Community Forum

Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Problem Solver

Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

I had a problem with Comcast Voice not working for a day a week ago. It seemed to work ok after I reset the gateway.

A few days later I started having problems getting my laptops to connect to the gateway using WiFi. When I tried to connect to the SSIDs I got an error. If I just reset the WiFi portion in the gateway setup the WiFi worked ok with the laptops until the next day. I then did a complete reset of the gateway. So far the WiFi is working ok but I will have to give it a day or two to know for sure.

I then wondered if the gateway had a received a firmware update recently. Sure enough it had:

Firmware Build and Revisions (checked on 10/21/2013)
Firmware Name:    TS070659D_053113_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20
Firmware Build Time:     Fri May 31 10:33:20 EDT 2013
eSAFE 0 FW Revision:    1.01.57_1226G

Firmware Build and Revisions (checked on 11/10/2013)
Firmware Name:    TS070659K_082213_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20
Firmware Build Time:     Thu Aug 22 18:15:21 EDT 2013
eSAFE 0 FW Revision:    1.01.58_1226O

Has anyone else had any problems recently?

Could the update be the cause of the problems?

Is it necessary to reset the gateway after there is an update?

New Poster

Re: Comcast/Arris TG862G WiFi Problems

Seeing something similar, and the condition also started within the last week or so. Several times per day, wireless devices in the home lose connection with the router; SSID does not show up on the devices. Wireless "light" on router seems to display properly even though devices are not seeing SSID. Reset/cycling of the power temporarily restores wireless connections (on the order of several hours) but ultimately I need to cycle the power on the router again to restore WiFi wireless connections on devices.
Problem Solver

mdickey358 wrote:

Seeing something similar, and the condition also started within the last week or so. Several times per day, wireless devices in the home lose connection with the router; SSID does not show up on the devices. Wireless "light" on router seems to display properly even though devices are not seeing SSID. Reset/cycling of the power temporarily restores wireless connections (on the order of several hours) but ultimately I need to cycle the power on the router again to restore WiFi wireless connections on devices.

Did you try resetting your gateway? My problems went away after I did that.

I have had two firmware updates in the last few months. Each time those were done my router got messed up. I wish I knew that these updates were being done. I would then reset the router after each one.

The most annoying thing about this was that after the update my phone was not working right for almost a day. I could call out but nobody could call in. People were wondering why we weren't answering our phone.

BTW, you can check which firmware version your gateway has without logging into it.

Go to address: http://192.168.100.1
Click on HW/FW Versions tab
Look at the information under: Firmware Build and Revisions

New Poster

I did do a gateway reset, too, but no change in condition. You mentioned a firmware update. I haven't looked at this, but not much I could do if it has been updated, but I wish Comcast would recognize the firmware has a bug or error and replace with a new update.
Problem Solver

The only way I knew there was a firmware update was that I had copied the information from the status page just three weeks earlier.

With a Windows update on your PC it sometimes has to reboot after the update. Maybe the gateway after a firmware update also needs a reboot. In other words the problems I had after firmware update were caused by the gateway not being rebooted. Of course how was I or anybody else going to know that. In fact I only knew by accident that the firmware had been updated. What they need to do is put some code in the firmware that automatically does a reboot after the update is finished.

BTW, the firmware revision can also be found by logging in the gateway and going to "Gateway > Software". The problem is that that you have no idea what the "firmware build time" is. Looking at the status by going to http://192.168.100.1 web page has the advantage that the "firmware build time" is displayed there.

Regular Contributor

I have an Arris modem here, different model number, but for the past few days, the browsers will not connect to its address http://192.168.100.1/ for some reason.  Today, I reset the modem, it made no difference.

If they also upgraded the firmware for my modem, perhaps there is an issue with the firmware.  The modem otherwise works.

New Poster

I have been experiencing the same problems, after reading through these and other forums I see A LOT of issues with routers.  My problem seems to be two-fold.

First, the wifi regularly drops devices.  Sometimes it will be a laptop, smartphone, tablet, gaming console; it is strange that it will be one or two devices, but not usually all of them.  I am unable to reconnect to the wifi until the ARRIS is rebooted.  Changing the security settings to just WPA2 \ AES seemed to help with that issue, but not entirely resolve it.

Second, often times the internet drops completely while the devices are still connected to the wifi.  This seems to happen between 5 and 20 times a day, making it almost impossible to use the internet for anything productive.  

I rent a room in a house, so I'm not the account holder, or I would be on the phone trying to get to the bottom of this.  Unfortunately the owner isn't really tech savvy and it really doesn't bother him; does anyone know if Comcast has any other DOCSIS 3.0 modems they lease out besides this one, honestly if we could just switch to a different brand that would be optimal.

Note: I had to reset the gateway 2 times while typing this post.

Downstream   DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables Downstream 1 126 597.00 MHz -12.28 dBmV 35.25 dB 256QAM 226064 0 0 Downstream 2 121 567.00 MHz -5.18 dBmV 37.94 dB 256QAM 32337 0 0 Downstream 3 122 573.00 MHz -6.25 dBmV 35.97 dB 256QAM 31905 0 0 Downstream 4 123 579.00 MHz -8.18 dBmV 35.78 dB 256QAM 33865 9 0 Downstream 5 124 585.00 MHz -7.17 dBmV 37.36 dB 256QAM 42791 0 0 Downstream 6 125 591.00 MHz -10.27 dBmV 35.60 dB 256QAM 48324 0 0 Downstream 7 127 603.00 MHz -9.16 dBmV 35.78 dB 256QAM 38387 0 0 Downstream 8 128 609.00 MHz -7.97 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 34532 0 0 Reset FEC Counters Upstream   UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation Upstream 1 1 36.80 MHz 49.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM Upstream 3 2 30.30 MHz 49.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM Upstream 4 3 23.80 MHz 49.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Status System Uptime: 0 d: 0 h: 02 m Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1) CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete Time and Date: Sun 2013-11-17 20:54:07

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 1.5 Touchstone Telephony Gateway
HW_REV: 5
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.62
SW_REV: 7.6.59K.CT
MODEL: TG862G Serial Number: D5GBU4EC5506267 Battery Charger FW Rev: 03.00 Options:

Firmware Name: TS070659K_082213_MODEL_862_GW_CT Firmware Build Time: Thu Aug 22 18:19:50 EDT 2013 eSAFE 0 FW Revision: 1.01.58_1226O

New Poster

I have also had problems over the last week or so with most of our devices losing Wifi connection. It seems to affect the phones and tablets the most but rarely the laptop or the PC. The distance to the router makes no difference. I haven't checked if the firmware is being updated or not. Performing a hard reset on the router works for a while; the last reset lasted a couple of days, until just 10 minutes ago (I'm using the laptop now but my IPad, my wife's IPhone, and my daughter's Google laptops won't connect). It seems that these Arris modems are garbage and Comcast needs to get something more reliable.

New Poster

Exact same problem for at least the last week. New Gateway and spotty wifi, when for the last year its been working perfectly. Any word from Comcast on fixing this firmware update ?

Frequent Visitor

You should just swap it out for a new one at a comcast service center, I had a technician come and determine it was a problem with the wireless card and he just replaced it and boom, fixed.

EDIT: Now it stopped working, maybe the firmware updated on my new one too... GREAT....

Frequent Visitor

My has worked flawlessly until this firmware update which implemented IPv6 , now I'm having the same problems as everyone else.
New Poster

Having the very same issues as all of you.  The weird thing is that any device that is connected to the built in LAN switch never loses connection; in fact the wired connection is smoking!  So it seems as if the issue that the firmware update created is with the wireless radio.  Changing any WiFi setting on the gateway brings back the signal (you'll have to connect to the switch with a ethernet cable) but as stated here, it doesn't last very long before it's out again. 

I've swapped out my unit for a new one

I've tried turning off wifi encryption

I've tried enabled and disabled b/g/n/ vs g/n

I've manually set my channel;trying the three that are not grayed out (6,1,11)

I've let the gateway set the radio channel (auto)

I've tried several Local IP schemes

I'm now trying disabling IPv6   

Anyone from Comcast here that can confirm that the most recent firmware update has wireless issues? 

Here is my current version:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59K

Software Image Name: TS070659K_082213_MODEL_862_GW_CT
New Poster

I am experiencing the same issues. Wireless drops out, sometimes does not connect. Wired connection flies! Tried resetting channels and playing with other wifi configs. Resetting Factory Defaults only temporarily resolves for 10 mins at best.

Clearly there is an issue.

New Poster

I've installed the internet service yesterday(11/27/2013). I have the same problems as yours.The wireless access is very unstable and bad.

New Poster

Trawling through the forums I stumbled upon a solution. If I set the security mode to WPA-PSK(TKIP) the issue is resolved. All our devices are now connected via wireless and working well. Note on WIndows you need to reset the properties for that wireless network, i.e. security type and encyrption type. For Apple devices it automatically reconfigures so need to chenge anything there.

The other caveat is that this security mode is not as efficient as the default which covers WPA/WPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES) however it is far better than previous issue.

Contributor

I am going to try the above (security mode). The wifi issue is really annoying.
New Poster

hi all

the workaround that dtomaselli worked really well. hopefully, comcast will release a fix with a firmware upgrade soon.

i changed my settings in the wireless and changed the security setting to WPA-PSK (TKIP) and wi-fi is now more stable. not flying, but at least stable.

thanks dtomaselli

Frequent Visitor

I'm testing the security change now, so far so good. My main issue was with Windows machines holding their wifi. All my mobile devices were fine but as soon as I connect with a Win7 or XP laptops it all went to poo

update! 36 hours later and no issues with 2 laptops 3ipads and 2 phones on wifi. Thanks a bunch for the tip!

New Poster

I know this will seem primitive, but I would like to change the security settings as mentioned above. How do I do that?
Frequent Visitor

Log in to the gateway, make sure you use all lower case in the user name. The path is connections/wifi then click on edit in the wifi ssid box at the top. From there you can change the security type.
New Poster

Personally, I have had nothing but problems with this POS since the day Comcast decided I needed to upgrade to this faster and slicker model.  Unfortunately I have not been able to go down to the local office and demand something that works.  I've spent days with the tech support people and all they ever say is it seems to be working fine.

One day the phone doesn't work, then the internet dies, back to the phone not working, then the internet works, but it runs like it was a 56k modem...Argggggg.  this is actually worse than the one that got recalled...what 5 years ago or so.

I'm done messing with it, send me back my old one.  It worked perfectly without a hitch from day one that we got it.

New Poster

Thank you for this post.  It solved both my VPN connection problem and resolved my mobile devices unable to re-authenticate after the wifi connection dropped.

Comcast rep earlier today wanted me to pay $80 to have a level-2 tech help me with my wifi problem.  Unfreaking believable and ridiculous.

When I asked her to explain to me what my problem was, she said I needed to pay $80 to find out.  when i asked to speak with a supervisor, she disconnected me.  Outstanding service Comcast.  Keep up the great work!!

Thank you dtomaselli

New Poster

They must be hard up for cash for christmas. I just got the same line about the 80$ she said the tech was going to remotely connect to my android tablet and change the settings  yeah ok but it would all be fixed for 80$

Frequent Visitor

How do you log into the gateway?

Contributor

The gateway URL for me is simply:

http://10.0.0.1/

The suggestion that dtomaselli posted has really helped.  I've had a solid week of very stable connectivity.  In addition to getting rid of the annoyingly frequent drops, I'm finding that my two Windows 8 machines get back online more quickly after "awakening" from hibernation mode. 

My problems started right after a power outage a while back, presumably when Comcast pushed through a firmware update).   Thanks again for the workaround suggestion, dtomaselli. 

New Poster

As long as wired connection is show up as upto the rated speed and if you continue to have issues with Arries Wireless router\modem.

1. Set the channel speed from Auto to Manual and experiment which one works the best, go to connections, WiFI and do Edit to get to the channels in use.

2. Test wireless speedtest and choose the best availlable channel with good results.

I think arries modem WIFI is really slow  and in auto mode the wireless connection speeds are bad, unless you want to configure it as bridge and use your own router, this is the best solution.

New Poster

Glad to see the solution is working for everyone. I wonder when Comcast will pull their finger out and provide a firmware fix? Can believe Comcast would charge $80 to fix a problem with their own modems.

New Poster

I mean "I can NOT believe..."

Contributor

Really hoping the fix here of switching my security settings will actually fix very similar problem.

Just switched to Comcast X2 platform yesterday; supposedly even better than X1 although I wouldn't know since never had that.  Quite honestly, its got some really nice new features but I'm missing the ability to simply flip channels across favorites a lot - can't understand why that would be gone.  And a remote that doesn't allow input switching on TV?  Whose idea was that?

But on topic, I am extremely frustrated with teh Arris modem.  After searching these forums, most have suggested that you will need to get a separate WiFi router which really annoys me after paying $7 a month to rent this one from them.  Plus seems like this will require a phone call to Comcast to turn the modem into a bridge, which could need to be done every so often as the modem updates at times.  Am I reading the forums right?

I'm trying to solve for frequent drops in throughput, to a wired computer I can get 28MB down and 6MB up on Performance tier; diminished speeds from a WiFI computer that is right next to the box but still fiarly close at 25MB dropping to 8-10MB at a TV/Game console about 45ft away.  Netfilx which is built into the TV is extremely poor with the TV getting on 1MB down, and frequently dropping out completely. 

The fix of the security switch took some changing the Windows 7 PC but Apple devices seemed to have picked it up immediately, as well as an android phone. 

So bottom line is if this fix can actually maintain the connection, hopefully at a consistent speed of 25MB without drops, then you just saved my $100 or so for a wireless modem.  Thanks in any case but given my past experience with Comcast, which caused me to switch to FIOS to begin with, and the initial thoughts of the new service, particuarly this problematic Arris modem, I'm not optimistic.

Frequent Visitor

The bottom line is the modem should work period.  

We see the comast advertisements touting hi speed wi fi,  with many family members around the house all using the their wi fi devices at the same time. 
This advertising is false as the modem does not deliver as advertised.

And while I apprecieate the suggested "work around" and "fixes"  Customers should not have to "work around" a faulty piece of equipment or try "fixes" that really don't fix the problem.  The average person doesn't have the knowlege nor should they have to use a work around or fix.

At this time the new modem I was provided is also have issues of providing a constistent performance.

Comcast needs to simply provide a modem/wireless router that works.  

New Poster

I am having the same issues. I am very happy that you all have been chatting about this and have a solution. I am going to try this now.

I also had the same issue with Comcast "Customer Support" as they call it. They wanted $80 from me as well. I was as mortified as you guys.

Another disappointment was going through the online reset process. At the end of jumping through every reset cycle possibility, I was prompted to connect directly to the LAN connection on the Arris device.

The next question was "Were you able to connect to the Internet? Yes or No? I answered "Yes" and the message popped up "We are glad we could be of service to you, thank you..." and I was disconnected. HAHA!!! I still couldn't connect via wireless... Seriously disturbing customer experience.

Incompetence abounds...

Regular Visitor

OK add me to the ranks of Xfinity sufferers. I've had all the problems described in the posts above since installing the ARRIS gateway a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to try the security setting change in a few minutes to see if it helps. I'm also going to do it while doing something rediculous like keeping my fingers crossed. I'll report in if it works. 

Official Employee

Helpful info requested:

What OS do you have?

Where are you located (nearest major city)?

What version of 802.11 are you using (a/b/g/n)?

Are there other WiFi clients using the network as well?

What SSID are you connecting to? Your private SSID or xfinitywifi SSID?

JL
Internet Services
Frequent Visitor

1. 4 devices with IOS7, 1 with Android 4.2,  2 Windows7, and 1 Windows XP

All mobile devices work well until I connect one of the Windows machines thats when the wifi has problems. I can watch the wifi icon on the windows machines show no internet exclamation mark every 10-15 seconds continueously. When this happens no other wifi devices will work until I do a power reset on the gateway.

2. Baltimore

3. b/g/n

4. Yes usually only 3 devices at one time from the ones listed above

5. Private SSID, I have no xfinitywifi broadcasting from my router that I can find.

Regular Visitor

Working for me so far. Thanks, dtomaselli.

Contributor

Arris TG862G-CT & the Technicolor gateways they hand out are AWFUL. Seriously, purchase your own router and bridge this. 

-Bridging disables the wireless & routing functions.  

Remember they smashed a phone service, tv, cable modem, & router into one device. Do you really expect it to act like a real decent router? You get what you pay for, and unfortunately we're being robbed with the rental fees.  Comcast doesn't want to give you a basic modem because they can upsell you their phone service by saying "well you already have the hardware! We can start right now!" 

By default these gateways use all b/g/n, you have to call Comcast and have them change it if you want G only, N only, ect.

Also I've noticed when you don't broadcast you SSID the wifi is even more abysmal.  I tried that for a week and I constantly had to power cycle it go it working. Of course even broadcasting had it's own issues over time. 

Official Employee

de_miles wrote:

1. 4 devices with IOS7, 1 with Android 4.2,  2 Windows7, and 1 Windows XP

All mobile devices work well until I connect one of the Windows machines thats when the wifi has problems. I can watch the wifi icon on the windows machines show no internet exclamation mark every 10-15 seconds continueously. When this happens no other wifi devices will work until I do a power reset on the gateway.

2. Baltimore

3. b/g/n

4. Yes usually only 3 devices at one time from the ones listed above

5. Private SSID, I have no xfinitywifi broadcasting from my router that I can find.

Try resetting the device. Any positive change or no?

JL
Internet Services
Frequent Visitor

Do you want me to put the recommended wifi settings back in the gateway and reset? Have any changes been made by Comcast?
New Poster

I have had similar issues to those mentioned above, but I think I have more information to share that might help find a solution. I tried changing security settings as mentioned but saw no change in the ability of my wireless devices to connect to the network.

There is one thing I have noticed on this device itself. It seems to have a really difficult time functioning as a DHCP server! I noticed this over the wired connection as well. It should only take a DCHP server fractions of a second to assign a new IP address. However, whenever I try to renew an address manually (ipconfig /renew), it fails miserably. Give it 10 to 30 minutes and the device eventually registers.

I've noticed the same kind of errors on the wireless connection. I'm able to see the network on various devices and log into them using the SSID/password combination, but they hang on the part where they're acquiring an IP address. As wireless devices, they give up on this within a minute or two.

I have successfully connected my devices once, shortly after doing a modem reset, but the problem returned about half an hour later. I've try numerous types of resets with no new success. I have managed to keep my wired devices connected by manually assigning IP addresses to them, but most wireless devices (particularly phones and tablets) don't offer the option of manually assigning an address on a wireless connection.

I don't know if this information helps anyone, but since I've found no solution and am tired of getting jerked around by Comcast Customer (dis)Service, maybe someone here can use this to find a solution. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm glad that solution worked for you but I don't have an issue with the devices I plug in to the router. They work great while hard wired, it's the wifi that that's causing my problems. I'll likely switch my gateway to bridge mode and install my own wifi router after the holidays.
Contributor

Re: Comcast/Arris TG862G Wifi Problems

i been also having all kinds of problems with the arris i  get kick off line i freezes up um i get messages saying server is not responding im feed up with the problems almost to the point to were im about to have the internet service shut off now comcast/xfinity is changing the office support i think that's wrong also its there equpiment causing us problems and we have to start paying for them to fix there items even spell check does not work right lol not funny but kinda is thank you for listing

New Poster

Would it help to turn off WiFi completely and put the Modem into Bridge Mode?  Does anyone know how I can do that?

Diamond Problem Solver

Androzor wrote:

Would it help to turn off WiFi completely and put the Modem into Bridge Mode?  Does anyone know how I can do that?

BOATLOADS of post here indicate that ! 

Only they can put it in to FULL bridge. You need to call in or live chat to request a rep to do it.

New Poster

I had Comcast put the device into "Bridge Mode" using the Live Support Chat.  It seems to have fixed the problem!  Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Does the bridge mode disable the phone jack connections? I need those.

Thanks.

Diamond Problem Solver

smurphy918 wrote:

Does the bridge mode disable the phone jack connections? I need those.

Thanks.

No. The phone service will not be affected.

New Poster

Is the userid & password into the router the same as the password used for Comcast email?

Never mind!

New Poster

Brilliant! Thank you!

Changing the security setting to WPA TKIP solved all our wifi problems.

One question: Does downgrading the security from WPA2 slow down the wifi at all?

Thanks!!!

New Poster

I just started experiencing this issue on 12/25 and have had this gateway installed and working with no issues since October 2013. I had been performing a power cycle of the modem, but that generally didn't fix it.  I would login into my account and check the connection status and it would tell me the modem needed to be reset.  It would reset and Wifi would work for a few hours and the issue would rear it's ugly head again.

Seeing that most of this started in November (looking at the dates of the posts), I am suprised Comcast decided to move forward with firmware updates causing these types of problems without notifying their customers of the issue and a work around.  Best practice would be to stop the firmware updates until the issue has been resolved.

I have not tried calling Comcast as generally that is more painful than helpful.  I work in IT and generally have done the troubleshooting and investigation prior to calling them and have to repeat all of that for them over the phone.  With a job and family, I don't have time for that.

I will try the recommended WiFi security setting change.  Thanks so much dtomaselli for your proficiency in scouring forums to provide the recommended "work around".

Now, I expect to see an actual resolution to the problem from Comcast with some type of notification to customers with the affected devices.  I won't hold my breath though.

New Poster

Can I simply replace the Arris device with a separate modem and router?  In the long term this would be cheaper than paying rent on the Arris device that appears to not be reliable.