Community Forum

Can't use CM600 modem and TM822 eMTA together anymore?

Regular Contributor

Can't use CM600 modem and TM822 eMTA together anymore?

A few years ago I purchased an Arris TM822G for internet & phone use (replaced a rented TM722 model).  Never had any issues. Then two years ago I purchased the Netgear CM600 to use for faster internet speeds since it has 24 bonded channels instead of only 8 on the Arris. Over the past two years I never had any issues with the CM600 being used for internet data and the TM822G being used only for voice.

Then a few months ago I upgraded my internet to the Extreme Pro 400Mbps plan. I get the full speeds (475) with the Netgear CM600, but the problem is the modem keeps getting dropped from my account. I call Support and they have to keep re-provisioning it back to the account. A few people have told me the issue is that the Comcast system now doesn't like 2 modems on an account, and will drop one of them. So far this has happened 5-6 times in three months. As of now I'm back to only using the Arris.

From what I've been told, the best way to resolve this problem is to upgrade to a single newer Voice & Data modem that is capable of the higher speeds, instead of having 2 modems on the account. The best options appear to be the Motorola MT7711 ($190) or the Netgear CM1150V ($250). Both would work with the Extreme Pro 400 plan I'm on now, but only the CM1150V would be compatible with Gigabit service since it is DOCSIS 3.1.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has had issues over the past few months with two separate modems/eMTAs on their account and one being dropped off?

And between the Motorola MT7711 and Netgear CM1150V, which is the better (more stable/less problems) unit to go with?

Since I have a WiFi Router, I really don't need the WiFi in the MT7711, but would use it if I purchased it. I also like the fact that the Motorola has a 2 year warranty.

Valued Contributor

Re: Can't use CM600 modem and TM822 eMTA together anymore?

I have been using a purchased CM1150V modem since early February and have had no problems with it.

Expert

Have them completely scrap both your modems off your account and readd them correctly to make sure the CM600 is provisioned for Internet Only and the TM822 is provisioned for Voice Only.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@jweaver0312 wrote:

Have them completely scrap both your modems off your account and readd them correctly to make sure the CM600 is provisioned for Internet Only and the TM822 is provisioned for Voice Only.

+1 for this response. It sounds like an account problem, while it's not the normal set up, it should work. Perhaps a rep on here could sort it out for you?

Official Employee

@FAUguy, I've added a second modem code to your account. I've replied to your private message. Let me know if this is ok with you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastChe wrote:

@FAUguy, I've added a second modem code to your account. I've replied to your private message. Let me know if this is ok with you. 

Thanks again for all your help. After about 5 modem reboots, it's working now.

I guess we'll see if it sticks this time. But if it drops again, then I guess I'll just have to get the Motorola MT7711 or Netgear CM1150V.

Official Employee

You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to keep our private message open for a little while longer so we can confirm whether or not it's resolved this time. Since you will be monitoring things, let me know if you see any changes and I'll continue to troubleshoot on my end. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Thanks for allowing me to assist you with your phone issues @FAUguy. If you still have any issues or concerns, feel free to contact us.