Community Forum

Cannot get my Samsung smart TV to connect to my Wi-Fi

Highlighted
New Poster

Cannot get my Samsung smart TV to connect to my Wi-Fi

I have been trying endlessly to allow my smart TV by Samsung to wirelessly network with my Wi-Fi in the home. The Wi-Fi works just fine with every other device and app imaginable. But this one Samsung television refuses to connect. I’m also trying to ensure that my IP address is proper because the television is obtaining it automatically and I need to compare it to what is known to be the xfinity provided IP address.

Where would I go about finding that? Besides resetting the router and the television itself, is there anything else that I’m not doing to make this a success?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cannot get my Samsung smart TV to connect to my Wi-Fi

@Triciarob1229 wrote:

I have been trying endlessly to allow my smart TV by Samsung to wirelessly network with my Wi-Fi in the home. The Wi-Fi works just fine with every other device and app imaginable. But this one Samsung television refuses to connect. I’m also trying to ensure that my IP address is proper because the television is obtaining it automatically and I need to compare it to what is known to be the xfinity provided IP address.

Where would I go about finding that? Besides resetting the router and the television itself, is there anything else that I’m not doing to make this a success?

Do you have a URL for your TV's user manual?  I would like to read the instructions.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Triciarob1229 wrote:

I’m also trying to ensure that my IP address is proper because the television is obtaining it automatically and I need to compare it to what is known to be the xfinity provided IP address.

An FYI. The private / LAN IP address that your router assigns to the TV is going to be different from the public / WAN IP address that Comcast assigns to your router.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi, Triciarob1229! This is a somewhat common issue that we see with certain smart televisions. What we commonly see as the issue is that if you have a dual band gateway (modem/router combo - with a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz frequency) with both network bands named the same, it can actually confuse the TV. Can you confirm if this is the case for you or not?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Samsung Smart TVs have a notorious reputation for connectivity problems. If you're having continuous problems with it even after troubleshooting, and you're using it to watch Netflix, Amazon, YouTube or some other streaming app, I'd suggest using Ethernet or to use a separate device like an Apple TV, Roku, or XBox instead. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@Triciarob1229 wrote:

The Samsung television needs a shorter and clean path to the WIFi gateway. Make sure there are no other devices between tv and the gateway. They can cause RF interference degrading the signal. Connecting the television and gateway with a LAN cat5 cable and using "Wired" set-up on tv works best.