Community Forum

Cancel Uverse before doing Xfinity self install?

Frequent Visitor

Cancel Uverse before doing Xfinity self install?

Hi everyone, I just received my self install kit and my service is scheduled to start on Friday 8/16. I still have AT&T Uverse. Do I need to cancel Uverse before Friday 8/16 or can Uverse remain active during the self install? I will be using the same coax cable that's currently connected to the Uverse gateway. Thanks in advance!

Expert

Re: Cancel Uverse before doing Xfinity self install?

2 services can't come over the same coax feed. If your prior U-Verse service is coax cable (typically it is DSL through phone lines), it needs to be disconnected from their feed and a live Comcast coax feed needs to be connected.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@EG

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have AT&T disconnect service before I do the install. 

Here's my AT&T gateway. It's a Motorola NVG589. The coax cable is for HPNA, whatever that is. The smaller cable going to the green port is for DSL. Both cables come out of the same wall plate. I'm thinking I can use the coax cable for Xfinity. I'm not sure if this is the line that will be activated by Xfinity or not.

Screenshot_20190814-230225_Gallery.jpg

I read that if your home had Comcast service in the past then the "self install kit" will be an option during checkout.  Since I had that option, does it mean Comcast/Xfinity just needs to flip a "switch" to turn on the service? It just had me thinking maybe I should've gotten a technician to come out in case he needs to hook up a cable outside to activate the service.

Frequent Visitor

Hmmm...the picure I inserted didn't show up so I uploaded it to my Google drive. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VagPkwFJBwbdUUKkfMbYjCziGjI9_7UM/view?usp=sharing

Diamond Problem Solver

@mkhuu1
If you are porting a phone number don’t cancel until your phone service is activated. Look outside for where AT&T and your incoming Comcast drop is, take the cable off AT&T and put it on Comcast. There’s no “switch”.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@mkhuu1  I recommend getting a tech out to sort it all out. Good luck with it !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I think I'm going to return my self install kit and cancel the service. This has become too much of a hassle for self install. I don't understand why Xfinity even offered a self install kit for my address.  It looks like a new coax line would need to be installed on the outside and into my bedroom where the gateway is because now I'm not sure I can use the current line going to my Uverse gateway that's marked for HPNA. The coax line for HPNA in my Uverse gateway actually sends out a TV signal through a splitter that's in my garage and it's split 3 ways to other Uverse receivers in my house. 

Picture of my coax splitter ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmJo6fiDnaqctuBzWukloZhIeuOpfcmW/view?usp=sharing

The splitter's "in" port comes from the Uverse gateway in my room and it's split 3 ways to other rooms in the house. 

I chatted with an Xfinity agent earlier in the morning and he said a technician was supposed to come out today to hook something up outside but it doesn't look like anything was done when I looked around the side of my house where there's a gray box marked AT&T and TV is located. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Yeah unfortunately you have a lot going on. Self install kits are really a blanket kit and there will be occasions where a tech install is necessary. The system gives you the option to self install but can’t know what you have going on in your house

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I chatted with an agent today and she said my home is in their system as having service and that a tech was out here yesterday hooking something up outside. I scheduled an appointment for this Sunday between 9-11am for a tech to come out and show me where the Xfinity line is located and I'll take it from there. If there's no line coming into the house then he will install one. I did see a green cylinder sticking out of the ground near my sidewalk marked "broadband" on it. It's probably about 3ft tall. That's probably where the tap is. 

Frequent Visitor

A technician came out today. Long story short., a crew now has to come out and dig up the ground to see where the Comcast line that runs into my house is located and possibly install a new one. He said he could've installed a temporary line above ground but that would be a trip hazard. We've lived here for over 10 yrs and never had Comcast but this house did have it at one point. The tech thinks the old line was buried under the concrete pathway at the side of my house. He said there's no cost to install a new line underground when I asked him. I now have to wait 5-7 days for the crew to come out but I don't need to be at home. 

Here's the tap. Cable number 27 is mine. It runs underground through the orange conduit you see at the bottom.

Comcast tap

Frequent Visitor

I've canceled Xfinity 2 weeks after ordering the self install kit. Worst customer service ever! The crew to bury the line was supposed to come out today, Sunday. I even chatted with an agent this morning and he said they'll come before 8pm. Noboday showed up. I was very upset so I spoke to an agent on the phone and told her I wanted to cancel and get my $50 fee back. I'm now supposed to bring the unused equipment to an Xfinity store near me. I'll just stick with AT&T. I only wanted to try Xfinity for the faster gigabit internet service which AT&T doesn't have yet in my area.