Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Can't Connect to Xbox Live, But Internet Is Working

Frequent Visitor

Can't Connect to Xbox Live, But Internet Is Working

I've had Xfinity/Comcast internet for approximately 6 years and Xbox Live for approximately 2 years, without issue.  However, as of approximately 4 days ago I'm unable to connect to the Xbox Live service from my Xbox 360.  I'm using the Xfinity provided home router/modem (ARRIS TG1682G).  I spoke with Microsoft/Xbox support for approximately two hours and they have assured me my account is in good standing and paid through September of 2018.  I've also spoken with level one support at Comcast and they too have assured me my account is in good standing.

Symptoms: The Xbox can connect to the internet (I can access apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc).  However, the Xbox can not connect to Xbox Live.  When I run the "Test Xbox Live Connection" utility on the Xbox I received the following results:

• Network: Connected
  • Internet : Connected
  • Xbox Live: Blocked (Sometimes responds "Failed" instead of "Blocked")
  • Approximately 5 Xbox services are listed (App, Store, etc -- I don't have it in front of me to list them verbatim) and all respond with the status of "UP"

NOTE: I've attempted all of these steps both wired and wirelessly.  Before following any of these steps, I tested the Xbox using my Verizon mobile hotpot and it connected succesfully to the Xbox Live service immediately.  I then reverted to Xfinity and the connection fails.  This strongly leads me to believe the issue is with Xfinity and not the Xbox.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I've followed so far:

• Power cycled router/modem and Xbox
  • Cleared cache on Xbox 360
  • Reset network settings to factory defaults on Xbox 360
  • Static IP address (different from what DHCP was providing) on Xbox 360
  • Changed DHCP range to push out a new IP address, dynamically
  • Added Xbox 360 into DMZ of Xfinity router
  • Firwall on router set to "Low".  The only other setting is "OFF".
  • Turned on Port Forwarding, using the list of ports provided by Xbox Support (one would believe putting the Xbox in the DMZ would negate any firewall and/or port forwarding settings)
  • Added Xbox as "trusted device" on router
  • Ensured the Xbox is not using "Parental Control" or "Bedtime Mode" within the xFinity xFi utility
  • Deleted the WiFi profile on Xbox and re-added, ensuring Internet connectivity works fine each time (both wired and wirelessly)
  • Reset Xfinity router/modem to FACTORY DEFAULTS
    • New SSID, Password, etc
    • Verified Internet connectivity
  • Many (MANY) power cycles

These are the steps I have left to try, but after that I'm out of ideas:

• Disable firewall
  • Ensure UPnP is enabled
  • MTU - I see reference in other online posts about an inccorect MTU size.  Will verify MTU 1500
  • Reset xBox to Factory Defaults
  • Enable Bridged Mode on router and connect via wire to xBox

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.  Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

--Me

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Connect to Xbox Live, But Internet Is Working

A Comcast engineer just came to my house.  As soon as I mentioned Xbox Live, he stopped me.  Apparently, there was an upgrade in my area (central Illinois) which is causing problems with NAT on their end.  Apparently the NAT type is incorrect and causing issues specifically with online gaming.  He told me the entire city is having problems with online gaming (not just Xbox Live, but also Playstation).  They have receieved countless calls on the issue that it was escalated within the organization and determined it was definitely an issue on their end.  They are actively working on a resolution, but don't have an ETA at this time.  Thankfully the engineer that came to my house was aware of the issue and ackowledged it was a Comcast issue, not end user.  I guess I'll just wait it out and see if the problem gets resovled in a reasonable amount of time.

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

Screenshot.JPGXbox Live: Failed (Sometimes reports "Blocked")Screenshot2.JPGInternet Connectivty Works Fine

Frequent Visitor

Quick update to the remaining tasks I had left to complete:

• Disable firewall
  • Ensure UPnP is enabled
  • MTU - I see reference in other online posts about an inccorect MTU size.  Will verify MTU 1500
  • Reset xBox to Factory Defaults
  • Enable Bridged Mode on router and connect via wire to xBox

None of the tests fixed the issue.  I'm officially out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks!

New Poster

I am having literally the exact same problem with the same model router and using the Xbox 360.  The only thing that I can add to this is that I diabled the firewall completely with no success. Started for me about 2-3 weeks ago when I got a phone call from comcast to get me a new promo on my service as mine was expiring.

Frequent Visitor

A Comcast engineer just came to my house.  As soon as I mentioned Xbox Live, he stopped me.  Apparently, there was an upgrade in my area (central Illinois) which is causing problems with NAT on their end.  Apparently the NAT type is incorrect and causing issues specifically with online gaming.  He told me the entire city is having problems with online gaming (not just Xbox Live, but also Playstation).  They have receieved countless calls on the issue that it was escalated within the organization and determined it was definitely an issue on their end.  They are actively working on a resolution, but don't have an ETA at this time.  Thankfully the engineer that came to my house was aware of the issue and ackowledged it was a Comcast issue, not end user.  I guess I'll just wait it out and see if the problem gets resovled in a reasonable amount of time.

Frequent Visitor

One more thing.  When I spoke with the Comcast callcenter, they also told me my gateway/modem was old and going End of Life.  The engineer looked at it and said it's the most recently model.  Furthermore, I rent my gateway so there would never be a charge for an upgrade to a new model.  He assured me my model gateway was the latest generation, at least for my area (central Illinois).

New Poster

Ahhhh I see, well I live in Springfield IL so you answered this one. Guess we will just wait and see
Frequent Visitor

Yes, the problem was resolved a day or two after my last post.  It was most certainly an issue on their end and it was resovled without me having to do anything.  Would have been great to know they were having issues before I spent multiple evenings pulling my hair out thinking it was on my end.  Oh well...lesson learned.