Community Forum

Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct

Over the last year I have been struggling with an issue with my WiFi where some devices that have been previously connect have the “wrong password “ despite the fact this is not the case. A reboot often causes the issue to stop for a bit however the issue always resurfaces. I have of course called to have a tech out. He told me it was my inside wiring which is absurd as there is no point in which the authentication between your wireless access point and your device requires to send any data over the wiring. I can unplug all wires except the power and still connect to my network via WiFi. I sent the tech home as he clearly had no idea on a solution and I had my modem replaced. And the issue persisted.

I have searched the internet for a solution which led me to an article in this community which was closed with no solution provided to the person who was seriously upset, and trust me I know how he feels. Here is the article https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unable-to-join-my-own-wifi-incorrect-password-but-it...

I am starting this topic so I can provide a real solution to this issue since the closest thing to a “solution” on the other topic was to just get a new modem.

The solution I found was that on my modem for some reason it was set to 802.11 g/n instead of 802.11 b/g/n I changed this under the advanced network setting of my XFI app, my wireless radios restarted on my router and then boom it’s been three days with zero issues.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct


@sudoRmRf wrote:
Over the last year I have been struggling with an issue with my WiFi where some devices that have been previously connect have the “wrong password “ despite the fact this is not the case. A reboot often causes the issue to stop for a bit however the issue always resurfaces. I have of course called to have a tech out. He told me it was my inside wiring which is absurd as there is no point in which the authentication between your wireless access point and your device requires to send any data over the wiring. I can unplug all wires except the power and still connect to my network via WiFi. I sent the tech home as he clearly had no idea on a solution and I had my modem replaced. And the issue persisted.

I have searched the internet for a solution which led me to an article in this community which was closed with no solution provided to the person who was seriously upset, and trust me I know how he feels. Here is the article https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unable-to-join-my-own-wifi-incorrect-password-but-it...

I am starting this topic so I can provide a real solution to this issue since the closest thing to a “solution” on the other topic was to just get a new modem.

The solution I found was that on my modem for some reason it was set to 802.11 g/n instead of 802.11 b/g/n I changed this under the advanced network setting of my XFI app, my wireless radios restarted on my router and then boom it’s been three days with zero issues.

FYI, mine is set for 2.4 -802.11 g,n and 5.0-802.11 a,n.ac which I believe is correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct


@RobertWy wrote:
FYI, mine is set for 2.4 -802.11 g,n and 5.0-802.11 a,n.ac which I believe is correct.

I don't know if I would use the word "correct" ? Your setting is o/k if you don't have any "B" protocol devices that you need to connect to your network. Unless a particular model bundles the "B' capability in with the "G" and the "N" setting, but doesn't specify that it does / is also capable.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct


@EG wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:
FYI, mine is set for 2.4 -802.11 g,n and 5.0-802.11 a,n.ac which I believe is correct.

I don't know if I would use the word "correct" ? Your setting is o/k if you don't have any "B" protocol devices that you need to connect to your network. Unless a particular model bundles the "B' capability in with the "G" and the "N" setting, but doesn't specify that it does / is also capable.


It's been a LONG time since I had a "b" device; I see your point.

I couldn't figrure out how to add it with the xFi app.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct


@RobertWy wrote:


It's been a LONG time since I had a "b" device; I see your point.


Actually  "B" is still somewhat common. Many printers are still only "B" capable.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct

Well it may not be that be that b is required, but an issue with how the protocol is being executed or some other flaw in the devices firmware, but non the less the issue is real and the solution seems to have worked. However these are by no means old devices that where having issues. The full list of problem devices are a iPhone 7 & 8, a pixel 3, a PS4, a Nintendo switch, and one of my TVs (which is old). I have made this change and this issue that persisted through two routers seems to have stopped. The real point of this post is I get frustrated with these proprietary devices and services, when there is a tough issue there never seems to be attempts at troubleshooting, as was the case with the linked article. I just wanted to post what seems to be a solution for me to an issue that has plagued my home network.
New Poster

Re: Cannot stay connected to Xfinity Wifi. Incorrect password even though the password is correct

I just wanted to chime in and thank the OP, as this solution (going into my XFi app under the router advanced settings and changing my 2.4 GHz radio to accept b, g, and n) has also corrected the issue for me. I had a perfectly fine iPhone 8 Plus that randomly started disconnecting from my WiFi and claiming my password was wrong (it is not). Changing that radio setting solved the issue. So - THANKS OP!!!