Community Forum

Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

Contributor

Re: Check your SBG6580 - It might be Arris'd! (new firmware)

Chirag-K

Few days ago you did update my firmware, but I still experience the same WiFi cut off. What's now?

You should have my HFC #.

Appreciate your attention to this problem

thanks

Frequent Visitor

Please rollback to the Motorola firmware!!

Every year this Arris firmware comes out and kills the service, and we end up going back to Motorola.

The Motorola firmware always works. This Arris firmware doesn't

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

for all of you who have been "Arris'd" ,  you should know the latest version is not stable (SBG6580-8.6.2.0-GA-00-131-NOSH).

i just had mine rolled back to the stable version of the  Motorola firmware.

SBG6580-6.5.2.0-GA-06-077-NOSH

see: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Early-testing-of-new-firmware-for-Motorola-...

Contributor

So I'm livid.

It's bad enough that we had to go through this B.S. a year ago as unintentional Beta testers for a company that evidently cannnot figure out how to test their firmware - take some of that money I've been sending you for well over a decade now and buy a copy of ChipScope, fer Chrissakes.

Now we get to play the same game all over again.  Daily dropped wireless and wired connections.  An internet connection that I now spend more time debugging than I do using. Getting dropped out of my BF4 game every 10 minutes.

For once I kept that Fronteir ad in the mail.  Off I go to Fronteir.com to use the only vote at my disposal to see if I can find a business that doesn't jack me around by not even bothering to tell me the next time they're going to brick my router with shyte for firmware. 

Frequent Visitor

Just been Arris'd with my configurations all messed around, waiting to be rolled back to 6.5 by Chris. If successful, plan is to tell many others at work who are having experienced issues due to this same Arris update and request roll back given this was the first thing they asked me. (How do I go back?) Hopefully they will get the hint it was a bad idea to carry out CM FW downloads in this manner and should warn customers when interrupting to enable new features, like Xfinity guest networks and IPv6. I will be watching this more closely now, ensuring my iSP is not putting my network and users at risk with out supporting or telling me. Enabling guest wifi for trolling internet thieves is not my idea of getting what I'm paying for. Haven't you ever seen the weird dude at Starbucks by himself in the corner with the black Mac book just waiting for someone to login to their bank or cc? Why would we want that in our home or neighborhoods?

It seems like they should be fined for changing people's home configurations regardless of the TOS legal statements. Att, Verizon, others are not downloading 3yr overdue updates that interrupt service due to instability when run on customers owned equipment. In fact, most iSP only lease equipment for this reason and still do not touch router or home networking side, regardless of the maintenance or service updates. Sad I am now contemplating purchasing separate router so I can keep them from messing up my home network.

If they are not willing to help or support you when you own your equipment, they should not be touching your configuration, especially interrupting your home networking router configuration during prime hours. (Do it at 3am so I can call and complain early on) Another thing, if the plan is to push out IPv6 upgrades to everyone (even those who own their own equipment) should'nt they have prepared the technical support people. I have seen others discuss this issue and mention the same thing when they call, with rep blaming equipment if not leased or trying to debug wifi signals or non-exsistant router issues when the problem is clearly a CM and a local CMTS management issue.

And they wanted to take over TWC...sheesh what are these politicians thinking. Smiley Sad

If anything, they should be broken up by the FTC.
Official Employee

Firmware was rolled back this morning, a reboot of the device should initiate a downgrade to 6.5.2.0 release.

-Chirag

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

does the rollbacked version support ipv6?

Official Employee

@vidjuheffex wrote:

does the rollbacked version support ipv6?

No it does not, that was one of the main reasons of new firmware to get IPv6 support on SBG6580.

-Chirag

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChirag-K wrote:

Firmware was rolled back this morning, a reboot of the device should initiate a downgrade to 6.5.2.0 release.

-Chirag

Are you still looking for beta tester for future updates, or is this the end for the SBG6850 and IP6 support.

Official Employee

@kr88 wrote:
Are you still looking for beta tester for future updates, or is this the end for the SBG6850 and IP6 support.

I will be at some point, but will see what Arris finds out with this random WiFi issues. Can I consider you for future beta testing? If yes, is it possible if you could PM me your HFC MAC address?

-Chirag

Contributor

I did just that on my unit - rolled back to original Motorola version. Still experiencing same WiFi problem.

It might be due to symbolization between my router and Comcast servers.

New Poster

Thanks for the quick reply ComcastChirag-K

Contributor

chirag-K

on our PM you suggested Comcast & Arris will monitor my router to see what is happaning there.

Now my router has the original Motorola S/W, and still have the issue of connecting after laptop or even my iphone 6 are coming up from suspenson.

please advise.

Frequent Visitor

Same here...have the rolled back version and now my wifi clients randomly drop and loose dhcp their addressing from router. Using device sw I can see that sometimes these devices are some how obtaining a 169.x.x.x addressing but have no connectivity now that the router is not establishing proper dhcp addressing with clients (subnet/gateway are invalid now). Oddly the dhcp device list page still has the original 192.x.x.x addressing so the router thinks nothing is wrong. Wish they never downloaded this Arris build which seems to have corrupted my router configs.
Contributor

from my past online chat with their techincians, it seems the issue is timeout between our Modem and servers at comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Chirag-

For what it's worth-

I stream internet talk shows on my iPhone6 every night.

Here are my comments on both Firmware:

The New Arris Firmware you just rolled back:

-Much better than the Motorola Firmware at holding wireless connections.

(Not perfect, still got disconnects, but the disconnects automatically resolved,

or could be manually reconnected without reboot of gateway)

-Speeds on the iPhone6 much faster, connection much stronger,

no pauses in pages loading, consistent connection quality

-Signal seemed stronger by ~5db in a weak area of my home.

Motorola Firmware:

-Wireless disconnects shut down connections for all wireless connections on

internal network.  Gateway MUST be rebooted to reconnect wireless network clients. 

-Wireless Signal weaker by 5db.

-Inconsistent connection quality, need to reorient iPhone or start

page load again.

New Arris that you had on for a few weeks here and now recently rolled back

was a huge improvement over the Motorola firmware.  At least I didn't have

all wireless clients disconnected and have to reboot the gateway once or twice a

week.  Connections still dropped while listening to streaming internet audio.

Wireless quality was much stonger, faster, on the new Arris firmware.

If you could eliminate the disconnects, I think you have a solid firmware in the

new Arris. 

If given a choice, I prefer the new Arris to the Motorola.

Contributor

This is rediculous. It can not continue on. I have had this modem/router for less then 2 years. Since Arris tampered with the firmware, all has been going downhill. Frequent interruptions with WiFi.. Even after the Motorola firmware was restored, I still experience same frequent cutoff.

Is Comcast & Arris are going to do something about it?,  I sure hope reputable companies have the courage to stand behind their products. Had it been due H/W issues - by all mean, I would buy another unit, but it is clearly a s/w issue, and can be fixed.

Chirag-K I do hope you will attend this issue and solve it for many of us who use the SBG6580 modem/router.

Here is another hidden cost to consumers.

Many cell users surfing the net or receiving emails with their cell phone, have limited calling & data plan. Almost in all cases, when WiFi is cutoff, the cell automatically switches to the phone's data stream to continue the download - costing users undo usage of their limited data - after which they are charged fee for each megabyte used.

Contributor

I just read somewhere that, changing the "lease time" period from its default 3600 to much higher numner ( I chose 360000) will solve the problem of wireless drop-restart

1) Log into the modem site 192.......

2) admin/motorola

3) basic/dchp/lease time

4) save & log out

5) Restart Modem

So far I have not gathered enough expereince to verify it, and would be very intersted to learn if it works for others.

Contributor

It has been two weeks with the new setting. So far is seems to do the trick. Almost no WiFi drop out / in.