Community Forum

Cannot connect to Xfinity WIFI Hotspots

Contributor

Cannot connect to Xfinity WIFI Hotspots

About 4 weeks ago, I stopped being able to connect successfully to Xfinity WIFI public hotspots including those in-home ones that fellow Xfinity customers have. Sometimes I can connect, but there is no internet connectivity. Other times I can't even connect to the hotspot. This is occurring on my iPhone 6s running iOS 10.2.3. Other people are able to connect at the same time. I have tried all the basic things. Restarting the iPhone. Turning WIFI off then in in Settings. I have also tried deleting then reinstalling the Xfinity WIFI Profiles in Settings/General/Profiles/Xfinity WIFI.
But nothing works. Any ideas?
IMG_1863.PNG
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Cannot connect to Xfinity WIFI Hotspots

There is a web page where you can turn the hotspot off and on.

"How do I disable/enable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature? What happens if I choose to disable it?
We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY WiFi around the neighborhood. You will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your wireless gateway by contacting us. You can also visit My Account, click on My Services, and then select Manage your home hotspot under the XFINITY Internet tab. Read further about turning the Home Hotspot off or on for step-by-step instructions."

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-wifi-hotspots/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

How many bars is the xfinitywifi? You may not have a good signal to it which is a possible reason it’s not connecting. Also have you tried reset network settings or even updating iOS?
Contributor

Hi. Full bars. It's a good signal. Thanks.
Expert

Have you done any network resets or all settings reset or even updating the iOS? Even try removing the profile entirely and try connecting
Contributor

I looked at what devices were registered for Xfinity WIFI, and there are none. See attached. So I am still stuck.
IMG_1867.PNG
Contributor

My iOS is up to date. I tried resetting network settings but no change.

Contributor

An update. I tried connecting my Apple TV to Xfinity WIFI, and it won't connect either. I tried troubleshooting with Comcast, but they weren't exactly helpful.
Expert

Do you mean that you iOS 10.3.3 on your 6s. That’s the most updated version. I was wondering since you said earlier 10.2.3. Did you try removing the profile and trying to join without the profile. Last time I checked it won’t on an Apple TV because last time I checked it doesn’t have a web browser.
Contributor

Hello. Sporty, it's iOS 10.3.2 on my iPhone. I tried deleting the profile and I tried reinstalling it. Neither worked.
Expert

Just wanted to verify if this is the xfinitywifi signal being broadcasted by your gateway or a neighbors gateway? When and if you can get on it’s xfinitywifi could you try to go to this link: https://wifilogin.xfinity.com/start.php?hasha=415FB136383B834B3CF24EB075AE9A28F808BD3BC123E0E66A8FBC...

That is the link I have for the Wi-Fi login page. Or even try http://captive.apple.com

You might want to give those pages a minute or two.
Contributor

Thank you for the info. I am unable to log and use a public Xfinity WIFI network anywhere. I can't even log on to the public Xfinity WIFI network on my modem. I can log and use my secured network and other people's with the password.

I am able to open the Xfinity security link via either my secured network or someone else's and then install the profile. But as I cannot join any public Xfinity network, I haven't been able to install the profile via that.

When I try and connect to the following, I just get a blank page:
http://captive.apple.com/
Expert

The best thing I can possibly say for now, is that their is a database error going on that is not adding your device on through registered devices. Just also wanted to verify that your speed tier is above 25Mbps. That's what you at least need for xfinitywifi. I was doing some reading here: https://wifi.xfinity.com/faq.php and it said up to 5 devices can be on that, so it is possible that xfinitywifi in your area may have also reached its max. That's where I found the at least 25Mbps package.

Contributor

Hello. I have Blast, so well over 100mb. With regards to some kind of over subscription of devices in this area, I have the same issue wherever I go geographically. Your idea about some sort of database error does sound very plausible. I'll run that by Comcast and see what they thin. Many thanks!
Official Employee

Hi CoBrit66, apologies for your experiences trying to log in the public Xfinity Wifi, I can look over things on my side and will send you a private message for further information.

Thank you

New Poster

Did this ever get resolved?  I'm having the same issue - not able to connect to Xfinity public hotspots.  This happened since I "upgraded" to Comcast Business Internet, 150mbps package.  It says on the Comcast Business Internet support page:  "As a Comcast Business customer, you can use your online account login email address and password to access thousands of XFINITY® WiFi public hotspots across the country. "  

But I can't connect via my cell phone or laptop to public hotspot.  When calling support or on Chat Support, it's been no help.  They say it's because I also have Xfinity TV and I need to quit Business Comcast and go back to an Xfinity bundle!