Community Forum

Can't find the 5 ghz signal

New Poster

Can't find the 5 ghz signal

I previously set up a topic here because my laptop couldn't find the 5 ghz signal.  It was decided that my laptop was a few years older.  Today, I went and purchased a brand-new one, top of the line.  I thought there was no way there should be any issues, but STILL, I can't find the signal.

I even went out and bought one of those adapter sticks that should allow me to get the signal and it's still missing.

I have no idea what's going on.  I can find the signal on my phone, my tablet, my DirecTV...everything but my computers.  Even with an adaptor!  On my computers there is a "hidden network" that pops up and has full strength.  I often wonder if that's the missing 5 ghz signal, but I can't get into it for whatever reason.

Please help Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Can't find the 5 ghz signal

Post the model of the gateway or router and the model of the wireless network card in the new laptop.  I didn't see the gateway or router model on your original post either.

The model of the gateway will be on the front bezel.  The adapter model can be found in the Windows device manager.

New Poster

okay for the computer it shows 802.11n USB Wireless Lan Card.  Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 B/G/N WiFi adapter.

The router is Device type: XB3.  Model: DPC3939

Thanks!

Expert

That Realtek WiFi adapter does not support the 5 Ghz band.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

That's why I purchased an adapter that should give me the 5 ghz signal, but it doesn't work either.

Diamond Problem Solver

Not all N cards support 5GHz. This one doesn't.

A clue is the fact that it is labelled with B and G but not A. Dual-band cards tend to support "a/g/b/n"  and are also usually labelled "Dual band".

I suggest you pick up a Netgear A6100 WiFi USB adapter which is 80211ac Dual Band.  I know some Wal-Marts carry them for under $40.

As far as the hidden network you see, many Comcast gateways have a hidden network.  That is not the 5ghz band, as you would not even see any 5ghz networks without a 5ghz adapter.

Problem Solver

I use the Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600 Dual-Band USB Adapter which i bought from Amazon for under 20 dollars.  It works great!  It found my 5 Ghz signal immediately and I have amazing speed.

Silver Problem Solver

anthonyjmcgirr wrote:

That's why I purchased an adapter that should give me the 5 ghz signal, but it doesn't work either.

Have you disabled the onboard wireless? You could still be connecting using it, rather than the new adapter.If you want to disable it permanently, try looking in the system BIOS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon