Community Forum

Changed my plan from 150 Mbps to 1 Gig and now I am getting 21.9 to 33 Mbps

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Changed my plan from 150 Mbps to 1 Gig and now I am getting 21.9 to 33 Mbps

Hi,

With 2 of us working from home and 1 now homeschooling and another not working so she is home we decided we needed to upgrade our internet speed. Yesterday we were actually hitting 160mbps before I called to change our service and the guy told me I had to take our modem in and exchange it so I left my house and headed to Comcast to be told that we already had the right modem. Now we are getting 21.9 to 22 Mbps. I have done the chat for help, had someone call me back who was clueless and said well you have many devices so you divide that 1gig and you should get around 66Mbps on each item. Called again a few hours later and we were told so sorry nothing looks wrong on our end we will need to send out a tech. Oh, wait but with the stay at home order, we can not do that. So we asked if we could go back to our old plan until a tech can come out and we were told that is also not possible. So now I am paying for worse service then we had and have no end in sight. We have the Voice and Data Modem Technicolor CGM4140COM
Help!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Changed my plan from 150 Mbps to 1 Gig and now I am getting 21.9 to 33 Mbps

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I was getting better speeds on the blast plan during the shelter in place and like you I decided to go up to the gig plan for the exact same reasons. I get 1/4 of the speed I'm paying for. I have yet to go over 250mbps during off peak even after having techs come check my lines and multiple calls to tech support.
Highlighted
Contributor

So situation here it’s been 6 months 10 techs visits and still no resolution. In fact they want to send out an 11th tech which of course solves nothing. Such a joke
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Are you using your own modem and if so what are you currently using. I'm on my third Arris SB8200 that I have exchanged and still getting the same 40-250mbps speeds on the gig plan.
Highlighted
Contributor

When I moved to gigabit I bought the netgear, then the Motorola, and then the arris T25. Of course I need one with the phone jack even though I got tricked into it and will never use the phone. But I tried all 3 of those with the same issues and kept the Arris T25. I also have a ASUS Ax11000 router. I’ve spent hours on the phone with Arris support and they showed me the logs the power is to low. Comcast just refuses to work with me. Out of the 10 “techs” 3 said it was an outside issue, 2 refused to do anything, 1 came at 5 on a Friday and was in and out in 6 minutes, 2 said they would put in a ticket and the last 2 said nothing was wrong. It’s all a joke.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We have:

Voice and Data Modem

Technicolor CGM4140COM

Yesterday when I called to change my plan the guy said I needed to head to Comcast for an upgrade. But when I got there they said I had the latest modem and sent me back home with the one I had. 🙄

Highlighted
Contributor

I should also say that I when out and purchased an Orbi mesh system with even worse speed results. I took it back the next day but I’ve tried 3 modems and 2 different routers all with horrible gigabite service. My service was better on blast with my 7 year old modem.
Highlighted
Contributor

I refuse to use a Comcast modem. There a lot they don’t disclose about using there modem/router setup in addition to the ridiculous cost. Plus if my set up would actually work like I pay for it, it’s better