Community Forum

Can only IPV6 problem persist across changing to new modem?

New Poster

Can only IPV6 problem persist across changing to new modem?

I started having a problem where I’d loose the Internet while modem and router lights were all good. Resets would fix it for a few minutes before failing again. I disconnected the Airport and connected a laptop and saw that only IPV6 was working.

I then tried to switch to a new Arris SB6190, but when the Xfinity tech tried to set it up it could not connect. (Flashing Internet light, others solid).

Question: is it possible that I have the IPV6/IPV4 problem and it is persisting across the attempt to switch to a new modem? Or is it just some other cabling/connector/bad static IP or something mundane like that?
Official Employee

Re: Can only IPV6 problem persist across changing to new modem?

Hi there, welcome and thank you for posting. Here is a great link resource for IPv4 and IPv6 related questions: https://techlog360.com/ipv4-vs-ipv6/. It's unlikely that your connectivity problem is sourced from your equipment being dealt an IPv6 address, instead of an IPv4 address. Instead, we recommend focusing on another avenue to determine what might be contributing or causing your connection trouble. Does this happen while hardwired to the router and while connected over WiFi?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!