Community Forum

Can only access some sites IPV4/IPV6 megathread

Expert

Can only access some sites IPV4/IPV6 megathread

If you are having this issue, reach out to @ComcastJohnN

Use this link to send a private message. Include you HFC MAC:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/1125291

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Highlighted
New Poster

No IPv4, only IPv6 (Arris SBG6950AC2)

I am having the same issue which a number of other Comcast users have referenced in this (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-google-youtube-facebook-apple-work...) thread, where Comcast is only sending me an IPv6 signal. This is with a new Comcast connection which was just set up today.

After spending over an hour on the phone with both level 1 and level 2 tier support with no resolution, I am hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!

Bert

@ComcastJohnN @ComcastChe

Tags (2)
Official Employee

Re: No IPv4, only IPv6 (Arris SBG6950AC2)

@Bert9 wrote:

I am having the same issue which a number of other Comcast users have referenced in this (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-google-youtube-facebook-apple-work...) thread, where Comcast is only sending me an IPv6 signal. This is with a new Comcast connection which was just set up today.

After spending over an hour on the phone with both level 1 and level 2 tier support with no resolution, I am hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!

Bert

@ComcastJohnN @ComcastChe

Bert,

Send me a private message with your HFC MAC and I'd be happy to take a look at it.

John

New Poster

Issue has been resolved. Big thanks to ComcastJohnN for a lightening fast resolution to this problem.

It would be helpful if the phone-in customer service could at least acknowledge this is an issue. Based on my own experience and the experience I've read of others on here, they seem to always fault the router, despite the numerous posts to the contrary.

Official Employee

To be fair to customer service, this really isn't a problem they  would understand or be able to fix. The root cause is a back-end system that gets "stuck" if the wrong  MAC address is used during activation, whether  by typo  or just using the wrong one, which is easy to do since the modem has multiple MAC addresses.  There are people working on automated solutions for this, but there are some complexities to the problem. Hopefully,  in the future, this will be cleared up without customers having to deal with it directly.

Regular Visitor

I have a SBG6580, having the same issue. Customer service told me to call Arris. arris said call Comcast, help would be appreciated
Regular Visitor

Sir I am having the same problem with No IPv4, only IPv6 (Arris SBG6950AC2). I've gone back and forth between arris and Comcast for three days now with no solution. Help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
New Poster

Hi Comcast-John,

I have the same problem with my modem where I gave them the wrong MAC ID during activation. I only receive IPv6 and no IPv4. Would you please take a look and help me in any way possible? No one from Comcast seems to know how to fix this problem until I saw your post. I would really appreciate it. 

Mehdi

New Poster

I am having this exact same issue. I've spent time on the phone with comcast 3x, and had two techs make trips to my house. I'm using a netgear C6300 and I would appreciate any help that you guys can offer.

It's crazy that no Comcast support can help with this when it seems to be a fairly common issue. 

New Poster

ComcastJohn can I give you my MAC address to clear this up?

Official Employee

@ProblemWithIPv4 wrote:

ComcastJohn can I give you my MAC address to clear this up?

Yes, please send me a private message with your HFC MAC and I will take a look.

New Poster

Just to put this on the record, ComcastJohn was able to fix my issue within minutes of this post. Bravo to you good sir!!

New Poster

Hi ComcastJhonN, I am having the same problem as others. Where the wrong MAC address was submitted and now I can't access some websites. I was looking for a way to send you a PM but apparently I need your permission first. Please let me know if you can help me too!

Model: SBG6700-AC

HFC MAC: FC 51 A4 FA 92 01

Tags (1)
New Poster

Hello John

I would REALLY appreciate if you could please take a look at my settings:

HFC MAC ID : 38700C6C3C66

Thank You Very much

Jay

Tags (1)
New Poster

ComcastJohnN,

Is it worth it to keep my SBG6580-2 or should I just go ahead and rent the equipment from Comcast?

New Poster

Re: No IPv4, only IPv6 Attn: ComcastJohnN

Hello, I’m having the same issue. Can I send you my HFC MAC as well?
Expert

Hi @DKA_User

You probably can't send @ComcastJohnN a private message since you're a new user. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Official Employee

@DKA_User, I'll send you a PM that you can reply to with your HFC MAC.

New Poster

SGB6700-AC modem connects to ipv6 and not ipv4

SGB6700-AC modem connects to ipv6 and not ipv4
Same issue as everyone else. Xfinity customer service unable to help. Please help!
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: SGB6700-AC modem connects to ipv6 and not ipv4

I’ve had WiFi and internet with the same modem and router for a year and a half. All of a sudden my WiFi doesn’t work. Comcast sends a tech out and we notice that google and YouTube work. He tells me to buy a new modem. Bought a new modem and it has the same issue. I googled and found that apparently only one employee can help me. I’m not receiving ipv4 addresses. I’d really like to use my original modem/router if it was the same issue.
Regular Visitor

Hi John,

I purchased the Arris SBG7580-AC modem/router and Comcast shows that the modem is online but I cannot access any websites.  I verified the HFC MAC address with the customer service rep but I was still unable to get any sort of internet connect.  The router lights indicate that I was "online".  Any help please? @ComcastJohnN

Thanks for your time,

Dustin

Tags (1)
Official Employee

I'm not a modem expert, but I can check for a couple of common issues. Send me a private message with your HFC MAC and I'll take a look for you.

New Poster

IPv4 not supported. Please assist

I am having the same issue as the person in this link. Please assist

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Only-have-access-to-certain-websites/td-p/3002968

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: IPv4 not supported. Please assist

Try posting to .@ComcastJohnN for help in this thread that he appears to be following. Good luck !

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-Arris-SBG6950AC2/m-p/3142450#M2901...

New Poster

Hey John

I am having the issue of not being able to access IPv4 websites. After contacting both Comcast and Arris customer service who were not able to correct the problem, I did some research online and found some posts of the same issue where you were helpful in fixing the issue. 

I did in fact provide the wrong MAC address at first, completely my fault. I gave them the WAN MAC instead of the HFC MAC which created the back-end error you mentioned in this post. 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-Arris-SBG6950AC2/m-p/3142450#M2901...

Please help me to reconnect to the world again

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Theo

New Poster

Thank you! I have messaged him with the issue and MAC address.

@EG @ComcastJohnN

Official Employee

@tdong12 wrote:

Hey John

I am having the issue of not being able to access IPv4 websites. After contacting both Comcast and Arris customer service who were not able to correct the problem, I did some research online and found some posts of the same issue where you were helpful in fixing the issue. 

I did in fact provide the wrong MAC address at first, completely my fault. I gave them the WAN MAC instead of the HFC MAC which created the back-end error you mentioned in this post. 

Please help me to reconnect to the world again. This is my HFC MAC xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Theo

@tdong12, you should be set now. I had to reset your modem for the fix to take effect. By the way, it's best to send your HFC MAC to me in a private message instead of posting it to the forum. You should delete your message now that we have it working.

Thanks,

John

Official Employee

Hi, tdong12 - I see that ComcastJohnN was able to assist you in a separate thread. Do you still have an issue or any other questions that I can help you with? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Pleas help,
I am having the same issue. The wrong mac was used by the tech durring install and now I only have ipv6 connectivity
Arris sbg6900-ac
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Hi there, having a similar issue with my modem. Up until now it has been an intermittent issue, but now I can't access any ipv4 sites from any device on my network.
Regular Visitor

Hi ComcastJohnN, I'm having issues where IPV4 has intermittent connection, but IPV6 is fine. Talked with tech support for an hour tonight, but no luck yet. I see you've been helping out others in this thread, would be appreciated if you could try to help me too! Let me know, I can message you my HFC MAC if you tell me how to. @ComcastJohnN Thanks! Ben
Tags (1)
Official Employee

@amg83 wrote:
Hi there, having a similar issue with my modem. Up until now it has been an intermittent issue, but now I can't access any ipv4 sites from any device on my network.

@amg83, please send me a private message with  your HFC MAC and I'd be happy to take a look.

Official Employee

@BenNelson wrote:
Hi ComcastJohnN, I'm having issues where IPV4 has intermittent connection, but IPV6 is fine. Talked with tech support for an hour tonight, but no luck yet. I see you've been helping out others in this thread, would be appreciated if you could try to help me too! Let me know, I can message you my HFC MAC if you tell me how to. @ComcastJohnN Thanks! Ben

@BenNelson, click this link to send a private message to me:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/1125291

Expert

Re: SGB6700-AC modem connects to ipv6 and not ipv4

Please post here to get your issue fixed: 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/No-IPv4-only-IPv6-Arris-SBG6950AC2/td-p/3128848

or PM ComcastJohnN with your HFC MAC ID (do not post it publicly)

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/1125291

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a regular customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Can only access some sites IPV4/IPV6 megathread

I am having this exact same issue, I will try to message Comcast John.
Regular Visitor

Arris modem MAC ID incorrect and no internet

I’m dying here!! Arris modem SBG7580-AC MAC address entered wrong then manually fixed but still no internet connection. According to what I read I need an expert to fix the backend server to fix IPB4 issue. Cannot get this fixed as I have made calls to Comcast for two days
New Poster

Can only access IPv6 not IPv4 Help

Hi, I have a netgear AC1750 WiFi cable modem router. Everything has been working flawlessly for 3 year when all of a sudden I can no longer load any IPv4 websites. The only sites I can access are google/YouTube. I called xfinity rep and spoke to them but all they tried to do was reset my modem and this didn’t fix it.
New Poster

Re: Can only access IPv6 not IPv4 Help

Official Employee

Re: Can only access IPv6 not IPv4 Help

@Genkii8 wrote:
Hi, I have a netgear AC1750 WiFi cable modem router. Everything has been working flawlessly for 3 year when all of a sudden I can no longer load any IPv4 websites. The only sites I can access are google/YouTube. I called xfinity rep and spoke to them but all they tried to do was reset my modem and this didn’t fix it.

@Genkii8, see if you can reach the following site:

http://portquiz.net:81

Let me know if that works or not. If it does not work, send me a private message with your HFC MAC ( may also be called CM MAC).

Regular Visitor

Arris modem MAC ID incorrect and no internet
I’m dying here!! Arris modem SBG7580-AC MAC address entered wrong then manually fixed but still no internet connection. According to what I read I need an expert to fix the backend server to fix IPB4 issue. Cannot get this fixed as I have made calls to Comcast for two days
New Poster

IPv4 internet does not work - but IPv6 does

@ComcastJohnN

Technician has setup my internet last week with wrong MAC address. Today, another technician setup the correct MAC address. Now I can only access google and youtube. IPv4 does not have intenet connection. Can you please help fixing this issue?

How to send you private message with the correct MAC address?

Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: IPv4 internet does not work - but IPv6 does

Thanks @ComcastJohnN for fixing the issue. 

New Poster

Greetings,

I am a first-time Xfinity user who just signed up for new Internet service. After a few initial issues and finally getting a new drop line, my modem was connected and I *thought* I was up and running.

However, like others in this thread I have been unable to access any sites other than google, YouTube, etc. After spending nearly 6 straight hours on the phone between Comcast support, Netgear support and a conference call with both, the issue still persists with no one seemingly able to resolve the problem, which led me to this thread.

I am using a brand new Netgear C6300. I activated this modem with Comcast by phone before the modem was up and running and connected to Comcast's system. At that time I made the mistake of giving them an incorrect MAC address. This was supposedly corrected in a subsequent support call, but I can't help to think this is part of the problem. 

After many hours of phone tech support and chat, I am still unable to pull up any IPv4 sites. 

When I open up my ethernet properties it specifically says I have "no Internet access" under the IPv4 status, but the IPv6 seems fine.

It sounds like @ComcastJohnN might be my only hope at this point. I did look at his profile page but have been unable to figure out how to send a PM, so hopefully he or someone who can assist will see this and instruct me on sending a PM to him so I can get this resolved as soon as possible.

(I have visited @ComcastJohnN profile page, but have not yet figured out how to send any PM...perhaps as I have not yet posted in the forum before). 

Thanks to anyone in advance for the assistance...I'm quite desperate at this point.

Tags (1)
Diamond Problem Solver

@sbburkett wrote:

(I have visited @ComcastJohnN profile page, but have not yet figured out how to send any PM...perhaps as I have not yet posted in the forum before). 

Do you see the "Send A Message" button on the top right of his profile page ?;

Screenshot.png

New Poster

EG, thanks for answering.

I did in fact get in touch with ComcastJohnN as it PM'd me. 

Oddly enough though, that "Message Me" button was definitely not available or showing when I looked at his profile...perhaps because I had never posted before? 

Anyhow, I did reach him and believe we have a dialog going. Thanks for the follow up. 

(I'll recheck the profile to see if I see that "Message Me" button now though).

New Poster

Just checked and the "Message Me" is now showing. Thank you.

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k. I'm not certain but he may have had to enable / allow you to send him a PM in the first place. Good luck !

New Poster

I would just like to say my problem is resolved, and @ComcastJohnN is my hero. 

Like I told him, it's amazing that he was able to resolve something via PMs in about 15 minutes what six hours of phone support with Comcast and Netgear could not.

I am so extermely appreciative of the assistance and look forward to enjoying my new Internet.

New Poster

@ComcastJohnN Can you please help me, too! I am having the same issue. I accidentally gave the WAN MAC and now I can only access limited sites. I do not see the private message button on your page, but I would be glad to give you my HFC MAC if you can please help me out!

Regular Visitor

Having the same problem, I would PM @ComcastJohnN but I can't since I'm a "new user" since I made this forum account specifically to fix this problem.