Community Forum

Cannot access numerous websites while using Xfinity Wifi Hotspot

New Poster

Cannot access numerous websites while using Xfinity Wifi Hotspot

I'm having a problem while connected to the hotspot I use most often, where some sites will load and others will not. This was not a problem up until about 4 days ago (prior to that I could access all sites without any issues), and it is a problem on multiple devices (my Surface, my iPhone, and my friend's Mac). When connected to the wifi, some sites will load totally fine (gmail.com, netflix.com, this website), but others are throwing the below error (hulu.com, slack.com, hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com, some .gov and .edu websites such as https://www.gov.ca.gov/).

This site can’t be reached

hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I spent a total of 2 hours on the phone with xfinity support yesterday (3 separate phone calls) only to have them tell me that there must have been a firewall put up by the modum owner. This seems very confusing to me since half of the internet seems to be blocked, including very normal, regularly-frequented websites AND some of xfinity's own sites. 

I am not sure what to do at this point since no one on the customer care team was at all helpful. If a firewall is blocking that many websites (making it almost unusable), that hotspot should be disabled so that others don't connect to it. There are other hotspots near enough that we could use those, but xfinity automatically joins the closest one.

Official Employee

Re: Cannot access numerous websites while using Xfinity Wifi Hotspot

m12341, welcome to the forums! I appreciate you reaching out, and I'm sorry for the delay. I'd love to take a look at this further with you, we can troubleshoot from the account directly. Please send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. Thank you! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!