Community Forum

Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

Contributor

Re: Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

file complaint with bbb and fcc

Frequent Visitor

I have disabled wirelss on my SBG6580 and it hasn't locked up since.  I have re-enabled DHCP by the way.

And I will definitely be filing complaints.

Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same issues here in San Francisco on SBG6580 for past 2-3 weeks at least.  I know you guys are working on it and I would like to offer my info as well if it helps your team figure find the solution.

However, my patience is wearing thin and my work is being affected adversely.  If you cannot offer us a permanent solution or at least a workaround in the next week or two, I will simply have to find a new service provider.  Everything was working well before this new firmware was installed on my personal device, with ZERO notice that it had been done.

Frequent Visitor

I had severe wireless dropouts, too. I noticed that after the firmware update my wireless network settings, in the radio portion of wireless config page, were set to B/G/N mode.

I don't think this modem has the 'N' capability. My TV does.

Anyway, I switched the mode to B/G only and I have not had dropouts since.

I think the modem was trying to communicate with the TV in 'N' mode and it was causing a bunch of interference on the radio channels as the radio was not designed to work in 'N' mode.

If you have  not tried this, give it a shot.

Good luck!!

Expert

@alfack wrote:

I don't think this modem has the 'N' capability. 

FWIW, that device does indeed support wireless the "N" protocol. Go here to page 21 for the specs;

http://www.arrisi.com/modems/datasheet/SBG6580/SBG6580_UserGuide.pdf

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Right. I noticed that after I posted. I could not remember if I bought the device before the 'N' protocol came out.

Anyway, I think the issue may be with the 'N' part of the radio, still. Maybe the new firmware handles that part wrong.

Frequent Visitor

Complained to Comcast and was told to complain to Arris about the firmware being pushed onto my modem. Arris tells me they have no part of it and Comcast was the one that upgraded my modem. Round and round I go. Such terrible customer service. Lol.

Contributor

Smiley HappyI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris 

Expert

@Steve1951X wrote:

Smiley HappyI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris 

For curiosity, how did they do that exactly ? Also, even if it has a different version of firmware, it will revert to using whatever CC is currently pushing when it is connected up to their system.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Arris rep said they have no way to update firmware on their side and to talk to CC about it. CC says they didn't update the firmware because they only update modems that they own. I'm heading down to the CC retail store to rent their modem until this whole Arris firmware is fixed. So many regrets buying this modem now.

Expert

@watermarlon wrote:

CC says they didn't update the firmware because they only update modems that they own. 

That rep was wrong. They are responsible for updating all gateway devices whether they are rented from them or "customer owned".

Authorized Vendor

@watermarlon wrote:

Arris rep said they have no way to update firmware on their side and to talk to CC about it. CC says they didn't update the firmware because they only update modems that they own.

This is incorrect..  The modem firmware on ALL models\modems is controlled by the bootfile.. The bootfile has what version that make or model should be on..  If it is not it will upgrade the modem to that version..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTuska wrote:

The modem firmware on ALL models\modems is controlled by the bootfile.. The bootfile has what version that make or model should be on..  If it is not it will upgrade the modem to that version..

This "bootfile" that you speak of -- that must be controlled by the ISP (ie, Comcast), right?  

(If it were on the customer-owned device and not replaced by the ISP, it would never be upgraded.)

Contributor

Smiley WinkI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris       

I sent email thru their web under ARRIS Consumer Care ... with Mac address and SN

Expert

@Steve1951X wrote:

Smiley WinkI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris       

I sent email thru their web under ARRIS Consumer Care ... with Mac address and SN

How was the file downloaded to the device ?

Regular Visitor

Mine is too, wifi dropping too. Told to change channels. ARG!

Frequent Visitor

Wi-Fi dropping out here too. One more SBG6580 having problems after the firmware update.

Contributor

my modem sbg6580 was 2.5 years old and had motorola software..6.5.0.0 ..but would not log on to the internet (blinking green led)..a couple hours or less after i emailed arris back i noticed that the modem was connecting to the internet (green led on)  ..so i tested it by connecting it to a computer and was able to do hulu video etc...but because of my settings i could not log on to the modem....I did a factory default ...holding reset button for 5 - 10 seconds factory reset occurred i could log on now to the arris software..i could change settings and passwords ...all appears to worked ok (blue rec and send leds ok)    I assume arris installed the arris soltware as I requested ..i did not download software

Contributor

arris soltware 8.6.0.0

Frequent Visitor

I emailed Arrris about this fiasco, asked them if there was any way to keep Comcast from updating my modem. They said no, but to call them direct if you still have problems.

If you need immediate assistance or information on Motorola Broadband products, please contact ARRIS Technical Support Center, formerly Motorola Broadband Technical Support center at 1-877-466-8646.  We are open 7 days a week 7am - 11pm CST.

Arris has quickly responed to my emails. I think they are genually concerned about this issue. Keep the pressure on them because Arris and Comcast have screwed this up.

Expert

@Steve1951X wrote:

I assume arris installed the arris soltware as I requested ..i did not download software

If it comes through the coax cable then Arris is not doing it directly. The ISP is doing it. Don't know if you got Arris to light a match under Comcast but they are the ones that update the firmware directly.

New Poster

In addition to all the disconnects, I am now getting this ERROR after the firmware update: "The Network Name must be a unique 1 to 32 character ASCII string and must NOT match any other SSID on this gateway." No matter what I do I cannot change the settings on the Primary Network, everything results in that error message. I have been using the Guest Network but cannot even disable the primary network. ArrisCast, Are you going to fix this anytime soon?! We all payed a small fortune to get the best device money can buy, and now it's mostly useless. Anyone else have the same error message as me.

New Poster

Solved the Primary Network issue by using Chrome as my browser. IE and Firefox wouldn't let me change the settings, but Chrome works like it should. Still dealing with disonnects...

@rumelle1 wrote:

In addition to all the disconnects, I am now getting this ERROR after the firmware update: "The Network Name must be a unique 1 to 32 character ASCII string and must NOT match any other SSID on this gateway." No matter what I do I cannot change the settings on the Primary Network, everything results in that error message. I have been using the Guest Network but cannot even disable the primary network. ArrisCast, Are you going to fix this anytime soon?! We all payed a small fortune to get the best device money can buy, and now it's mostly useless. Anyone else have the same error message as me.

Frequent Visitor

Unbelievable! I just got a call from Comcast in relation to my BBB request. They DENIED me compenstation for my downtime... She said that Comcast is not responsible for firmware updates on user-owned equipment. WHAT??? 

She straight up lied right in my ear... She said that I had to "authorize" the firmware update because it is my own "computer/equipment/modem." Thus they are not responsible for it.

This was the last straw. I'm canceling.

Frequent Visitor

I'd say it's time to contact a lawyer. Or at least take them to small claims court. They can't have it both ways. Also, write your congressman and city manager.

Interesting that Chrome worked. I always use Chrome to manage my modem. 

New Poster

I've been having on and off issues with the new firmware. The wi-fi signal is weaker than it was before, and I can no longer stream videos from my computer to my *wired* Xbox360 through my local network.

Contributor

I do not have Xbox360 or any other game box. Tested My SBG6580 firmware 8.6.0.0 with 6 computers wireless with video and one blue ray wireless with video at same time over a short period of 1.5 hrs found no problems…I continue with 1 computer and Sony blue ray for 5 more hrs no problems....But I will save it for my backup while using the new SBG6782 firmware 8.6.0.0 now 3 months OK.

Authorized Vendor

Arris has sent us new code to test, if you would like to test it please send me via PM your CM(HFC)-MAC and a good email address..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Contributor

Have been working with comcast today and the new code..

Wireless dropouts seemed to get better.   However download speeds with wireless are horrible.  On my 50 meg connection I am getting 10-12mb down and 22+ up..   300mbps wireless N connection and laptop is 10-15 feet away from modem 100% signal.  So there is still some major issues..  Changed channel and still have same problems so.. It's a ltitle baby step forward I suppose.

Frequent Visitor

I would like the old, working firmware back.  We're not the Comcast test lab.  We're paying customers not getting what we're paying for.  I've had to rent a Comcast Wifi Gateway because of this.  If this new firmware doesn't work 100%, then roll us back please.

Contributor

I am getting pretty fed up..  Hard line seem to be ok in speeds.  ANY wireless device is horrible and dropping still.

I asked  the tech who I am speaking with for the old firmware and see if it clears up problems...  Waiting for answer..

New Poster

I'm with liquidpen on this one. I've had nothing but problems with this firmware update since it was pushed to my own personally owned router from CC last month. The wife and I have been having issues with our cell phones, Wii, Xbox360 and laptops (though the laptops have been better than the other devices) ever since this got pushed. What really burns my backside is the fact that this update was pushed without notice and without permission. I'd like to know where, in any contract that we agreed to, Comcast got my permission to do this without asking. I've had no problems with this router whatsoever (besides the occasional manual reboot [read approx every 3 months]) up until this release. Come on, CC. Push me back to the functional Motorola FW. Please don't make me call you guys. It will not go well.

Robert

Frequent Visitor

Calling wont help trust me I gave up after a dozen calls.  They wont even know what your talking about.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastTuska wrote:

Arris has sent us new code to test, if you would like to test it please send me via PM your CM(HFC)-MAC and a good email address..

Does the new code enable IPv6?

Regular Visitor

The issues I've been having are the loss of WiFi speed; pretty much cut in half. After numerous attemps with Comcast and getting no where, I went back and contacted an Arris tech via chat. After getting the normal "we don't control the firmware pushing out to the modems" line, he finally said lets change some settings. He had me go to the Primary wireless settings (under Wireless) and disabled the "WPS"...He then told me to go to QOS (also under Wireless) and turn off WMM Support and Power Save support, so basically all three (No-Acknowledgement should be off already) were off...I was getting about 25 mb/s since the firmware update, and after changing these settings, my Wifi speeds jumped back up to about 40 mb/s. Which is around the speeds I was getting before...hope this helps some of you out there; I know how frustrated I got during this whole thing. BTW, one of the Comcast techs I talked to said it looked like there was another update coming in the next week or two. I have no idea if that is true, or something he said to get me off the phone...good luck guys!

New Poster

Deja3 wrote:

The issues I've been having are the loss of WiFi speed; pretty much cut in half. After numerous attemps with Comcast and getting no where, I went back and contacted an Arris tech via chat. After getting the normal "we don't control the firmware pushing out to the modems" line, he finally said lets change some settings. He had me go to the Primary wireless settings (under Wireless) and disabled the "WPS"...He then told me to go to QOS (also under Wireless) and turn off WMM Support and Power Save support, so basically all three (No-Acknowledgement should be off already) were off...I was getting about 25 mb/s since the firmware update, and after changing these settings, my Wifi speeds jumped back up to about 40 mb/s. Which is around the speeds I was getting before...hope this helps some of you out there; I know how frustrated I got during this whole thing. BTW, one of the Comcast techs I talked to said it looked like there was another update coming in the next week or two. I have no idea if that is true, or something he said to get me off the phone...good luck guys!

FWIW, disabling WMM support could potentially cause problems with some devices.

For example, my Nexus 5 phone refuses to connect to WiFi if WMM is disabled.  Interestingly, my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, running the same version of Android (4.4.2 build KOT49H), has no such issue.

Just something to keep in mind, should anyone else try this and run into problems.

Frequent Visitor

Tuska wrote:

Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project
------------------------

Tuska does this mean there is hope? This is possibly good news that you have new code to test. I did experience the drops but my main issue as posted before was that wireless speeds dropped dramatically while wired speeds were normal.

I would be happy to test but I am out if town until next Tuesday.. Please keep us informed of this new code.

To others: I improved my drops by renewing all my ip addresses and I also turned off the power save feature. Now drops are not as frequent. I am fortunate enough to have three power line adapters and am using them for three if my laptops. (One adapter has 4 ports the others are single ports.) So if you are experiencing good wired speeds but not wireless and really need to use a laptop in another room or a game then take a look at obtaining a power line adapter. With my power line it am greeting speeds of 44 to 45 down. Not as perfect as the 55 to 57 I was getting with wireless but much better than going with the low speeds on wireless after the firmware update. Just thought I'd just share how the power line adapters help me. In one room I am using a 4 port adapter and have my blue ray, xbox and one laptop running.

Contributor

Looks like w/the new code wireless drops have stopped and modem does not lock up anymore..

Any wireless device connected to the modem is slow,  my laptop, my ipad, phone.     The dfownload ranges now from 8mb to 20mb depending on devices (all are wireless N) and had no problems w/reaching to 50-60 mb before..  The upload is good however its around 22-24 mb..

New Poster

So, switching off 802.11n and power save seem to have improved things on my end so far. I was finally able to stay connected to Xbox Live long enough to download a 250mb game update, however the 1.3GB game add-on may be a different story...
Contributor

Update I can no longer have wireless N mode only on.   I can't connect period.   My max speed for wreless devices to connect is now 54mbps instead of 300mbps... 

Arris has also contacted me they are escalating this whatever that means.

I am done,  Give me my old firmware back.    The one dropping connections was better then this test one.

Regular Visitor

I have been facing this issue for more than 6 weeks now. I have gotton patches from Comcast. Thanks to ComcastTuska for this.

However even after factory reset twice the wireless connection seems to work only 10% of the times.

One strange thing that I found is if I connected to VPN the connection can stay up the whole day. However if I not connected to VPN, the wireless connection will simply not work 90% of the times.

Very frustrating espicially if you a home worker (hung up between business calls).

Will changing the modem to t a different model work?

What is the recommended model?

Regular Visitor

ComcastTuska, I PM'd you. I work from home and am oncall 24x7 to boot this week. PLEASE pretty please, push out the update to my modem so I don't lose any more money!

Frequent Visitor

Has anyone had this issue:

I cannot access any menu items (they aren't there) when logging in to maintain my network controls.

Also, has anyone else noticed that since this change has happened there are actually pop up video commercials that eat away at your performance?

Contributor

I am done

They screwed up my modem beyond belief..  I now have NO internet...  \ I call comcast they are no help... I am just at loss for words...  This is the saddest company I have ever delt with..

Contributor

Spoiler

Distressed

Has anyone had this issue: I cannot access any menu items (they aren't there) when logging in to maintain my network controls.Also, has anyone else noticed that since this change has happened there are actually pop up video commercials that eat away at your performance?

Distressed

Has anyone had this issue: I cannot access any menu items (they aren't there) when logging in to maintain my network controls.Also, has anyone else noticed that since this change has happened there are actually pop up video commercials that eat away at your performance?

Factory Reset With The Reset Switch

1. 1.      Carefully insert the tip of a pen or an unwound paperclip into the reset switch and press on to it.

Hold down the Reset switch for 5 -10 seconds and release it.

NOTE: To assure the gateway factory defaults, hold the reset switch for 5 -10 seconds. The indicators are that all LEDs turn off.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. 

When I called Arris, this was their first option.  Comcast has said that the reason I cannot get to the functionality is because they lock down any changes when there is an outage in the area and there is one currently in my area.  It was supoosed to be fixed at 5:35PM, then at 8:28PM and he I am 12 hours plus later and still the same ol stuff!  Not sure I have much trust in what Comcast is telling me, but at the moment I'll go along.

This will be my last resort as doing this means I would have to set up my entire network again with about 12 MAC adresses and all the other security features.

New Poster

Charles Barkley would say that this is, "Turrable!"

I am experiencing the same issues here on my personally owned SBG6580.  Prior to the update, which was pushed without my knowledge or consent, the wireless was working flawlessly.  Now, not so much.  I can only get devices to connect if I set the radio to 5Ghz, which is fine and dandy, but I have devices that only work on 2.4Ghz.  Also, when my devices can stay connected, the throughput is less than half of what it used to be.

I have contacted Arris twice, but get the same canned responses.  When I reply saying that resetting the router/modem and changing channels do not work, I get absolutely no replies back.

After reading through this entire post, I have zero confidence that anything will be done to fix this.  I think I will get a dedicated cable modem and use one of my other wireless routers.  I should be reimbursed for my SBG6580 that was rendered useless by Comcast and Arris.

Frequent Visitor

This is all just mind over matter. Comcast doesn't mind and we don't matter. I also work from home and have pretty much given up. I went back to a sb6121 modem and a stand alone router. I spent $200 on the sbg6580 less than a year ago because Comcast said my sb6121 was bad when the problem was a issue with coax the whole time. I had finally got everything running good until they pushed this firmware out. Reminder to comcast that this is the 2nd time they pushed this firmware out within the last 4 months. So 2nd time we've all been through this no/poor performance because of the firmware push. 

They should work with a large group of volunteer customers that they reimburse (small credit to bill?) to test these upgrades before pushing them out (oh wait I again forgot they don't touch personally owned equipment). If they can't fix the issue they should bite the bullet and send us all free replacements. Maybe this is part of the gameplan to move people off privately owned equipment?

There has got to be something we as customers can do. We're not just rate payers, we pay a specified amount of our hard earned money to get a specified amount of product or service. What is happening now is completely unacceptable. I'm losing productivity working from home but they' re still getting paid. With the exception of this forum, I haven't seen comcast take any ownership of this issue at all. Their 1st and 2nd tier support doesn't even know about this and will even argue that they don't touch privately owned equipment. Doesn't anyone know a lawyer to see if this qualifies for a class action law suit?

Frequent Visitor

IT IS TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

THEY HAVE RENDER A PERFECTLY WORKING PRODUCT USELESS AND THEREFORE HAVE BREACHED FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE AMONG OTHERS.

Contributor

So I have an update.

I have been reverted back to SBG6580-6.5.0.0-GA-00-226-NOSH.  My wireless drop outs have stopped..   Howeever my wireless speeds still stink..  I have been told yesterday they don't think I was getting the speeds I claimed over wireless so I sent a .csv from speedtest.net.  My wireless speeds are still horrible..   They now claim my SNR is low however I never had these problems before firmware updates..   I haven't moved my modem, laptop etc..  I tried every single wireless combo, etc..    The tech I was talking to escolated this to local chicago market so waiting to hear back from whomever.  I tried to call comcast and schedule appointment last night I got frusted with punjab (no offense to any indian members) argued with him I wanted to speak to somebody in america and ended up hanging up..  So I will wait for the tech I was  talking to..

I have also been talking  to arris and still waiting for them to get back to me.   I should not have to be dealing with this... It really stinks..    I pay for a service i expect to work..   If not sorted out I will be lowering my speed and cancelling my tv service,  I truly miss having a DVR and going back to direct tv is sounding better and better...