Community Forum

Channel Bonding - Gigabit Internet - Arris 8200 modem

New Poster

Channel Bonding - Gigabit Internet - Arris 8200 modem

So I noticed a strange thing with the channel bonding of my Arris 8200 modem. I recently upgraded to the Gigabit internet, and instead of renting a modem, I decided to save the monthly fee and purchase my own modem. It took a few days and one service tech trip to get me going at relatively good speeds (936 Mbps down), which I thoroughly enjoy. However, when I looked at the status of the modem, I noticed that the channels didn't start at 1 and go through 32. It starts at 17 and goes through 48, which is 32 channels, yet on the upstream side, it's only showing 4 channels being bonded instead of 8. This explains why the light is only green for my upstream side instead of blue if it were bonded on all 8 channels. What's going on with this? I'm near Houston, if that helps any.

https://i.postimg.cc/SKFGxbXV/Channel-Bonding-6-23-19.jpg

Expert

Re: Channel Bonding - Gigabit Internet - Arris 8200 modem

@Dragn wrote:

I noticed that the channels didn't start at 1 and go through 32. It starts at 17 and goes through 48, which is 32 channels,

It does not matter how the channels are numbered. It's random. The headend techs / engineers can label them anything that they want to.

yet on the upstream side, it's only showing 4 channels being bonded instead of 8. This explains why the light is only green for my upstream side instead of blue if it were bonded on all 8 channels.

Comcast only offers a maximum of 4 upstream channels.

And with that model modem, the upstream light is green because Comcast does not yet offer DOCSIS 3.1 on the upstream. It's not because of the channel bonding (like a DOCSIS 3.0 modem) / amount of channels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Alright. Thanks for the answer. Appreciate it.

Expert

Quite welcome !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!