10.0.0.2 for the security router (stock setting I believe), and was able to more or less immediately load the connected devices page (after reserving my pc and resetting it's nic).

New Poster

Does anyone know if the new software version fixes any of these issues?

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59S

New Poster

With firmware "eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59S" or 7.6.59S for short, my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.2 disconnects every 24 hours or so from the ARRIS TG862.

Restarting the Mac fails to correct the problem.

Restarting the ARRIS TG862 always fixes the problem for the next 24 hours or so.

Please help

Frequent Visitor

I had problems with this device for months.  Best advice I can give you is to return it and by your own equipment.  My problems were 100% resolved the second I started using my own equipment. 

They are charging you $8/month for a piece of equipment that their technicians have told me is "problematic" and "only works correctly on certain settings".  This is unacceptable and the company has failed in supprting a device that they've sent out to a large number of their customers.  I was able to get a modem and router for around $100 total. 

Frequent Visitor

@rodantrim wrote:
I was able to get a modem and router for around $100 total. 

If you don't mind could you tell me which modem and router?  Do they also handle the phone?  How did you get them to stop charging you once you replaced their POS?

Frequent Visitor

TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N300 Home Router

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y5RYNY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XC6GJ0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had been having various issues for months and replacing the Comcast device solved all of them.  I had a tech come out who essentially refused to swap out the device then tried to charge me to replace my cable runs because that's what he claimed my problem was.  Needless to say he was wrong.

I don't have phone through Comcast, neither of these devices handle the phone so I apologize for not being able to help you with that.

I brought my Comcast modem/router into a service location this afternoon, she removed the monthly rental fee for me, be sure to get a receipt just in case.  

Expert

If customer owned eMTA's are indeed allowed on your local system, I recommend this one using the router of your choice with it;

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I recommend purchasing your own eMTA modem if possible. The other option is to simply have your comcast modem placed into bridge mode and using your own Wi-Fi router. The arris gateway device is known to have terrible Wi-Fi performance although the wired seems OK.
Regular Visitor

If I put the Arris device in bridge mode (and instructions on that?) can I still use the phone jack on the Arris (but my own router for Wi-Fi)?   I have the triple-play package and would get penalties I'm sure if I dropped the phone.

Contributor

When placed in "Bridge Mode" the modem's Wi-Fi capabilities are simply disabled. The telephone jack will still be active.
Contributor

Simply contact Comcast via chat or phone call, and request internet team. Ask them to place your modem in bridge mode
Expert

Mention *FULL* bridge mode.

New Poster

I recently purchased an ARRIS TG862G from a company by the name "OwnYourModem.com" .I had very much trouble connecting the internet and phone (Miserable Comcast support ! Was sent to every country south of the U.S.!) After spending  4 days and nearly pulling out my hair dealing with these no nothing foreigners, I found the instruction Email they sent about (self install)! It was a wiz! I did it without using Comcast support ! Now the only problem is the WIFI not working. My smart TV will not detect it. I am wondering if it could be that I didn't install a battery in the base of the modem ? I'm going to try that and the Security mode "WPA-PSK(TKIP)". I'll soon know.

Problem Solver

The battery is just to power the TG862G if there is a power outage. It has nothing to do with the functioning of it. The TG862G wll work the same with or without it.

There is not one thing you can do to find why your smart TV is not working with the TG862G. Your best bet is to try the different things one by one until you find what works. You will have to read through this thread to find out what other people have found that works for them.

New Poster

Thanks Mister Ed.  I purchased this modem from "OwnYourModem.com" and it supposed to be a rebuilt modem. On the Xfinity speed test is gets 21.21 mbps. and upload at 4.35. They have a 60 day warranty on the modem, So i'm trying to get their help in getting the WIFI to work. I just got tired of paying Comcast $8.00 per month rent. This modem will pay for utself in little over a year.

Contributor

Try changing the security methods. You could also use a separate Wi-Fi router instead of the built in Wi-Fi router in the modem.
Frequent Visitor

Changing the security mode setting drops my speed considerably. Is that normal? I usually get 40 mbps download and about 11 mbps upload on my laptop and since changing the setting I get about almost 20 mbps download/11mbps upload.

Contributor

Yes

WEP security only supports the wireless-g standard. Using WEP security on a wireless-n network slows the entire network down to wireless-g speeds (54mbps).

WPA/WPA2 security is what you should use. It will support the full speed on your network.

If you have devices that don't support WPA/WPA2, create a guest network and secure it with WEP or leave it unsecured.

Are you using the Comcast supplied modem/router?

electricev
Frequent Visitor

Yes I'm using a Comcast router Arris model TG862G. The setting that would not drop my Roku connection (so far) is WPA2-PSK (TKIP) and the speed is slowed. Could it be my wireless card on my laptop?

Also, how do you set up a guest network on my router?

Contributor

The Arris often has problems with slow connections. I am trying to figure out where the problem is. Is your laptop a newer model? Does it support wireless-n? I always recommend buying your own router if possible. I don't think the Arris supports guest networking. To narrow the problem down to the device causing the slowdown. I would like you to factory reset the gateway and connect one device at a time, and after you connect each device, run a speedtest on a wifi device. The problem exists when you experience a slowdown after connecting a device, that device is the problem. Let me know your results and if you need help doing a factory reset.
Regular Contributor

I also have the TG862 but have given up on it for my requirements. I use media players to view videos in three locations in my home. I really don't need wirelss unless I use a laptop realtively close to the router.

There was no way the TG862 wireless could possibly send videos wirelessly to the media players so my solution was to use powerlines through my electric circuits. They work flawlessly.

As I mentioned, this is my solution to the slow wireless problem and not necessarily anyone else's.

Frequent Visitor

@electricev wrote:
The Arris often has problems with slow connections. I am trying to figure out where the problem is. Is your laptop a newer model? Does it support wireless-n? I always recommend buying your own router if possible. I don't think the Arris supports guest networking. To narrow the problem down to the device causing the slowdown. I would like you to factory reset the gateway and connect one device at a time, and after you connect each device, run a speedtest on a wifi device. The problem exists when you experience a slowdown after connecting a device, that device is the problem. Let me know your results and if you need help doing a factory resets.

I did the factory reset and every device was as before I switched the security mode and laptop was back up to it's top speed of about 40mbps DL/11mbps UL and the Roku started to drop its connection again. Oddly enough, I switched the security mode to WPA2-PSK (AES) and I'm getting my full sppeds on all devices and my Roku hasn't dropped its connectionn, for now. Perhaps it was confused by the dual modes of the default security mode? Of course, I could be back here later complaining that my Roku dropped connection again. LOL!!!

Contributor

Glad you figured it out. You want to use WPA2 -PSK(TKIP) or WPA2-PSK(AES) both are good security method, but I'm glad one of those method works for you.
Contributor

That's one way to go about it, I also have the TG862G but gave up on it, it is poorly designed and has awful range and wireless performance. I bought an Apple Airport Extereme and it streams simultaneous video very well. It can stream Netfilx to different locations at the same time and it does not drop the connection. I get the full speeds I pay for over Wi-Fi throughout my home. It also has great range, that reaches past my backyard.
Contributor

I have a new HP computer and since the day this modem was put in it dropped the internet. I replaced the HP WiFi card and the modem by Comcast that I lease. No results continue connection issues so.....I purchase a Netgear WiFi extender and the issue is gone. This modem so called WiFi is junk when it claims to be WiFi capable if your Windows 8.1 is more than 3' away. Yes it works fine if the computer is sitting in the same room but anymore than that Good Luck with Windows 8 and a cheap WiFi internal card! Windows 8.1 is misleading it indicated 5 bars of 5 bars but would drop the connection and then pick it right back up screw up! Now I have 15 days to test this out but I am real confident that I have found the solution?

Contributor

Sorry forgot to say how I fixed this issue with this So Called WiFi modem, I went to Wally World (Walmart) and purchased a Netgear range extender WN3000RP about 10' from this Arris modem and 5' away from this Windows 8 HP Envy computer and no more dropping issues. This is day 2 and it would have malfunction if this extender hadn't done something it costs under $80.00 and I am sure this was the right move for me. Comcast & HP were both stumped or didn't want to admit what the issue was but I think this is the solve.

Contributor

Yeah the Arris wifi modem's range is very short. I'm glad you fixed your problem. Basically the extender is doing all the work because the Arris has awful range most devices will probably pick up the extenders wifi.
New Poster

I am having similar problems, except the wifi to iPads/iPhone works good, wifi to windows 7 machines is slow and erratic. Both were OK for months, but recently PC speed is hopeless.
New Poster

I got the net gear range extender and got one PC to work, it's about 15 feet from the comcast wifi. My other PC is 20 feet away thru several walls and it won't work on wireless. Mac products do work, like I said above. Can someone explain that?
Contributor

The only thing I could think of is maybe some of the computers have older wireless cards that do not support the newest wireless standard. If you can buy your own wireless router this would be the best because the Comcast routers often have poor wireless performance. Comcast has a newer gateway (not sure of modem numbers) and it is supposed to have wireless n 5ghz and 2.4ghz support. Still purchase an apple airport time capsule if it's in the budget especially if you have macs they will back up to time capsule.
New Poster

My desktop PC has a new Cisco linksys wireless adapter plugged in to USB port. Like I said, the comcast wireless worked for about a year with that setup. Not now.
Plugged directly in to the comcast box I get 28Mbs. Wireless is about 20Mps when close to the box. That is plenty good enough for our needs. I will look into the wireless router you mentioned, thanks.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much...was starting to fume again about the wifi...have been having a heck of a time lately and needless to say NETFLIX watching was out of the question (from the tv's) without having to scream every 5 seconds with it trying to load uselessly.....trying your fix now on laptop and already seems faster and steadier than before....hope I can do the same for all things that use the wifi   I hope Xfinity/Comcast starts to notify us when they are doing these upgrades and gets on the ball with fixes when there are so many problems.....these connections aren't cheap the least they can be then is GREAT!

Frequent Visitor

I started having problems with my Internet slowing down to a complete stop about a month and a half ago.  One Comcast tech had me change the security; then he had me run the Comcast speed test: both IPv4 and IPv6 showed download under 20 Mbps and I have Blast!, which he said should be running 40-50.  He said I needed a new gateway.  It was delivered 4 days later, on a Friday...installed, activated, and afterward I ran the same speedtest: the speed was even slower.  They had a tech come to my house the following Tuesday, May 20th, 2014...he changed my gateway to Channel 11, and suddenly I was getting up to 55 Mbps.  I was sooooo happy.  Later that same evening I tried to get into the same MMO that I used as a test while he was here...and it wouldn't run without locking up...again.  Remembered seeing similar reports in a Comcast forum thread from a year ago, found my way to this thread. 

The older thread mentioned the rollout of firmware apparently activating a public hot spot in home gateways for public/Comcast use.  It was identified as wifixfinity.  Customers were calling Comcast and demanding that Comcast shut down the public port on their home gateway, with mixed results; sometimes tech said it couldn't be done, sometimes it was shut off, and then turned right back on again 2 hours or 2 days later.  (Someone suggested that the person responsible didn't know that it would just re-establish automatically after shut-off...I have no opinion.)  A web page link for the customer to shut it off apparently didn't work, or only worked for some customers (or perhaps they successfully shut it off, and it re-established and they didn't check it).  This wifixfinity had the same channel as the Home network, and the same MAC address, and went up and down as the gateway was powered on and off.  It was stated that the Comcast public hot spot *always* went to the same channel as the Home network; there was some discussion that this was actually faster, as the software was aware of both connections and gave Home priority, whereas if they were set to different channels, they would simply fight each other all the time for priority. 

I looked for this public hot spot with my tablet, and didn't see any such name, so I thought that couldn't be my problem.  Then I got a tablet-based wifi analyser app, and after staring at it for an hour, suddenly realized that what I thought was something I didn't understand about the analyzer was actually an un-named hot spot (or a hot spot whose name was "space").  After some experimentation, I discovered that the MAC address was *almost* the same as my Home MAC address (off by one digit), that it was on the same channel as Home-x9x9, so I changed my channel, and sure enough, the space-named hot spot changed its channel.  In fact, it changed immediately, while my Home network didn't actually change until my power went off. 

Soooooo...I am here to report that Comcast (forgive me for calling names) has gotten even sneakier.  They haven't removed the wifixfinity public hot spot from the Arris TG862 gateway, they simply disguised it by giving it a name of "blank" and giving it a slightly different MAC address.  But it's still there. 

And still causing me to lock up constantly. 

I have a wireless printer, and a tablet I want to use on my home network.  I also want to move my PC to a different room in my small house.  Is there any solution besides buying a separate wireless router, something that Comcast will actually *support*, since they won't support non-leased equipment???

P.S. The lockups are affecting my wireless printer, too.  It locks; PC says it is connected to network, printer says it is connected to network, PC says it can't connect to printer.  I ignore it, and a minute or two later, it suddenly clears and prints without me doing anything. 

Regular Contributor

Athena,

This thread began in November 2013.There are 134 people who have posted here and not a peep out of Comcast about the problems. I hope you are not waiting for an answer. I doubt if anyone at Comcast cares. Other than buying your own router, there is no solution and no,  Comcast will not support a privately owned router. They can't or won't support their own.  

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I see that, Barbara, and the previous thread started April of last year.  Same problems.  But at least some Comcast employees replied several times to that thread.  :-P 

New Poster

Here here--so correct. I switched BACK to comcast-from Fios-and wow-limited wifi range-not close to the fios

one--now after speaking to comcast customer service, he suggested i buy ANOTHER extender so my modem wifi signal will reach my FIRST extender out in the back yard...so any savings I though I was getting is cancelled out by the need to buy a better modem-extender as the one supplied by comcast is low quality. May consider switching back...I think I have up to 30 days. But again-so true-customers shouldn't have to figure this out-not everyone is tech savvy.

Regular Visitor

Verify "Channel Selection"  is set to Auto

Frequent Visitor

I retired a year ago.  If I am paying Comcast $7/month for a wireless modem, I expect to get what I am paying for.  I do *not* expect to have to spend more money on extra equipment, which I have to support on my own...and which I will have to upgrade and update as time goes on.  I can't afford it on my budget. 

Comcast should be ashamed of themselves...but they aren't.  This issue has existed in several firmware versions, going back a year ago, to April 2013.  ComcastTuska, are you listening?  :-P 

Regular Contributor

Agreed. Why should I buy equipment that works while I'm paying Comcast for that?

ComcastTuska and other Comcast people who watch these forums are obviously powerless to have anything fixed. The piece of junk Arris is hopeless and firmware updates make it impossible for me to view connected devices. I'm stuck with Comcast because I live inn a condo were FIOS is not available and I can't have a satelite dish. 

Frequent Visitor

On my last post on this issue I had installed another router running as an access point on the Arris. That worked much better than the Arris Wifi, so I've since had it put in bridge mode and am running on my own router now. I've had no wifi issues for months with this configuration, I consider the Arris wifi a complete failure.
Regular Contributor

@de_miles wrote:
On my last post on this issue I had installed another router running as an access point on the Arris. That worked much better than the Arris Wifi, so I've since had it put in bridge mode and am running on my own router now. I've had no wifi issues for months with this configuration, I consider the Arris wifi a complete failure.

It is a complete failure and Mr. Comcast Brian Roberts could not care less. Too busy working on  his next acquisition.

Frequent Visitor

The "piece of junk Arris" worked just fine for almost a year, before Comcast uploaded the new firmware that is needed to run the new "home modem hot spot" network.  They don't have to enable the network...just the download of the firmware is enough.  The Arris works just fine.  It's the firmware created by the Comcast department for IPv6 *headed up by ComcastTuska* that is causing all the problems.  Last year they were able to stop all the problems by rolling back the firmware.  This time they are not going to do so because they expect the hot spot network running off user-leased modems to make them sooooo much money.  Why should broken customer home networks stand in the way of profit?  :-P 

Chris Tuska, are you there?

Frequent Visitor

Hey, if I'm *really* lucky, maybe they will ban me for daring to post the name of the person responsible.  :-)))))  And delete this entire thread.  Woohooo! 

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

I don't understand it. The solution is simple. Comcast may make you use one of their modems but using one of their router/gateways is entirely voluntary. If you don't like the equipment that Comcast has just use your own.

BTW, I have used my own modems and routers in the past but stopped using them as they eventually failed or became obsolete. I have no problems with the Arris TG862G right now so I will probably keep using it. If it ever gets annoying enough I won't hesitate to look for other options.

Of course having your equipment does have one drawback. If things aren't working right Comcast will just blame your equipment and refuse to help you further unless you want to pay for assistance.

Frequent Visitor

@MisterEd51 wrote:

I don't understand it. The solution is simple. Comcast may make you use one of their modems but using one of their router/gateways is entirely voluntary. If you don't like the equipment that Comcast has just use your own.

Using one of their gateways is *not* voluntary.  Comcast decides what to lease to you, you don't.  Whatever you are using now, if you get a replacement, as I had to when my original modem died, they will send you the Arris gateway, while *calling* it a "modem".  The "home network hot spot" is their pride and joy.  They have announced it to all of their employees, while *not* telling them how they were going to implement it.  The only way out is to *not* use their equipment at all, and buy your own modem.  And if you do that, they will *not* support it in any way.  They are making big changes to their network...implementing IPv6 alongside IPv4.  If for any reason your home setup doesn't work with their network, and with any future changes they make to it, you are just out of luck. 

They are leasing you *half* of the Arris.  They are retaining the other half, an independent RF signal, for their own use in setting up a public network.  Ask them for a modem...and they send you an Arris.  YMMV  ("your mileage may vary")

Frequent Visitor

It's not so simple! If you need the phone adapter I have no choice but to use the Arris. I used Vonage for many years and they provided great service. I owned all my own equipment till Comcast backed me into a corner. They kept raising my bill because I wasn't using all of their services and the only way to get it back down was to start using their triple play package. Now I can switch to Verizon and I think that time is coming soon but my wife has resisted since she so de pendant on her comcast email account she doesn't want to switch.
New Poster

No solutions. Two us worked really hard.  I had noticed that even pictures started out fuzzy for a few moments before they became clear, not to mention shows we had no trouble viewing with the old modem  would just not load with the new one. So we bought a netgear modem on July 4, 2014 no less and installed it.  We had to call comcast to register it.  Now everything is working fine and I'll be able to take the new fancy Comcast modem-router back and get that taken off my bill.  I will say that the man who registered it was very nice.

However, I think Comcast has an agenda with its replacemnt of a perfectly working modem with another router-modem combination. 

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I purchased a new laptop a few days ago (windows 8) normally I've never had a problem with new equipment recognizing my wi-fi connection well this laptop didn't (HP Pavilion)...so I did a manual setup but my system is so darn slow its taking almost 15-20 minutes to open up a web page. I'm actually using my old laptop to send this (windows 7). When I did a troubleshoot on the internet connection I received a error message "Your computer appears to be configured correctly, device or resource DNS server is not responding" so since I'm not that tech savy I googled what that meant and was given this response.

Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>left click change adapter setting> Right click "Local Area Connection. Well the icon for "Local Area Connection" is not there so now what? I take online classes and this is just crazy...my old laptop works an responds just fine, is this a windows 8 issue, if the error message is saying DNS server isn't responding doesn't that make it's a Comcast issue? I have the Arris TG862G modem and I have the Comcast "Blast" product. PLEASE can anyone help?!

Frequent Visitor

manisnana wrote:...my old laptop works an responds just fine, is this a windows 8 issue, if the error message is saying DNS server isn't responding doesn't that make it's a Comcast issue? I have the Arris TG862G modem and I have the Comcast "Blast" product. PLEASE can anyone help?!

Is your laptop using a wireless connection?  Is your new Win8 PC using a wireless connection?  If your Win8 PC is connecting to the Arris wirelessly, try using an Ethernet cable to connect it. 

If it starts working again, then you are having the same problem as everyone else here.  The "fix" is to use a cable.  The Arris had a firmware update recently, and now wireless home networks don't work right.  Until Comcast fixes the firmware, it won't BE right, and they haven't been able to fix it in over a year.