Community Forum

Can we really trust Xfinity's speed test??

New Poster

Can we really trust Xfinity's speed test??

So, internet has been slower than usual lately (2.4 connection, which I use on my laptop and Android phone). But tonight it was way worse. I literally can't even watch any Youtube videos and it took me more than 10 minutes to download a 10MB file.

Running a speed test app and also Google's speed test, download speed results ranged from 0.38Mbps to 2Mbps, which makes sense. But during the exact same period, Xfinity speed test showed results from 30Mbps to 100Mbps!!! How is this speed possible if Youtube is roughly streaming in 144p and everything is incredibly slow???

Just to confirm: I wasnt running any other devices or downloading anything while running the tests.

I really hope my connection starts working as it should again soon, or else I'll have to look for other options.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can we really trust Xfinity's speed test??

To address your question, I always use several speed test websites as a sanity check of the Xfinity test.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

FWIW, I always find the xfinity speedtest slower, think it's because none of the servers are close by. speedtest.net usually gives me the best idea...There are others of course.

Diamond Problem Solver

emarcolino wrote:
So, internet has been slower than usual lately (2.4 connection, which I use on my laptop and Android phone).

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Silver Problem Solver

Had to post this from the Xfinity speedtest today:

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/JB14CSOSY1HD8QN

Not bad for Blast! 75/10 Haha, the word unreliable comes to mind...

Diamond Problem Solver

Ha ! 

Regular Contributor

Never use a provider speedtest.

Try to avoid a Flash speedtest as well.

https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/  

https://testmy.net/ Of course an easy to remember one http://fast.com (Netflix)

Silver Problem Solver

mrumppe wrote:

Never use a provider speedtest.

Try to avoid a Flash speedtest as well.

https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/  

https://testmy.net/ Of course an easy to remember one http://fast.com (Netflix)

Love that sourceforge test; 389 down.  My plan is 200 down and speedtest.net always tops out at 240.  Netflix is 230.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

emarcolino wrote:
Running a speed test app and also Google's speed test, download speed results ranged from 0.38Mbps to 2Mbps, which makes sense. But during the exact same period, Xfinity speed test showed results from 30Mbps to 100Mbps!!! How is this speed possible if Youtube is roughly streaming in 144p and everything is incredibly slow???

Comcast's speed test is a test that checks your speed on its own network. It does this because once you're off Comcast's infrastructure, there are too many variables that can affect your speeds. Also, don't check your speed over a wireless connection. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

nerdburg wrote:

emarcolino wrote:

Comcast's speed test is a test that checks your speed on its own network. It does this because once you're off Comcast's infrastructure, there are too many variables that can affect your speeds. Also, don't check your speed over a wireless connection. 

Using the Xfinity speed test over "Wireless" is real world for our setup.

I only use Comcast for linear cable service (Cisco RNG 150 N cable-box). Our Internet is through Century Link on DLS since 1999. They replaced old phone/DSL transmission line with Optical cable a little more than a year ago. All of our "Home Network" is over Wifi / router modem: UHD tv, Sony 3D (4k up-scaling + apps) Blu-ray Player, AIO Computer, Printer, and two Kindle HD Fires.

I watch hours of UHD over You Tube every day with absolutely no problems. It doesn't matter where my wife uses her Kindle in our 4 level townhouse. Since every device is running Wifi it makes no sense to run test any other way. Our speeds are always way above what level of broadband speed we pay for. Honestly; all the complaints I see with Comcast Internet service scares me away from ever considering their service. We have had very few problems dealing with linear cable over the decades. Nothing that a short trip to the Comcast service center for N/C box replacement would always solve.

Diamond Problem Solver

OP. Can you please respond to this ?

emarcolino wrote:
So, internet has been slower than usual lately (2.4 connection, which I use on my laptop and Android phone).

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Silver Problem Solver

MNtundraRET wrote:

nerdburg wrote:

emarcolino wrote:

I only use Comcast for linear cable service (Cisco RNG 150 N cable-box). Our Internet is through Century Link on DLS since 1999. They replaced old phone/DSL transmission line with Optical cable a little more than a year ago. All of our "Home Network" is over Wifi / router modem: UHD tv, Sony 3D (4k up-scaling + apps) Blu-ray Player, AIO Computer, Printer, and two Kindle HD Fires.

I watch hours of UHD over You Tube every day with absolutely no problems. It doesn't matter where my wife uses her Kindle in our 4 level townhouse. Since every device is running Wifi it makes no sense to run test any other way. Our speeds are always way above what level of broadband speed we pay for. Honestly; all the complaints I see with Comcast Internet service scares me away from ever considering their service. We have had very few problems dealing with linear cable over the decades. Nothing that a short trip to the Comcast service center for N/C box replacement would always solve.

My Comcast ethernet connection is no problem; I just can't stream ANYTHING over wi-fi.  What hardware are you using for your wi-fi network?

Expert

One thing that caused me some grief a few years ago for Wifi signals was the location of my Cordless phone.

Many of us were most likely in the habit of having of having the master phone charger w/ Wifi plugged in near our computers. Using a phone set on 4.48 MHz is less RF interference than other frequencies used in the past. There still was some interference at times. I solved that problem by plugging in the master phone into a phone outlet up in the master bedroom. I now use the phone charger only base down in the living room. No interference from anything since the move.

If your setup works on Ethernet, the obvious cause of Wifi signal loss (strength) is RF interference. having other cable-boxes, devices, too close to each other, and not out in the open, will cause interference.

Contributor

I get good wi-fi throughout the home with a Netgear C6900 modem/router.  (Basically what they had at Costco at the time.)  By good I mean that speed tests on wired and wireless are the same, and streaming looks good everywhere. 

I'm in fairly low density housing which helps.  The cordless phones are DECT phones which are nowhere near either wi-fi band.  Also tried to be aware of where the HVAC is when installing and tried to avoid shadows from all that metal.

In the past, I've had routers with significantly worse wi-fi performance.  Also I've noticed that each new client device seems to have better wi-fi than older ones.

Still, I agree that if you want to know what speed your ISP is delivering, you measure it through a wired connection.  Otherwise you really don't know where the bottleneck is.

Diamond Problem Solver

I give...... UNCLE !!!! rolleyes.gif

Expert

If you are experiencing poor speeds, you need to determine if it's a signal/modem issue or a WI-FI issue. You do this by testing your speeds hardwired to the modem. It's not a "real world" test, it's just basic troubleshooting. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

nerdburg wrote:

If you are experiencing poor speeds, you need to determine if it's a signal/modem issue or a WI-FI issue. You do this by testing your speeds hardwired to the modem. It's not a "real world" test, it's just basic troubleshooting. 

100% correct!

Being hardwired (Ethernet connection) would give the strongest signal. However; for someone claiming their Wifi isn't working well, but Ethernet connection does, shows that the modem works but the WiFi circuit has a problem: failed board (replace the Wifi router/modem), interference of signal, or too far away from device. Comcast tech. could test levels.

As for accuracy of the speed test; I don't know if Comcast lists accuracy. I would hope for at least (10% + or -) but it may be worse. Since all my equipment uses WiFi testing that way works for me. Since everything is working fine for me on Wifi, the Speed Test being read over Wifi seems to be within a (10% + or -) tolerance range. That is certainly good enough for trouble-shooting.

Regular Contributor

A good tool for checking your wifi signal is an app for your phone - WIFI Analyzer

It shows you your signal strength in real time and will show you nearby AP's and what channels they're using.  Most WIFI speed issues will come into play if you just took the router out of the box and connected to it w/o changing it from auto channel to a set channel. If you and your neighbors are scanning the same channel 1/6/11 and switching based on the response of the neighboring AP's you'll likely be slower than you could be.  

Use the app to see where your signal strength is and adjust your channel settings until you get down to a -50db or better.  With the signals the lower you go the stronger the signal.  So, on 2.4Ghz you want to probably be on 2/3/4/8/9 avoiding the overlap of the other channels and increasing your speed and potentially distance as well.  On 5Ghz it kind of depends on what your router is capable of but, you'll see the channels in use on the app and just keep adjusting them until you find the sweetspot.

Expert

I was doing a little testing this afternoon and found ways that can skew the results when running the Xfinity speed test.

I set up my 65 inch 120Hz Samsung UHD watching a 4K program on "You Tube" over DSL on WiFi signal. I then went to the Xfinity speed test on my Lenovo AIO Computer to test results over it's Wifi. I got a typical result of 18.9 Mbp. I then went over to the television and switched MR to 240 (Sports mode).

I reran the Speed Test and got 9.5 Mbp at the computer. The result seems to be halved but that may just be a fluke. 

In order to clear things up I closed the browser on the Computer, Switched the television back to normal mode, Replayed the 4K program on "You Tube". and went back to Xfinity test site to run the speed test. Results were similar to earlier test reading 18.5 Mbs  (results read as xx.xx but I round the number).

It seems that we should close the browser and reload the Xfinity page to remove any possible errors when trying different settings.

Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

No, we cannot trust http://speedtest.xfinity.com/  

I find that it returns download speeds that are often 200% higher than any other speed test available. It's misleading, but does that really suprise you? Everything about Comcast is misleading and dishonest, but unfortunatley, many of us don't have a choice and have to suffer through their lies because they have a monopoly in many areas and dont have to care about their customers/prisoners.

Silver Problem Solver

cb303 wrote:

No, we cannot trust http://speedtest.xfinity.com/  

I find that it returns download speeds that are often 200% higher than any other speed test available. It's misleading, but does that really suprise you? Everything about Comcast is misleading and dishonest, but unfortunatley, many of us don't have a choice and have to suffer through their lies because they have a monopoly in many areas and dont have to care about their customers/prisoners.

They don't all agree, but Xfinity's test is consistent with Ookla, which I have been using for quite some time and it has no axes to grind.

Diamond Problem Solver

The general consensus of a wide variety of experts in the industry is that the most accurate download throughput results are obtained by using real life multiple concurrent (say at least 4 or 5) large file downloads from known to be fast and close by servers via a download manager application while observing the *transfer rate*. This will really max out the pipe and better show it's true capability compared to any single file downloads.
Regular Visitor

Not super accurate. It usually gives me close to the speed that I should be getting (250 down, 12 up). But sometimes it gives me a lot less. And today it gave me 602.2 down and 12.53 up. I don't believe that! And it varies tremendously between browsers and also when I run several times in a row.