Community Forum

Can i use 2 cable modems in same house?

Not applicable

Can i use 2 cable modems in same house?

Well I was wondering if it is going to let me get a connection in my room because im off to buy another modem because when I share connection with my family over router they drain all my connection so I don't evenen get 200kb usually i get 2000kb. I need to know if it is going to connect.
Regular Contributor

Re: Can i use 2 cable modems in same house?

Yes, it will connect if you pay Comcast for the second account. Unless they just recently created a new pricing scheme, the price of this second connection is the same as the first connection. Here in Texas that is $42.95 if you also subscribe to cable TV.
Silver Problem Solver

You can get another cable modem, but you will have to get a second Comcast account as well. This is usually not a veyr cost effective solution.

Sharing a cable connection through a router is usually the best solution and and you will see little to no degredation in speed, unless the other users on the network are very HEAVY downloaders. Describe how the connection is shared, it probably just needs tweaking to get the performance up.
Not applicable

well i just went to buy another modem and I have been trying to connect it over the same account and it doesen't work and I will not pay $100 a month for 2 account thats just way too much. I think I am going to figure out how to change the ip on one modem and on the other.
Not applicable

Yes sir you can. But it will not boost your connection. You might as well connect your cable internet into a hub. Then send a wire into the router for the other computers and a wire to you. Becuase all the cable modem does is split what is data in the coaxil and the tv data into two seperate pieces. having another will not make you go faster. becuase all your coaxil is tied to each other in your house. which is tied to your electric line outside and theres only one coaxil line coming into the house so basically your having to spliters(cable modems) on your line.
Not applicable

1. Im not trying to make it faster..

It is because when ever someone is downloading on the other computer it pulls bandwith from me and I don't even get 200kb and usually i get 3000. So if I have 2 modems they can take the bandwith from 1 modem and it won't affect my modem that is downstairs *I HOPE* well I just hope that will not happen.
Silver Problem Solver

As we've mentioned, you can't do that unless you buy another account from Comcast. Cable modems are registered with Comcast and they will not allow a cable modem on the their network unless you register it which means pay for it on a monthly basis.
Not applicable

Well... I did it.. It works I am using 2 cable modems in same house. The ip's are different on the 2 modems I just pluged it in and it was connected. I hooked it up on my computer and it worked.

Thank You for support.
Silver Problem Solver

hehe...good luck.
Not applicable

Curious because when i moved in comcast had me wired to a downstairs room but my wife wanted it up stairs so they put in a splitter and i never used the original cable connection. Now i would like to...so are you saying i can just buy a modem and plug it into the original connection and i will have two PCs with comcast net service? I would like to do that but don;t want to pay twice...if need be, i can go the router/network angle, but since i already have the connection it seems like a lot of work.

tim
Silver Problem Solver

It won't work for more than a few minutes. In order to support self installs, you can plug in any modem and get a limited time connection to complete the self install using the provided software in some areas. But this ios not a permanent connection and will stop working after a fixed amount of time, last I heard it was that time was about 1/2 hour. And even if you keep reseting the modem every so often, Comcast will get wise and come after you for theft of service. You don't want to get tangled up in that situation.

You are much better off with a router.
MGP
Not applicable

> Well... I did it.. It works I am using 2 cable modems
> in same house. The ip's are different on the 2 modems
> I just pluged it in and it was connected. I hooked it
> up on my computer and it worked.
> Thank You for support.

Not passing judgement...just passing along some info as an fyi...

http://www.comcast.net/terms/subscriber.jsp
Theft of Service: You will not connect the Service or any Comcast Equipment to more computers, either on or outside of the Premises, than are reflected in your account with us. You acknowledge that any unauthorized receipt of the Service constitutes theft of service, which is a violation of federal law and can result in both civil and criminal penalties. In addition, if the violations are willful and for commercial advantage or private financial gain, the penalties may be increased. (MGP: You're talking felony here.)

MGP