Community Forum

Change IP Addresses from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x

Contributor

Change IP Addresses from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x

Newly installed Comcast wifi network with TC8305c wireless modem/router.  Previous network/provider was Earthlink DSL.  Everything is up and running properly on the Comcast network except one device ...our standby home Koehler generator.  The genny has an on-board ethernet connection which allows it to send out text message notifications to our smart phones/tablets during certain events.  The firmware on the genny...which cannot be updated beyond it's current level...requires an IP address of 192.168.x.x in order to connect to the router.  The default IP range for Comcast is 10.0.x.x. 

Questions:

1 - Can I change the range of IP addresses used by the modem/router from the current 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x?

2 - Is that done by logging into the modem (10.0.0.1) and navigating to the GATEWAY:CONNECTION:LOCAL IP NETWORK and changing the Gateway IP address to 192.168.0.0?

3 - Will this cause any ill effects with the mode, router functions, my wifi network, etc?  ALL of my other connected devices ran fine on the previous network with either a 10.x.x.x or a 192.168.x.x IP address.  It's just the genny that needs the 192.168.x.x address.

4 - Anything else I should consider before I make this change and if it doesn't work (Murphy!) can I change it back without bricking the modem?

Thanks.

Rich

Expert

Re: Change IP Addresses from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x

1. Yes
2. Yes but I would either use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
3. All your devices should just change from the 10.x.x.x to 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x
4. You should be able to go back to the original settings for it without bricking it.
Contributor

1. Yes
2. Yes but I would either use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
3. All your devices should just change from the 10.x.x.x to 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x
4. You should be able to go back to the original settings for it without bricking it.

------------------------------

OK, thanks.  that's what i hoped would be the case.  when we made the switch on my old DSL system I first shut off everything that was connected to the network both wired and wireless, made the change, re-booted the modem and tower and then re-started all attached devices one-by-one.  io'm presuming that method holds true in this case.  anything else i should be aware of or concerned about?  and i was planning to use 192.168.1.x format. the DSL modem had a backup settings feature...can't seem to find one on the comcast modem.  am i overlooking something there?

Rich

Expert

Log into the gateway with your username and password. There should be a button under the bridge mode switch that says “Save Current Configuration.” Click that button and it should download a file which is a backup of the configuration of the gateway. If the computer asks you if you want to keep or discard the file saying that is possibly harmful (seen this on Google Chrome), click on keep, if it asks.
Contributor

ok, appreciate the help.

rich
Contributor

just to tie a ribbon on this....when i re-connected the genny it connected right up using a 10.0.0.x IP address.  sooooo, it looks like the info i received from the mfg (Kohler) was incorrect about the NIC in the genny wanting to see a 192.168.x.x address. i now have no idea why it would not connect on our old DSL system but it's moot. 

thanks again for the help.

Rich