Community Forum

Can we login to Comcast/Xfinity Cable Modem?

Frequent Visitor

Can we login to Comcast/Xfinity Cable Modem?

I recently had Comcast upgrade me to a SMCD3GNV cable/telephone modem.  When I asked about my new speed I was told 50/10, so I'm assuming that's the new Blast service.

I'm getting 10/4 on speedtest, consistently over a week, all times of day/night.

Before I call, I was hoping to login to the cable modem and look at its settings... anyone know the username/password?  I've tried all the suggestions I could find for Comcast and that model on Google to no avail.

I was able to login to my old cable modem (also Comcast owned).

Expert

Re: Can we login to Comcast/Xfinity Cable Modem?

Browse to http://10.0.0.1

Username = admin

Password = password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

That's what I thought.... but no, I get an "incorrect password" pop up box.

Expert

Someone must have changed it from the default value then ? You could reset the gateway back to factory  defaults with the recessed reset button on the rear but be advised that doing so will wipe out any customized wireless security settings and any other custom configurations that may have been made and they will need to all be re-done from scratch. CAUTION !

You may have some luck calling in and asking about this. Who knows if a semi standard word was used or if it was whatever a tech (assuming you had a tech install) decided to use. Were you not left any paperwork ?

Is there a sticker on the bottom with the password ?

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

That's what I'm thinking.  I won't reset it without tech support telling me to or saying they'll dispatch someone.  The last thing I need is to take myself off the Internet with no one coming for days or longer.

I don't use the wireless network from the cable modem because I have my own.

There is a sticker on the bottom with a bunch of info, but I didn't see a password.  I'll look again, however, and investigate a little deeper.

Thanks for the responses.

Expert

If you are using it as a bridge with your own router then the wireless settings would not be an issue but be advised that if a tech set it to "bridge mode", that resetting it will take it out of bridge mode and you would have to call in and have that re-done.

New Poster

Yes in you browser  type in  10.0.0.1  user is admin  password is password -or- highspeed

Frequent Visitor

Nope- highspeed doesn't work either.

Frequent Visitor

Turns out my cable modem must have been used by a previous customer and no one bothered to reset things.

A call to tech support solved these problems.  I'm now getting 18/10 speeds (will watch this over time and see if it goes up).  The fact that the upload speed is up to 10 Mbps is good and tells me the download speed will come around at a better time (we'll see).

The tech also reset the passwords on the box and I can now login.

New Poster

I have login before and i personalized the modem, but i change the user name and password. i have lost the user name and password so how can i reset the user name and password.

EG wrote:

Username = admin

Password = password

Expert

Christianyounce wrote:

I have login before and i personalized the modem, but i change the user name and password. i have lost the user name and password so how can i reset the user name and password.

EG wrote:

Username = admin

Password = password

Go back and look at message number 4.  I'll add something to that first paragraph; You'll need something like a bent paper clip or a pen tip. Depress and hold in the recessed reset button on the rear for about 30-40 seconds, then release.

Frequent Visitor

EG,

I replaced my ARRIS Gateway Wireless router / Cable Modem with just an ARRIS Cable Modem.  I will add my own wireless router later.

When I try to logon to the router with  http://10.0.0.1 the page times out without getting to the login page.

Any suggestions?

Expert

Try http://192.168.100.1

Frequent Visitor

Done

And thanks as always

PS: Purchased an Asus N66U Wireless Router to replace my ARRIS Gateway

Comes in tomorrow

Expert

That's a great choice ! I have one myself and love the performance / quality !

New Poster

The 10.0.0.1 usually works with user name admin, and the password is printed on the lable on the bottom of the router. It can be 10-16 characters and/or numbers

Regular Contributor

How is the router built in.... Say.. Compared to a Belkin N150 for 30 bucks at Kmart? .