Community Forum

Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

Frequent Visitor

Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

Noticed my Motorola SBG6580 is now an Arris SBG6580.  Firmware went from 6.5.0.0 to 8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH

The interface is completely changed around, it's all.. Web 1.5?  Lots of drop-down menus and stuff.  

IPv6 is here!  It's about time.  I don't know enough about it to know if it's set up properly or whatever.

Power went from ~-4 to ~-5.  Speed appears unaffected (I have 25/5 service).

I found one new thing, "Extend network range" which apparently ties into WDS.  It requires unencrypted wifi so I won't be touching that (and I dont need it).

Let's just hope they don't re-curse this thing.  

-SSZ

Regular Contributor

Re: Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

What region of the country do you live in?  Do you have IPv6 in your area? Could you post a screen shot of your new interface?

Authorized Vendor

I checked and yes your in the soak market..  Please tell us how the new firmware looks..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

This is rolling out again?

Frequent Visitor

I'm in Silicon Valley.  Here's the "Product Information" page.

new6580.jpg

Very modern and big.  My only complaint is the interface is really gigantic, even with my 1440p screen I need to scroll to see many of the screens which had previously been very small.  The big Arris header could be shrunk down a bit.  Otherwise very easy to navigate and use.

I have IPv6 enabled and running.  Tests show it is good to go.  I do have a very fringe work-related thing going on that could have been messed up with IPv6 suddenly turning on but that didn't come to pass, whew.  I'm not sure "automatically turn on IPv6 with an unannounced firmware update" is 100% kosher, ya know?

-SSZ

New Poster

Hi,

I noticed this new firmware only because my wireless starting dropping every 30 minutes or so.

The firmware is nice and more user friendly but has caused us 16 hours of internet misery.

I was on the phone with a very nice comcast tech that was trying to help but ultimately could not.

His suggestion to me was to lease a comcast moden until the firmware is fixed.

I'm feeling lost.  I not really wanting to pay to lease a modem when I have an expensive APPROVED comcast modem.

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact same problem with my modem dropping numerous times since yesterday. Everytime I see it there is critical prioirty log entry: 

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=b8:16:19:30:bc:fb;CMTS-MAC=00:22:90:c6:b8:a4;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Just called and spoke to a Comcast rep who also suggested replacing the 7 month old router. Please roll me back to the previous firmware version or fix the issue. Thanks.

Regular Visitor

I got upgraded too on Feb 14th 2014 during the evening. I noticed that Internet access was flaky during the upgrade but now I'm happy to have IPv6 support. You can check your public IPv6 address at http://ipv6.whatismyv6.com/ All my IPv6-capable DHCP clients on the LAN also have IPv6 addresses now. The SBG6580 now has a separate page to configure DHCPv6. 

(As an aside, don't remember whether the previous Motorola firmware had the guest WiFi network support but the Arris version certainly does.)  

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

Comcast kicked me in the Arris

WTHeck??  Why wasn't I told before Comcast altered the software on a computing device I own??  (How do you manage to do that without running afoul of the computer crime laws??)

Why is it that Comcast installed this software on my device and removed my capacity to login to the router (via its web interface).  My previous account/password isn't working.  I'm worried Comcast has installed some default password, opening me up to an attack.

As reported by others, we're having lousy network service the past couple of days with the network dropping out, forcing me to power cycle twice.  Right now a DHCP host is failing to get a connection.

And, why is it that Comcast's phone support doesn't know about this?  Front line phone support ("Dylan" 19:06PST 16-Feb -- I think he was in Wireless support) doesn't know about any firmware upgrade.  He reported his manager may have heard rumors that it was happening.  Dylan sent me to someone else who said they were the wrong department (Stop me if you've heard this before) and I got sent back to Wireless.  That guy didn't know about the firmware upgrades either, but at least he got me to Engineering.  (That guy tried to tell me that the device went out on its own to do the upgrades, but we know that is a myth meant to deflect Comcast's responsibility for this.  Yeah, right..... The devices don't know what market they are in, so how would they know it is their turn to get the new firmware?)

I guess this is The Phone Company (see The President's Analyst from 1967) and they expect you can do nothing about it.   And, they're grabbing a bigger chunk of the US to control (2020: What, you want to use Hulu?  Well, now, we're going to make your ability to connect to them a premium service, that is, unless you don't mind TCP packet failures.)

Engineering didn't seem to know much but didn't admit to not knowing firmware upgrades were being done (nor did they indicate they knew).  After an intermission where he was consulting someone, he didn't have any better solution than to reset the device.  He didn't have access to a manual for the device.  And, worse, he didn't know what the password would be after a reset.  So I researched the reset button and the default password (still admin/motorola -- which, by the way, didn't work prior to reset).   All that might be reasonable for a device I own, if it wasn't Comcast that caused the problems.

After I got my device reset, I've found that its reset configuration isn't compatible with my old network addresses.  I was using 192.168.4/24 for my network.  It might allow me to set it to such a network, but for the fact that it has 1 primary network (192.168.0/24), 1 documented guest network (192.168.1/24) and 3 undocumented guest networks (192.168.2/24, 192.168.3/24, 192.168.4/24) that are reserved, and apparently it reserves 192.168.100/24 as well.  I have no way via the interface to change those undocumented addresses.

I also found that the device would not load the configuration I had saved under the older firmware.  A real crime they didn't notify me & let me initiate the upgrade, after reviewing my configuration.  Now I have to rediscover it again  AND change all the fixed IPs I had.

And, speaking of real crime, the fact that they opened me up to IPv6 without notifying me seems the kind of thing a Microsoft would do.  While we have experience with IPv4 and how the software on our computers deal with it, we don't have experience with IPv6.  Are the firewalls in place sufficient to stop attacks coming from IPv6?  Are methodologies like blacklists suitable for the immense increase in address space?

LOUSY PLANNING.  LOUSY EXECUTION.  LOUSY SUPPORT MANAGEMENT.  Support personnel that are left in the dark and then make up false excuses.  And, seemingly, lousy firmware or at least lousy firmware upgrade path management.    Was it intentional that Silicon Valley would be the alpha test for this firmware?

Sure makes me want to send a copy of The President's Analyst to my representatives in Congress and point out the similarities of TPC to Comcast, with a question of why should they be allowed to control further areas of the US.

[Whoopee, a guest network.  Unless the user knows enough to enforce authentication, it's a way for someone trolling the neighborhood to download illegal movies or worse. Or, if you're foolish enough to use an unencrypted wireless network, your traffic is open for anyone to watch. Double the number of wireless SSIDs (by adding a guest network to each private network) in an urban neighborhood and watch your bandwidth go way down just due to the polling nature of wireless, even if half the networks are idle.]

New Poster

Comast just installed the new router today. I am also noticing dropouts on all my devices wireless and Ethernet connection. Is their a firmware upgrade to resolve this issue. I also notice glitches on my tv programming thought it was just a question of resetting the line but as I read everyones comments it could be a bigger issue. Is their a resolutions. My wife is very mad at me for having them install the new hardware. Please Help.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast kicked me in the Arris

If you're losing packets, you may want to make sure that Firewall > IP Flood detection is turned off.   (I had to recreate all my settings after having to reset the device.  That's one I forget which way is the better way to set it.)

Also, I found it was nearly useless to reserve IP addresses in DHCP.  As soon as the router restarts, all static reservations are forgotten.

New Poster

Within the last 2 days, when my computer (Windows 7 64bit) connects to our Wi-Fi network with the SBG6580 - SBG6580-8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH firmware after a short period of time (15mins-1hour) the Wi-Fi network crashes.

Still shows that it is a network, but all computers connected to the network are disconnected and the internet drops.  We have to restart the modem and then it works again.  If I leave my PC disconnected from the network, either my wireless card disabled or removed, the connection holds all day.

I work during the day and my roomates work at home and they have noticed not problems until I turn on my computer and connect to the network.

I even purchased a new wireless card thinking it was an issue with my previous, very old, wireless card.

The issue has persisted even with the new card.  I've read on the boards that this is not a issue with my PC, but an issue with either Comcast or the firmware that was updated on my router?

Any fix for this issue?  Or suggestions?

Problem Solver

The reason it states "Arris", is that Arris purchased the Networking line from Motorola, when they divided up the company after the sellout to Google. Only one division is still owned & operated under the Motorola name.
Regular Contributor

Has anyone had problems with the new firmware when the SBG6580 is in bridge mode? 

New Poster

My month+ SBG6580 router was auto-updated overnite.

My computer with a 802.11N adapter worked fine, but my laptop with a 802.11b/g adapter could only stay connected to the internet for 2-10 minutes before dropping.

Everything worked fine before -- I switched from 2.4G to 5G to get better connectivity w/o problems a week ago but it does not matter now.

From the behavior I wondered if there is a DNS problem -- noticed there are both ipv4 and ipv6 DNS address pairs from the new firmware -- but I don't see any benefit from ipv6.

I generally don't like to upgrade router software -- just replace them when they fail.

So I am stuck with a AT&T DSL Link score of 48 versus a Comcast link score of 84, but at least AT&T works.

So who updated the router? Comcast has never accepted support responsibility for this device.

Problem Solver

A lot of times, it is the wireless driver, congested channels in your area, or too far from the wireless router or Access Point. Adding an extra Access point helps, along with changing the channel to something that does not have as many Wireless A/P's on it. To find out how many, you would need something like inSSIDer, or Ekahaus or Xirrus. There is one other wifi tool out there, but the name escapes me at this moment.
Frequent Visitor

On OS X,

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport --scan

will give the list of wireless access points that are visible (SSID, Mac address, signal strength (RSSI), channel, security).   The "--getinfo" switch will tell you about where you are connected.

--scan output:
                            SSID BSSID             RSSI CHANNEL HT CC SECURITY (auth/unicast/group)
                    XXX Wireless 00:22:55:xx:xx:xx -89  6       Y  US WPA2(802.1x/AES/AES) 
                   XXX Guest Net 00:1d:46:xx:xx:xx -83  149     N  US WPA(PSK/TKIP,AES/TKIP) WPA2(PSK/TKIP,AES/TKIP) 

=============
--getinfo output:
     agrCtlRSSI: -63    [Signal strength. -50 is very strong -75 is very weak]
     agrExtRSSI: 0
    agrCtlNoise: -90    [The difference of RSSI and Noise is important]
    agrExtNoise: 0
          state: running
        op mode: station 
     lastTxRate: 130    [The transmission rate (130Mbps) of the last transmission]
        maxRate: 144    [Limit of transmission rate]
lastAssocStatus: 0
    802.11 auth: open
      link auth: wpa2-psk    [Security]
          BSSID: 0:22:55:xx:xx:xx  [Base station MAC]
           SSID: XXX Guest Net  [Network name]
            MCS: 15
        channel: 36     [Channel.  This is a 5GHz radio]

New Poster

I got the new firmware and I'm occationally able to get IPv6 working.  Doesn't seem very stable yet.  Anyone else have more success?

Authorized Vendor

KF6NUX wrote:

I got the new firmware and I'm occationally able to get IPv6 working.  Doesn't seem very stable yet.  Anyone else have more success?

Send me your CM-MAC and an email address please, I have not heard of any issues with v6 and this code..  

Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

New Poster

My midem is constantly kicking me off the web as well. This is extremely frustrating. Any help will be appreciated

Authorized Vendor

flaky_sbg6580 wrote:

My midem is constantly kicking me off the web as well. This is extremely frustrating. Any help will be appreciated

What modem and firmware do you have?

New Poster

I have SBG6580. I also got this firmware pushed 8.6.0.0

Now I don't have internet for two days. No one can fix it. I spoke with 10 people in comcast tech support. They don't even know what firmware is. Please fix my internet. 

New Poster

A week ago I noticed some strange freezes with internet.

I have checked my router, and it is arris now.

And I have internet freezes every day after that upgrade.

It is very annoying and frustrating 

New Poster

I was upgraded overnight last night to firmware SBG6580-8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH

In December, I was upgraded to SBG6580-8.5.0.0-GA-05-15-NOSH which was rolled back after a few days as many people including myself were having issues with wifi stability.

I'm having the exact same problems with this new version. My wifi drops about every 10 minutes. A wired connection is fine, but the wifi is unstable and unusable.

This thread on DSL reports describes the problems I had with this firmware and the last one:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28880972-Firmware-SBG6580-new-Comcast-firmware-SBG6580-8.5.0.0-GA-0...

Comcast, please put back the old firmware version. I would like my wifi to work again!

Contributor

I found my SBG 6580 had the new look recently when trying to diagnose why the WIFI was dropping out several times a day - which it is still doing.  Came as something of a surprise to me.  Those of us who are tech savvy would at least like a headd-up in our inbox when the interface to our equipment is going to 1) change radically and 2) MAKE OUR LIFE MISERABLE because it doesn't actually work.

Frequent Visitor

I was just updated this morning and have spent the last 3 hours to get to this point to finally get a wired connection to remain for more than 15 minutes without dropping let the SB6580 sit for a long time letting it recycle the updates.  But I am still having same issues as other have reported or at least had them happen. Thank god this happened after my daughter, who had to work from home this Sunday to remotely handle a major change for her company, got up as early as she did to finish her task. 

Main issues - is that the internet will drop off to local wireless access only after just what seems to be a few minutes.

Machines connected to wireless say they are connected to my internal network but do not reach any pages. 

To make matters worse - I don't even have IPv6. So what's with that?

I am about 45 miles northwest of Chicago.

I checked all of the ARRIS settings after having a heck of a time staying connected to it. I even refreshed the IP addresses on my network of 6 laptops, two media devices, one sling box and 4 phones. Three kindles two powering networks and two wireless APs. I even refreshed the IP on my neighbor who leeches my guest access (just kidding about the latter one).

*** update - I deleted the IPs in Arris and restarted the outer and all devices and I now have stability with connection. I also renewed the Smart TVs that I have. It may just be a coincidence but at least I have not lost connectivity. But I have noticed a speed drop on my wireless devices.

* Wired directly to the router I  I still get my normal 57.87 Down and 11.86 up

* On 4 of my wire;sees laptops I would tests between 46 and 57 up and 11.XX down but now the best I got on one wire;sees machine was about 38 Down.

* On my Viso TV which is connected vis wireless I would typically test at 18 to 21 down but now the best I was able to get is 11.XX down. On a second smart TV that is wired that maintained its normal high speed.

* On one laptop I can not seem to get past 22 down.

* On my iPhone via my wireless network it was not uncommon for me to test at 36 down and 8 to 10 up. Now the best I got was about 22.

* On my ipad I would generally test in the upper 20s with occasional 30s now I can not get past 18 down.

Just thought I'd report this in case other experience the same. I'll see when happens.

I was going to clean up and reorganize my office today - so if anything this update gave me an excuse to not get that done - LOL.

New Poster

I have noticed that after the installation of the new firmware my wireless speed is less than 1/3 of what it used to be. Wired connection is fine. I also have mutiple drop outs on daily basis. My wireless range is slightly reduced. I do not want to reset my modem, because I had spent hours 2 years back to set it up for my security system. what should I do now?

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/443093364.png

Regular Visitor

MY 658 was updated last night. Admin password was reverted. WiFi SSIDs were still set up, but NONE of my devices will even connect. Only the one wired computer can connect, but it keeps getting messages that another device has it's IP address. THERE IS ONLY 1 COMPUTER ON IN THE HOUSE!

Contributor

So, Comcast.  What do you plan to do about this?  I'm certainly not going to put up with a home network that requires me to get up and reset my equipment a dozen times a day, not for the amount of money that comes out of my wallet every month.  

I get charged every month for every bit of service that I use.  Will I be compensated for loss of services not in my power to control?  How long is a reasonable wait for a resolution before I go shopping for another vendor?  

Authorized Vendor

bbeauchaine8740 wrote:

So, Comcast.  What do you plan to do about this?

Have you called support on this? Arris or Comcast?  Send me a PM with your CM-MAC and email address so I can forward it onto the team looking into this.

Authorized Vendor

maxriders wrote:

Main issues - is that the internet will drop off to local wireless access only after just what seems to be a few minutes.

Machines connected to wireless say they are connected to my internal network but do not reach any pages. 

Did you try a factory reset as well?  on the new code it fixed the factory reset issue..

Frequent Visitor

jorhay wrote

it keeps getting messages that another device has it's IP address. THERE IS ONLY 1 COMPUTER ON IN THE HOUSE!

(1) Virtually all computers have multiple network interfaces (wireless, wired, USB, ...).  If two or more of those interfaces are gaining access, they could be configured to use the same IPv4 address.

(2) Many devices have networks (wired or wireless).  TV, DVR, CD/DVD players, printers, smart phones, ...  Maybe one or more of them is connecting to your network.

(3) there are physical devices that ask for two addresses to be assigned to a single interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Platform_Management_Interface)

Previously, I wrote

After I got my device reset, I've found that its reset configuration isn't compatible with my old network addresses.  I was using 192.168.4/24 for my network.  It might allow me to set it to such a network, but for the fact that it has 1 primary network (192.168.0/24), 1 documented guest network (192.168.1/24) and 3 undocumented guest networks (192.168.2/24, 192.168.3/24, 192.168.4/24) that are reserved, and apparently it reserves 192.168.100/24 as well.  I have no way via the interface to change those undocumented addresses.

I believe the router will use the .1 addresses (eg, 192.168.x.1) on each of those nets.  And the .0 and .255 addresses are generally reserved.  If your address isn't one of those, you might describe what address you're using, and also say whether you've set it up as a static address or have it set for the address to be assigned (by DHCP).

It may be that some of my networking problems after the forced update were related to my using 192.168.4/24 (if you're not familiar with CIDR notation, that is the subnet consisting of addresses 192.168.4.0, .1, .2 ..., .255).    Setting that up on the old firmware was a deliberate act and not something most people would do.   (Of course, the networking problems are distinct from the Comcast management issues of changing my device without even notifying me, and are distinct from the support problems where Comcast even kept their support personnel in the dark.)

We still have had some outages, but these are usually consistent with Comcast treating its customers as not-worthy-of-nearly-constant-service (ie, home users).   Things will go down in the middle of the night.

At least Comcast gave me a laugh today when one of them asked:

Have you called support on this? Arris or Comcast? 

Comcast/Arris:  Why don't you allow (or better, require) the authentication to login to the router to be protected by https??  You know, passwords are best protected by encryption (guest network and wired network aren't encrypted).

<form action="/goform/login" method="post" name="login" id="login">

Frequent Visitor

maxriders wrote:

Did you try a factory reset as well? on the new code it fixed the factory reset issue..
Senior Network Engineer, Comcast
v6 Project

Not sure what you mean? I am not having a factory reset issue. Just the fact all my wireless devices have much lower speeds then before this arris update. I also seem to think I saw many people reporting that their modems are now not working after a factory reset. Today the wireless speeds are even worse. Yes I don't have ipv6 but at this point I just want the high wireless speeds back.
New Poster

I am having the same problem with my Windows 7 laptop (but not my Windows 8 tablet) - I can't maintain a wireless internet for more than 10 to 15 minutes. I sent you a PM with more specifics.

New Poster

Hello i have simmiler problem. My sbg6580 reboots repeatedly with log message "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=XXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;"

please help

santa clara

california

Regular Visitor

I have a similar issue. Every day couple of times, the internet connection will drop.

Tue Mar 04 11:55:58 2014 Error (4) TR-069 Statically Configured ACS URL Missing Tue Mar 04 11:55:25 2014 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CMMAC=
##.##.##.##.##;CMTS-MAC=##.##.##.##.##;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Authorized Vendor

solarizer wrote:

I have a similar issue. Every day couple of times, the internet connection will drop.

\ \

Frequent Visitor

I'm actually seeing modem lockups too.  It's the same, a couple of days or so.  It seems to be sensitive to devices being put on the network.  If I power on several devices at once, something is likely to knock it out.  Though sometimes it's just one random thing powered on that causes it.  If I am not turning things on or introducing devices to the network, it seems to be stable.

-SSZ

Contributor

Anyone have any news on this?  It's not improving.  Wireless drops out at least once every night and I lost all connections this evening, even my wired links.  

I've been with Comcast for a long time now, but man, this is the kind of thing that turns customers into ex-customers, after long enough...

Authorized Vendor

bbeauchaine8740 wrote:

Anyone have any news on this?  It's not improving.  Wireless drops out at least once every night and I lost all connections this evening, even my wired links.  

We have alot of smart people looking into this Arris and Comcast..  Some of you I have contacted to get more details..  But we are working on this..

Contributor

Great, thanks for the update.  It's a lot easier to be patient when you're informed that people are working on the problem.  

New Poster

Same kind of issues as others are reporting.  Mainly traveling to 192.168.0.1, (the modem setup page).  Causes the wireless connection to drop completely.

While some may find the update to be a benefit, and convenience to them.  I do not share this view.

" In a warkitting attack, a hacker replaces the firmware of an attacked router. This allows them to control all traffic for the victim, and could even permit them to disable SSL by replacing HTML content as it is being downloaded."

Have we been the unwilling recipient of a update, or a unwilling recipient of warkitting?

Authorized Vendor

LemonV wrote:

Same kind of issues as others are reporting.  Mainly traveling to 192.168.0.1, (the modem setup page).  Causes the wireless connection to drop completely.

Try and reboot your device we have a new bootfile in the field that corrects the issue.

Frequent Visitor

I finially got the update and love it, it looks so nice and modern. I also appreciate that I can finially change DNS servers. The last thing left is to get IPv6 working.

Frequent Visitor

Hey ComcastTuska, I have an SBG6580, I dont know what happened but I am assuming there was a firmware update recently by Motorola/Arris but I have a horrible internet connection. The Comcast guy came out and looked at everything and told me "Comcast cannot guarantee speeds, just that it works" Which is understandable but whenever I am having speeds as low as 3.5 download and 1.0 upload, there is something major going on. The ping was in the 400's at one point. All I know is that 2-3 days ago, I was consistently getting 50-60 download and 15-25 upload (I pay for the blast package, which is 50 down.) What has happened the past couple of days that has messed my connection up so badly? You're my last resort since the Comcast guy didn't know what was up.

Authorized Vendor

RyanGee88 wrote:

Hey ComcastTuska, I have an SBG6580, What has happened the past couple of days that has messed my connection up so badly? You're my last resort since the Comcast guy didn't know what was up.

PM Me your CM(HFC)-MAC and I will have someone take a look really quick like..

Frequent Visitor

I just sent over a PM. I'm so glad I've finally reached someone that understands Networking! Thanks for the quick response!

Regular Visitor

Im glad one of the techs helped me out.  

Regular Contributor

I noticed my firmware was changed to SBG6580-8.6.0.0-GA-01-971-NOSH sometime in the last 24 hrs. l'm in Boca Raton FL. Still checking it out. I'm a little disappointed that Ipv6 hasn't been enabled but hopefully they're working on it. IPv6 isn't available in my area yet. Some of the posts said IPv6 would be ready in the spring of 2014.

Frequent Visitor

Have you had any issues with the new firmware hollow? My speeds have dropped drastically. Not sure what's up. Tuska is in the process of helping me out, i just wondered if I'm the only one having speed issues.