Community Forum

Coaxial vs Ethernet Cable for Remodel Project

Frequent Visitor

Coaxial vs Ethernet Cable for Remodel Project

We are remodelling a vacation/rental home.  We are considering dropping Xfinity TV and instead asking renters to use their personal Netflix and other accounts.  If we go this route, should be wire the TV locations (e.g., living room and bedrooms) with coaxial cable, ethernet cable or both?

If coaxial cable, what type?

If ethernet cable, what type?

Thanks!!!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Coaxial vs Ethernet Cable for Remodel Project

To future proof your home, run both. RG6 cable and Cat6 ethernet. You didn't say if Comcast was your ISP or not, but if so the modem needs cable.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Coaxial vs Ethernet Cable for Remodel Project

If you don't want / need straight cable for TV in every room, and if you are going to stream TV into rooms, you don't need coax in every room. Ethernet from a centrally located router or gateway device will work for both TV and internet. WiFi is also an option. I agree with Comcast Andrew to do both if cost is not an issue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!