Community Forum

Chronic Internet & Landline Issues

Regular Visitor

Chronic Internet & Landline Issues

My daughter’s Xfinity services on Martin Rd, Kittery, ME are in their third year of constant internet and landline problems.  This is a household of 5 children under 12 years old, so the internet is a crucial component of their lives.  The landline is a critical to assure that the two people in the house with serious chronic diseases have access to emergency help when needed.

Please be aware that Xfinity techs have been to the house over a dozen times in the last three years and have replaced ALL wiring from the pole all the way to the modem. The modem and telephone have been replaced.  A phone directly connected to the modem experiences the same problem.  We have checked with our neighbors and only the person living next door experiences similar landline problems - although she doesn’t have an Xfinity telephone contract.

Internet Issues:  The internet drops (goes off-line) up to 10 times a day and can remain off from 1-15 minutes.  The modem has been replace twice.  ALL wiring has been replaced.  The problem exists across all equipment simultaneously from the primary TV to laptops to smart phones and kindles.  While the connection comes back online on itsown, we often have to sign back in to subscription services.  Cable TV does not drop.

Landline Issues:  The line connection is corrupted with static and noise 80% of the time.  It happens with both incoming and outgoing calls and can be present at the start of a call or appear during calls, but it is not present if you just listen to the dial tone before initiating a call. The problem is such that calls cannot be continued.  The noise exists for both callers or just one caller.  It can start off slowly/quietly and escalate to the point where the call must be terminated or it call be fully corrupted from the moment the call is connected.

Is there such a thing as a black hole in the Xfinity universe where unsolvable problens exist?

Official Employee

Re: Chronic Internet & Landline Issues

Morgan47, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums regarding your daughter's Xfinity account. I understand the importance of having reliable service and I'm here to help! Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Why does Xfinity get away with treating customers like dirt (e.g.below)

How to get a dual problem addressed by experts

Original question:

07-13-2019 08:55 AM

Assuming the problems detailed below are related, how do I get an expert to address a multi-service problem?

My daughter’s Xfinity services on Martin Rd, Kittery, ME are in their third year of constant internet and landline problems.  This is a household of 5 children under 12 years old, so the internet is a crucial component of their lives.  The landline is a critical to assure that the two people in the house with serious chronic diseases have access to emergency help when needed.

Please be aware that Xfinity techs have been to the house over a dozen times in the last three years and have replaced ALL wiring from the pole all the way to the modem. The modem and telephone have been replaced.  A phone directly connected to the modem experiences the same problem.  We have checked with our neighbors and only the person living next door experiences similar landline problems - although she doesn’t have an Xfinity telephone contract.

Internet Issues:  The internet drops (goes off-line) up to 10 times a day and can remain off from 1-15 minutes.  The modem has been replace twice.  ALL wiring has been replaced.  The problem exists across all equipment simultaneously from the primary TV to laptops to smart phones and kindles.  While the connection comes back online on itsown, we often have to sign back in to subscription services.  Cable TV does not drop.

Landline Issues:  The line connection is corrupted with static and noise 80% of the time.  It happens with both incoming and outgoing calls and can be present at the start of a call or appear during calls, but it is not present if you just listen to the dial tone before initiating a call. The problem is such that calls cannot be continued.  The noise exists for both callers or just one caller.  It can start off slowly/quietly and escalate to the point where the call must be terminated or it call be fully corrupted from the moment the call is connected.

Is there such a thing as a black hole in the Xfinity universe where unsolvable problens exist?

My reply to question about best contact info:

Sent: 07-30-2019 09:13 AM

My daughter's information is *******************************************************

FYI:  We tried to contact the manager for our area last year and were ignored by him on at least 2 occasions.  We have spent $1000 on this defective service over the past 3 years and our requests for a reasonable refund fell on deaf ears.  The more than a dozen technical house calls has litterally resulted in zero improvement.  In addition, when we called to just eliminate the worthless landline, we were told our bill would INCREASE.  Our experience with xfinity has been extremely poor and we feel absolutely trapped in a black hole.

My reply to question about phone

07-30-2019 05:47 PM

The phone is no longer plugged directly into the modem, but I can assure you it makes no difference to the problem.  We have plugged both corded and cordless phones into the modem and it makes no difference.  We have purchased new cordless phones twice.

Even when xfinity has called us on the landline, they have had to call us back on our cell phone because they cannot hear us on the landline.  The primary characteristics of the call interference are:

1. It has an intermittent nature, even during a single call; it is there 80+% of the time;
  2. it can be heard by either caller or only one outgoing or incoming;
  3. it can grow in interference level from minor to complete and usually goes in that direction;
  4. the dial tone can be clear before a call that then is disrupted; 
  5. our neighbor at *** Martin Rd has similar problems but doesn't have xfinity as a carrier.

If I had to put money on the problem source of the static, I say electrical interference.  You cannot tell us that you haven't experienced this issue somewhere within the 30 million residential customers network. We have has 1,2,and 3-man tech teams at the house over the 3 year period.  If you want the AT&T phone connected directly to the modem, please let me know.  If you want to send more people out, feel free.

Speaking of money...... As a good faith gesture, I would reimburse the Sears Family 50% of the $7,000 +/- they have spent on xfinity over the 3 years of having terrible internet, landline and management/support service and that doesn't even include the useless Home Service that never worked.  To which xfinity will say, 'let's solve the problem first and then discuss a reimbursement.'  To which I would say, "where's the good faith effort on your part, given the total lack of results on xfinity's part for 3 years?'  I would like a clear answer to this part of my request.  REALLY, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR ANSWER IN WRITING.

My reply to question about modem and nice-nice customer placation response.

07-30-2019

See, I told you you'd say "you have to wait."  of course you have a policy of non-reimbursement.   You people have said the same thing about reimbursement, fixing the problems, etc for three years and have  done NOTHING to fix the problem, much less reimburse us for worthless, substandard services.  You have a lock on the marketplace.  You just take our money and put us on a merry-go-round of corporate BS.  You take NO responsibility.  It's pure corporate greed and mismanagement.  You personally should be ashamed of participating in one of America's great scams.  If this was happening to you, you'd feel the same way we do.  

Look at our tech history.  More that a dozen visits, maybe even twenty, with no change in the worst service I have had in my life with any cable company.  Every time your people come out, the tech has a different story - squirrels eating wires, birds nesting on the pole, bad location of a modem, faulty modem, bad wiring in the house, bad wiring to the pole, bad wiring on the pole, bad wiring down the street, weak signal strength in the neighborhood or at the junction or at the main office, excess voltage in the house, bad telephone, house not grounded properly and even "the last guy did a poor job".  Does xfinity have a plastic card of excuses handed to each tech.  They all leave saying "it's fixed" or "I need to do something at the office" or "so-and-so will call you to follow-up" or "call me if anything goes wrong"......  So now you can act all huffy about what I have said and say you just can't deal with someone so angry or sarcastic.  How would you feel if a company has taken as much money from you for faulty services?

My reply to question about tech visit and another nice-nice customer placation response.

You can do anything you want with our modem. If you want to send another tech out to the house or even 3 or 6 or 9, feel free. Just call me ahead of time. ***-***-**** and please have them read the notes and correspondence so we don't have to repeat our story for the 100th time.

My reply to question about tech visit and more nice-nice customer placation response.

07/31/2019

I seriously doubt you understand the frustration of being treated like dirt* for 3 years by your company and paying $1000s for the privilege.

Tech visit timing: August 5, 6, or 7;  8am -2pm . Don't cancel as you did last week and have them know what the problems are or don't send them - we will not repeat our story for the 100th time.

* Dirt =  lied to, denied reimbursement, ignored phone messages, delivery of useless services, lack of followup, etc.