Community Forum

Can't reach cable modem interface after changing LAN subnet

New Poster

Can't reach cable modem interface after changing LAN subnet

I used to be able to reach my cablemodem/router (Xfinity) via 10.0.0.1.

Via web interface I changed router's gateway and subnet to 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0).

My netowrk works fine everything is good except I can't reach router/modem via 192.168.1.

I can't even ping it, yet it's set as default gateway... What's wrong with Xfinity modem/router? Is it only accesible via 10.0.0.1 no matter what the rest network is set to?

Here's ipconfig from my computer (some info hidden):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ***.nj.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *********************
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.*(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:13:51 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:13:51 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Expert

Re: Can't reach cable modem interface after changing LAN subnet

Try using http://192.168.100.1

YMMV. Does it work ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Nope sorry, 192.168.100.1 doesn't work Smiley Sad

Expert

Then I guess that you can't access the U.I. pages anymore if the gateway IP / subnet is changed, sorry.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Well that's annoying, I'm having the same problem, except I've been running mine in Bridged mode because I'm using Google WiFi pucks for routing and WiFi.  I was trying to get into the router config screens to check my signal info because we've been having ridiculous connection drops the last week.  I changed the Xfinity unit's IP range (or I must have) because my Google stuff is using the 10.0.0.x range right now.  Is the only fix a factory reset of the gateway?  (hold the reset button for 30 seconds or whatever) 

Expert

@Flyinion wrote:

I've been running mine in Bridged mode because I'm using Google WiFi pucks for routing and WiFi.  I was trying to get into the router config screens to check my signal info because we've been having ridiculous connection drops the last week.   

FWIW, http://192.168.100.1 used to work when a Comcast gateway device is in bridge mode. You can call customer service and as a rep for the signal stat numbers.

Contributor

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1  i would try that as thats what shows in the example you gave and i have used 192.168.1.1 in the past to access it