Community Forum

Can't Ping media server from my PC when using two switches.

Contributor

Can't Ping media server from my PC when using two switches.

Here is my setup:

Xfinity XB6 -----------------------Switch1--------------------Switch2

Switch 1 has a media server attached

Switch 2 has Computer/PS4/Xbox/TV

All of these are on my devices list in the XB6 modem and are all hard wired to their respective switches. Internet is working fine from my computer which is connected to switch 2 as well as all the other devices on Switch2. I just can't access the media server.

Ping from the command prompt in windows to the IP address of the media server doens't work. What am I missing here?

Valued Contributor

Re: Can't Ping media server from my PC when using two switches.

Turn off the FW on the MS and it should ping.  If it's off and not pinging then it could be a configuration on the switches preventing ICMP from passing.  Check the Ip address and make sure they're in the same subnet as well if the switches are doing DHCP and not he modem.

Expert

How can an ethernet switch do DHCP ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Expert

O/k fair enough for managed switches, not dumb ones.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

While the cheap $20 switches get most things done sometimes you might upgrade to see what's going on with you network or have a hand me down from somewhere that's managed and configured from a previous network. 

Even defaulting it might not get it onto the same subnet w/o some reconfiguring.

Contributor

Problem solved:

Windows turned off network discovery automatically on both computers. Once I turned Network discovery and file sharing back on everything worked.