Community Forum

Can I use a Synology 218+ or 718+ NAS Desktop storage with the SB6?

Frequent Visitor

Can I use a Synology 218+ or 718+ NAS Desktop storage with the SB6?

I want to set up backup storage. Is my SB6, ( CGM4140), compatible withe Synolog 218+ or 718+ NAS devices? Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can I use a Synology 218+ or 718+ NAS Desktop storage with the SB6?

Do you mean XB6?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Do you mean XB6?

Obviously a typo, since the OP included the model too.

As to wether those devices work with the XB6 is another matter. They "should" since they connect by ethernet and reside on the network. (USB connections if any, are usually disabled on Comcast rental devices). If running into problems, guess you could always bridge the device and use a stand alone router.

Expert

As an addendum, if you're looking to use the link aggregation feature on the DS718+, note that the XB6 only has 2 ethernet ports, and doesn't support link aggregation. You'll need a separate switch or router that supports that feature. 

Other than that, any commercially available NAS will work on the XB6 (using a QNAP TS231+ here, and it's working well). 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

Sorry about the "SB6" vs. XB6. Will proofread better next time. Thank all of you for your helpful answers.

Frequent Visitor

Accepted Solution.