Community Forum

Can't access work VPN

New Poster

Can't access work VPN

I am a physician and need to access my hospital's VPN from home on my departmental laptop.  I have had xfinity service for over a year without any vpn connectivity issues.  Last week I could not connect to my hospital's vpn.  I called my hosptials IT department and there is no issue with my laptop.  The issue which after much troubleshooting is with the xifinity internet service which is blocking my vpn access with a timeout connectivity error when I try to connect to the hospital vpn.

I have spoken with Xfinity tech support who had me speak with a higher level tech support and he was helpful and spent about an hour trying everything, from resending the signal, checking my router setting, and even had me reset the router to factory settings.   There is no issue with my internet except when i try to to connect to the vpn.  He had me ping websites and my internet speed is fine.

I think this could be an issue with xfinity customer security blocking vpn access.  I called the xfinity customer security number who opened up a ticket.  I am waiting to hear back from this department.

Is anyone here able to help with this issue?   Do I need to upgrade to a business account to resolve the vpn issue?

Thanks!

Expert

Re: Can't access work VPN

These ports should be open on your Comcast gateway (depending on your VPN protocols):

TCP/47 (GRE)

TCP /443 (SSTP)

TCP-UDP/500 (ISAKMP)

TCP/1701  (L2TP)

TCP/1723 (PPTP)

You'll probably have to get your IT department involved in setting that up. 

A Comcast Business account could make things easier, but you could also purchase your own personal router (or have your IT department get you one Smiley Wink )and set your Comcast gateway to Bridge Mode, as configuring personal routers for VPNs can be a lot easier than setting up a bunch of Port Forwards and Triggers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same problem.  The xfinity technician I have talked to do not realy know what I am talking about, and just same that xfinity does not support VPN.  I need help from someone that knows how VPN works and how to get the hot spot to work properly.

Expert

@MDA2 wrote:

I have the same problem.  The xfinity technician I have talked to do not realy know what I am talking about, and just same that xfinity does not support VPN.  I need help from someone that knows how VPN works and how to get the hot spot to work properly.

This thread might be related to the issue here, as they all seem to have occurred around the same time:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Dropping-VPN-every-hour-Net-Neutrality/td-p/3139302

As such, since OP has not returned, and this thread is over a month old, I'm closing it.  If you wish any assistance setting up your VPN, please refer to your VPN provider, otherwise, please follow the above thread for updates.

If you have other issues requiring technical support, please post a separate thread outlining the problem so we can assist. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!