Community Forum

Cannot join 5GHz network anymore; "incorrect password" error

Regular Visitor

Cannot join 5GHz network anymore; "incorrect password" error

Hi! All of a sudden, I am unable to join my 5GHz network; getting the error "incorrect password". I need advise on what my next step should be as I have exhausted available support options. These are the things I and Level 2 support over the phone have accomplished over the past 2 days, with 2 different technicians, yielding unsuccessful results: modem reboot, local and remote resets on my Cisco DPC3941T, device reboots, forgetting / renaming the network, trying different passwords. The problem is only with 5GHz and on all devices - newer iPhones, Mac computer, Windows computer, xBox. 2.4GHz is fine. Last night at 1 am, tech support finally gave up on my issue - stumped! Is it possible that they pushed new firmware that bugs out with 5GHz? 

Regular Visitor

Re: Cannot join 5GHz network anymore; "incorrect password" error

I’m having the same problem. Started on Sunday. Was working fine on 5GHz, then WiFi signal stopped and haven’t been able to reconnect since. Keep getting incorrect password. 2.4GHz works fine.
Silver Problem Solver

Did you use a browser to look at the password?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security#wifi-network-password

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for chiming in, dreamer1961! RobertWy, tech support confirmed on both occassions that the correct password was not being accepted. They're sending me new equipment; we'll see if it's the cause of the issue here. 

Regular Visitor

I double-checked via the browser and the password is correct for the 5GHz, however it still will not allow me to connect via my iPhone or iPad. Keep receiving error "incorrect password".

Official Employee

Hello all,

@yterrion - Please let us know if you still get any issues with your new gateway. 

@dreamer1961 - I can send you a new gateway if you send me a private message with your account information (name, address, phone number).

Regular Visitor

Thank you, @ComcastElla.

I received my replacement gateway today, and followed the activation steps. I am now able to connect to my 5GHz network as before. Sending back my old gateway with the enclosed shipping label. So far, so good! Thanks for the quick attention to my issue, Comcast!

Official Employee

Thank you yterrion, that is great to hear and I will pass that along to ComcastElla as I am following up for her. Please, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great night.