Community Forum

Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Note that the "work around" will not work if you are on Windows 8 or 8.1 as WPA is no longer supported.

Contributor

We had no problem applying the workaround security settings on our two Windows 8.1 computers. Still working well from a dependability perspective.
New Poster

I ran into this same problem when I connected a new Android 4.2.2 (jellybean) tablet that I recieved for Christmas to our home wirless network.  Downgrading the security mode to WPA-PSK(TKIP) on the router worked like a charm. Comcast tech support was again useless Smiley Sad  Thanks to all here in the forums for sharing!

New Poster

Add me to the list of people having WiFi connectivity problems with the Arris router after the firmware update.  I have tried the change to security settings proposed by dtomaselli - so far, so good.

Thanks to dtomaselli for a solution to this issue.

I've also had a problem since the firmware update where I can no longer view the "Connected Devices" dropdown after logging onto the router.  All I get is a blank page.  I've tried clearing my browser's cache to no avail.  Has anyone else seen this?

Regular Contributor

I too am suddenly having wifi issues when previously I was rock solid.  And yes, Sailoron, I am getting the blank page when I go to View Connected Devices.  There are two threads in this forum about this and the consensus is the problem started with a pushed upgrade (one thread I started and an older one that I didn't see before starting mine).  Very annoying not to have a consistent wifi connection.  I need (and used to have) stability for certain projects.  Hope this gets fixed soon.

New Poster

Thanks DTomaselli, fix worked GREAT

Frequent Visitor

Ugh, I think Comcast is trying to screw with me at this point.

Going to try changing the encryption/authentication method. But same here, spotty WiFi. I live in a 1200 square foot apartment since floor. I NEVER had issues with the WiFi with my SurfBoard but they really did a number on that modem. Firmware updates that were not good and then because the surfboard didn't support IPv6, my MAC domain was converted thus locking me out of my OWN internet. Good game there. 

So, I went and got this POS Arris, my laptop speed tested between 5 and 3 mbps. I mean, what the heck. That's just abyssmal. When I speed test wired I get 30+, I pay for the for th performance package currently. Will let you know if that solution works for me too. Otherwise, I might just go get a wireless router. 

EDIT: Didn't work, getting 5 mbps.

Problem Solver

I have found that the Comcast/Arris TG862G to work quite well. I have blast Internet. Here are the results of the speed tests I just ran at http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Desktop (wired): 58.6/11.71

Laptop 1 (wireless G): 16.0/11.77 Mbps (1)

Laptop 1 (wireless G): 21.45/11.63 Mbps (2)

Laptop 2 (wireless N): 52.64/11.65 Mbps (1)

(1) on battery, (2) on AC

Regular Contributor

After hearing endless complaints from my family on wifi about the slowness, frequent disconnects, etc., I finally caved and changed my security settings to the WPA-PSK (TKIP) setting.  In about 30 seconds, everyone was online and fast again.  Too bad it came to that and Comcast hasn't stepped up with a fix.  I will monitor this and my software settings to see if a new update is pushed down.

Regular Visitor

Computer tech here, having the same issues. After years of using Comcast's modem and my own wireless router combo with no issues, I was given the Arris TG862G wireless router after my wireless router took a dive. It happened on the first week of Dec/2013 so I was not ready to spend the extra 50 to 100 bucks on a wirelss router with xmas around the corner.

I got the Arris on the second week of December and installed it the same day. Here are the issues I've seen so far:

- My daughter's 3GS iPod will disconnect randomly and when attemtpting to reconnect I will get the "unable to connect to wireless point" error. I will then test using my 5s by forgetting the wirelss network and rediscovering, I will get the same error after entering the password. After 10 to 15 mins we could reconnect again with no issues

- Also, my stepson will come out of his room asking if there is an issue with the internet as his wirelessly connected Xbox will loose internet access. Again, after a few minutes he would be able to reconnect.

- I have not had any issues with my wired connected PS3 and HTPC

- My main issue and where is more noticeable is the family room computer. It is using a USB wireless adapter and is the one system that we loose connectivity most often, at least that is what it seems. My work laptop running Win7 64B have not had any issues with wireless. Even right now trying to connect to my router to change the security settings as per the suggesting by dtomaselli, it is horribly slow. Once I finish this post in the familty room I will have to use the HTPC so I can make these changes. I will report again at the end of the week but for what others are seeing, I think the workaround may work.

- The other issue that I am experiencing and no one on this thread has reported, not sure if other posts on the forums mentioned this, is that I cannot see the Connected Devices page on any wireless system. I can only see the Connected Devices page on the HTPC in the living room that is wired to the router. Boy this is a crappy firmware we are dealing with here!!!

On a side note regarding IPv6, I've been workign with computers, networks protocols, etc.. for the past 12 years. When IPv6 first was introduced, almost by law, us tech guys got used to disabled it on any windows computer we've used. It's been a few years now so I am sure is more stable that when it first came out, but still, mainly the Enterprise industry is using it at this point. I know that it will eventually will make its way to commercial and household applications, but it seems to me that we are not ready for it yet on that realm. For this reason my first reaction back in December when I got this router was to look where I can turn Ipv6 off. It does not seem there is such an option on this router. Just the other day I saw in the news, I want to say CNN but my memory is vague, an issue with XBOX ONE and Comcast's IPv6, and the issue was resolved by using a wired connectiong on the xbox.

I'll make the changes suggested and report back by the end of this week.

Cheers.

Contributor

i have been having droped issues also i leave my rourter on one day i went to go online to find that it had been yurned off i have had to reset the wifi box and turn my computer off then back on just to stay online and to keep my computer from frezing up on me called xfinty support to see if i have any bugs or melware with the same resaults they do not know whats wrong before they would fix the problem but from talking to a tec they told me i would have to get someone else when they did the change over in deceber i can not aford extra secrity then what i got now it just to much then i also get internet provider is unresponsive alot of the time

Frequent Visitor

In case anyone is wondering, I ditched the Comcast modem/gateway even after trying it bridged with a separate router. I went and bought a Zoom (model 5341) modem and the Netgear Nighthawk since I appreciate many of the features it offers including the 3 external antennas. Now I get the speeds I should be getting. 

New Poster

I, too, have joined the ranks of people having issues with the wi-fi on the TG862G. My devices lose connections (or have trouble getting one to begin with) and streaming to my Roku is practically non-existent, with it having to buffer or losing the connection multiple times during a one-hour show. This morning I finally got mad and plugged my Netgear router in and so far things seem to be humming right along. My question (finally!) is why do I need to have Comcast put the TG862G into bridge mode if things seem to be working the way there are? The less involvement I have with Comcast's customer non-service, the happier I am. Thanks for any info!

Expert

@hobbitt_mn wrote:

My question (finally!) is why do I need to have Comcast put the TG862G into bridge mode if things seem to be working the way there are? The less involvement I have with Comcast's customer non-service, the happier I am. Thanks for any info!

https://www.google.com/search?q=double+nat&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS383&oq=double+nat&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I know others here are saying it works but I don't understand how dtomaselli's fix helps the problem. What does the security mode do to improve wireless performance. I can say from my experience that it does nothing for video streaming. Tried it and I still have to reset my router at least twice a day. 

New Poster

I had this problem when I had to replace my old COMCAST two-part modem internet/wifi boxes with the single ARRIS box in early December. I would lose wifi connectivity almost every morning between 6-7AM EST and then aperiodically during the day for a few minutes. I thought COMCAST was doing some data dump during the early hours to see what I was doing (a-la-NSA). I just ended up replacing the unit last week - so far, no problems. I never had a problem with data drops with the old boxes - they just died after 3 years of good service.

New Poster

I am so angry with Comcast!  Normally I would call customer service to have them help with my wifi issue, but I am terrified to do so.  I have had SEVERAL issues (and 3 different Arris gateways) in the past 2.5 months of service I've had with Comcast.  Now it's the wifi?!?!?!  Every time I chat with customer service, I end up with NO internet.  I want to cry, I want to sue for all the money I have lost (small business owner), I just want INTERNET.  You cant imagine how much business I have lost over the past two months.  How can I run my business???  Sorry, I guess I needed to vent first...

Unfortunately, I'm no good with this kind of stuff.  So what to do?  Have them bring me out yet another box?  I think I have a router somewhere, just not sure where...

I suppose I should add that the wifi was going out every night after 9pm and return sometime in the morning, at first.  After a few days of this, it went out completely.  The two phones and ipad were not affected until today.  The iPad is still connected for some reason, but I'm sure that will end soon enough.

Regular Contributor

> Can I simply replace the Arris device with a separate modem and router?

Yes, it's very do-able and straightforward, in principle. But ...(there's always a "but"),

if you have "Xfinity Voice" telephone service, finding an affordable telephony modem

is likely to be a problem.

There are only a few Comcast-approved telephony modems (TM822, TM722, and

maybe one or two others). They're all outrageously expensive, and have no reliable

vendors.  I'd rather pay Comcast $8/mo than risk $200-ish on a used, no-warranty, 

pig-in-a-poke from eBay.

OTOH, if you don't need a telephony modem, prices and selection of both modems 

and routers are great. See smallnetbuilder.com, cnet.com, etc. for specs & reviews.

Looby

New Poster

I have also had my share of Wifi problems lately.  The instructions in the link below on how to change the channel worked for me.  I now have it set to manual and channel 1.  I have not had problems since.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Continued-wireless-problems/td-p/1966219

Expert

@Looby wrote:

There are only a few Comcast-approved telephony modems (TM822, TM722, and

maybe one or two others). They're all outrageously expensive, and have no reliable

vendors.  I'd rather pay Comcast $8/mo than risk $200-ish on a used, no-warranty, 

pig-in-a-poke from eBay.

FWIW, the first thing that one should do is to call in or go to their local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) and gateway devices are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require that you rent one from CC.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

> ...the first thing that one should do is to call in or go to their local CC service center ...

Don't know if it's the same everywhere, but in southeastern PA, it's not possible

for a lowly customer peon to call in to the local "Customer Service Center." The 

Comcast web page (under MyAccount > MyServices) lists addresses and phone

numbers for several local service centers -- but calling that number just gets a

recorded message redirecting you to another number -- "for your convenience."

Of course the "for your convenience" number connects you to the all-purpose 

Clueless Phone Droid Pool at the Comcast Galactic Call Center. In Bangladesh.

...pesky #!%&*# customers!

Looby

Expert

Understood. Hence "the better choice".

Regular Contributor

I had a need to check my connected devices (which I lost at about the same time that my wifi suddenly became intermiitent) so I took the plunge and did the factory reset.  Painless!  I was afraid of major re-configuring after the reset but that didn't happen.  All I had to do was re-name the default SSID back to my original one, re-add the DMZ info (4 numbers), and everything re-connected.  As fast as before the problems and the View Connected Devices was working again.  No new software build numbers - same as before.  The only thing I noticed after a day was that the IPv6 was not connected.  I reset the gateway and it came right back.  So far so good.  

Contributor

i live in vermont they do not offer local service numbers here we would have to walk in and it 7 miles into no were land not even on the bus line so if u got to go in here you have to call a cab or get a ride or call the 1-800 number but thank you for the info

Tags (1)
Contributor

i never changed any thing on my box i left it all the same but thank you for the advice

Tags (1)
New Poster

I like the idea of separting modem from Arris as TG862G/CT router make the Blast a Weak WHIMPER! Will appreaciate if anyone here can suggest a compatible wireless router to use with Comcast Blast!

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Update:  Spoke to a Tech on the phone. After anothe refresh and reset he tried changing the channel from auto - and maually set to channel 11.  That did not work either... the modem while providing good performance when hard wired to PC did not perform well for WiFI on various devices.  I told him I had already swapped out the unit before and he still wanted to send a tech out one more time to check out the situation - he did admit that there seems to be a problem with the Arris Gateway model.

Tech showed up on time the very next day.   We tried two different Arris Gateway TG862G units.  Both had the same results.  Good hard wire performance consistently at 28 Mbps or better (checked on xifinit speedtest website).  However, both performed poorly for Wifi.  We tried several different devices.. Dell Laptop, Apple iPhone, IMac.  When the devices were sitting within a foot of the router the speed test would be 20 Mmps - but when you moved 10 feet away or in the next room the performance dropped dramatically - and in the next room you would be luck to get 3 Mbps.

The tech admitted the Gateway obviously has a wifi perforance problem - and after trying 3 of the ARRIS Gateways and getting the same results.. he recommended buying my own wireless router and turning the Gateway Wifi off.

So there you have it - the Arris Gateway is a poor peice of equipment.  And while an all in one device that takes up less space is a good idea - the device doesnt work for WiFi.  

So at my expense I will by my own router - it's what I had before and it worked well.  Hindsight 20/20 but I wish I wouldnt have been persuaded to switch to the ARRIS.

Expert

FWIW, re-vist messages #42 and #43 in this thread if you want to keep the Arris just as your internet and phone modem and use you own high quality router with it.

New Poster

I had the same issue. Came back from the holidays and could not get wi-fi started. Tech support was No support. Thanks for all your headaches and solutions. I have the TG862. Kept all the defaults and changed the channel selection to "1". This invariably changed the SSID to "admin". After which everything worked fine.

Frequent Visitor

I had some issues with the telephony portion (calls would go silent for a few seconds) and the range wasn't great. A tech came out and swapped it for a new Technicolor gateway and it fixed everything.

Contributor

I eventually got Comcast to put my TG862G into "bridge mode" so I could run my own router due to other non-WiFi issues (the "Connected Devices" page in the TG862G broke after the most recent firmware update - and they told me, basically, Comcast won't fix any "feature" of the wireless router because the agreement only states that they will provide a working WiFi connection to the customer, but nothing beyond that is guaranteed).  I needed the "Connected Devices" page to work because there is were you can set up reserved IP addresses for particular devices on your network.  In my case, I needed to do this for my printer (one of my computers loses track of it when it changes IP addresses and I have to fix that every time) and my desktop computer (so I can access it remotely).

That said, I did get my 50Mbps using the TG862G with WiFi enabled, but it depends greatly on how much interference it is seeing.  In my house, with a free WiFi analyzer app on my Kindle Fire (some laptops come with a pretty good analyzer you could use - but I don't have one currently), I found that most of my neighbors routers are "visible" from my house (or specifically, the spots in my house where routers and computers are located), and some of these routers were coming through rather strong... AND... they were using the same channel as my TG862G and my Cisco E1200.  After determining the best channels to put my routers on (i.e. channels with no devices using them), things got a lot better.  By default, these routers are typically set to auto-choose a WiFi channel (1 thru 11).  And this default behavior is usually, "choose 1, 6, or 11, whichever has the least noise."  As it turns out, choosing a channel based on my own investigations turned out to be a LOT better, even when there wasn't THAT much talking on a channel or the signals on the channel were very weak.  Now I can get my 50Mbps quite a bit using WiFi.  The "best" solution for me is likely to go with some newer equipment that can use the 5GHz WiFi band (better 802.11n routers and adapters, or 802.11ac routers and adapters) but that will require some $$$ to replace the routers and add adapters to my computers (no help for phones or devices that can't be upgraded), especially for 802.11ac.  At least, this might give me interference-free communications... at least until 802.11ac becomes prominent, which probably won't be until laptops start coming with 802.11ac adapters as part of the "standard equipment".  You can always get a USB adapter that will let your laptop do 802.11ac.  However, this likely won't solve problems with signal strength through your walls/ducts/floors in your house, since the higher frequency signals tend to go less further than lower frequency signals.

You have to be realistic about WiFi when you are trying to go through walls/ducts/floors, etc., in your house.  My daughter's room is 2 floors up from my office where I had the TG862G WiFi running, and she had trouble getting performance on her laptop and was having it lose connection, etc.  However, her XBox 360 could stream Netflix all day long.  So despite the possibility that the TG862G WiFi signal strength may be a contributor to poor performance, individual computers and devices matter too.  Some devices can only talk 802.11g which is a slower rate that shares the same 2.4GHz channel frequencies as microwave ovens, cordless phones, and today's common 802.11n WiFi devices (it still urks me how this was all designed to work over the air in the "trash band" that microwave ovens emit).  The 802.11n and 802.11ac 5GHz devices are becoming more prominent, but they are more expensive too.

Anyway, if your TG862G WiFi is less than stellar, there are options.  If you are tech savvy (or a friend/relative who is your "computer and network consultant"), using your own router might help.  The bonus is, you can have complete control over it and can fix/replace it if it breaks or doesn't do what you need it to do.  Also, some of the better routers have better antennas and more transmitters/receivers, so they can help solve signal strength issues.  Again, they are more expensive.

Side note:  I didn't really want a WiFi router from Comcast, but I have no choice.  And when it comes down to it, Comcast is pushing these devices to their customers and no longer giving them the choice to just use a cable modem (or cable/voice modem).  Why?  So they can provide "Over 500,000 Xfinity Hot Spots Nationwide".  Plain and simple.  Technically, that does benefit me in some small way... when I want to use a hot spot away from home (I never have tho').  The real motivator for Comcast to do this is because they now sell ala carte Internet access where you can pay to use their hot spots for an hour/day/week, similar to if you go to a hotel and buy "WiFi service".  This is actually selling time on YOUR router in YOUR house.  I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone using my router to surf the net, and certainly not a stranger sitting in their car down the street from my house.  But that IS what they are selling here.  Fortunately, they give me the option to "opt out" of broadcasting the home hotspot for their customers and I did.  I had asked them to put my TG862G in "bridge mode" and they told me that completely disabled all WiFi... and the WiFi light even went out on the router... but I found out later that they were still broadcasting their "xfinitywifi" home hot spot signal from my router and any Comcast customer could still login to it and use it!!!  I had to call them and tell them that I wanted it disabled (and they disabled it with no questions).  I thought that was QUITE sneaky (if not DECEPTIVE).  But I get it... they need to make more money and selling ala carte Internet access is one way to do it.  Unfortunately, I don't think this new business will make my bill go down, regardless of how many people buy ala carte access.  Should I have to pay $8/month to rent a modem they're selling access to for other people besides me?  Over the last 10+ years I've already paid enough to buy about 5+ modems.  The TG862G costs about $250-$300 to buy yourself, and it's not that great of a WiFi router feature-wise.  There aren't many other options for my own cable+voice modem.  If I use my own cable modem, they would still charge me to rent a voice modem.  Anyway... I digress...

I hope this helps someone!

Frequent Visitor

I finally got around to adding another wifi access point to my connection and its much faster than the Arris wifi. Someone gave me a two year old links yes EA4500 and it's working very well, I'm connecting all my devices to it instead of the Arris. I may just leave it this way instead putting the Arris in bridge mode and adding the linksys as the main router.
Frequent Visitor

de_miles: Can you please provide some more details on your configuration? Did you hardwire the Linksys to the Arris or are they connected wirelessly? Do you have them broadcasting on different channels? Any details appreciated.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

The EA4500 is in bridge mode as a Access Point and hard wired the Arris. It's broadcasting it's own wireless SSID and I gave it a static IP. The Arris just sees it as another device in the network. I left the channel setting on auto.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! How far apart are the two devices? Do you have the Linksys set to broadcast both 2.4 and 5GHz channels? I have the same EA4500 and haven't been using it since I got the gateway from Comcast (I actually got rid of the Arris gateway because the phone portion was giving me problems; the new Technicolor gateway is much better but the range is still not as good as the EA4500).

Frequent Visitor

My Arris is on the first floor and the EA4500 on the second but my first tests were side by side with no issues. Yes it's working both frequencies, but make sure you give your EA4500 a static ip in the range of your main router, set the subnet mask(255.255.255.0) , and set the DNS to the main router (10.0.0.1)
Frequent Visitor

Thanks again for all this great info! I hope to try this shortly.

Regular Visitor

We are having problems with our ARRIS TG862G as well.  We have Windows 8.1 on 2 laptops on wireless mode.  

I want to try the solution to change security settings WPA - (which should be easy to try.  but I can't see where to do this in Windows 8.  I'm just a step above completely ignorant so I'd really appreciate some tech help.

our androids have no problems with using wireless - only the laptops constatly drop the connection

Hardware Information   System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Gateway
HW_REV: 5
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.62
SW_REV: 7.6.59N.SIP.PC20.CT
MODEL: TG862G Serial Number: D8RBSLEC9501729 Battery Charger FW Rev: 03.00 Options:    Firmware Build and Revisions Firmware Name: TS070659N_010914_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20 Firmware Build Time: Thu Jan 9 18:08:33 EST 2014 eSAFE 0 FW Revision: 1.01.58_1226S

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

WPA does not exist as an option in Windows 8.1. I got switched to a Technicolor gateway because of phone call quality issues and all works great now.

Regular Visitor

are you running Windows 8 with the Tecnhnicolor gateway?  Does comcast charge more for it?

Regular Visitor

I found this post & following these directions - so far my connection has improved - we'll see if it lasts more than 10 minutes

>>
So here is what I ended up doing via my gateway's >http://10.0.0.1>Gateway>Connection>WiFi>dashboard:

1.  Changed Mode to b/g/n from g/n

2.  Changed the Channel Selection to Manual from Automatic

3.  Changed the Channel to 6 (this selection became available when Channel Selection was changed to Manual; it was greyed-out when the Channel Selection was set as Automatic)

And the wifi drops continued.  So following Franklin's suggestion I changed the Channel to 11.  And lo-and-behold the wifi drops have ceased and I am experiencing solid wifi performance across all of my wireless devices; however, that improvement has only been for the last 12 hours or so and I will therefore continue to monitor and come back to this forum thread periodically with an update (I fear that Murphy's Law will invoke its wrath upon me as soon as I hit 'post' to this message and my improved performance will revert to the wifi drop state).
<<

Link to conversation thread:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Technicolor-TC8305C-WARNIING-wireless-gatew...

Frequent Visitor

Had exact same issues with 2 of the devices on my network (Win7 and Roku player), as soon as I changed security my problems disappeared.  It took my almost two weeks of troubleshooting and messing around w the router before I found this thread.  Thank you so much so everyone involved in finding this "fix".

New Poster

bump

I could connect laptop, computer, and printer, but my samsung smart tvs wouldn't connect.

changed to wpa as suggested and the tvs are connecting.  comcast is ridiculous.

Regular Visitor

Update - Still working OK with the solution, above.  using channel 11.

:-)

Regular Visitor

Dtomaselli - this worked!   You are the man/woman!   LOL   Thank the lord.

Frequent Visitor

I just put my old wireless router back into service and all the drop problems have disappeared.  I hooked an Ethernet cable from port 2 on the back of the Comcast POS Arris TG862G to my old router and was able to choose and set up the old router on my laptop.  COMCAST you had better start taking note of this problem as it is a FCC issue.  Along with my complaint to them I am sure others have thought to drop one as well. I hope you guys get hit the highest fines and have to reimburse your long suffering customers for the months and years of crappy service with inferior equipment.

Expert

@MSB1 wrote:

I just put my old wireless router back into service and all the drop problems have disappeared.  I hooked an Ethernet cable from port 2 on the back of the Comcast POS Arris TG862G to my old router and was able to choose and set up the old router on my laptop. 

You should call in or live chat and have a rep put the 862 in to full bridge mode if you are doing that because you will have an undesirable *double NAT* condition on your home network if you don't;

https://www.google.com/search?q=double+nat&rlz=1C1CHHJ_enUS383&oq=double+nat&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9651j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=2...

You will then need to use ethernet port # 1 if you do.

Frequent Visitor

OK EG. What happens if I don't? To tell you the truth the LAST thing I want to do is to speak, yet once again, to the idiots that answer the phones at COMCAST.  I read your link about the double NAT and I get it, but guess what? I am typing this ONLINE using my laptop, something I can not do with the 862, and I don't seem to be having any troubles. If this is something COMCAST has a problem with then tough dung.  I've suffered through a year of this dung and I can now use my internet via a laptop again. If they want to fix their problems and get their act together I will be more than happy to unplug my router from the back of that double NATing 832 POS.

Expert

Things will work for the most part but some applications like FTP's and VPN's may be broken. And things will be more complicated if you ever need to do any port forwarding on your home network.

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

Things will work for the most part but some applications like FTP's and VPN's may be broken. And things will be more complicated if you ever need to do any port forwarding on your home network.

Thanks.  I'll cross those bridges when and if I ever have a need to use them.  I will just enjoy being able to login to my computer and get online without drops.  You are obviously a heck of a lot more savey about these things, noting the Connection Expert under your login, and when the time comes that the issues you mentioned become a problem, then I'll atempt to contact those at COMCAST, that are NOT Connection Experts, to put my equipment in line with the stars so no karma is out of wack.