Community Forum

Can I split my tv cable to run to both my tv and router

New Poster

Can I split my tv cable to run to both my tv and router

My wifi doesnt reach my bedroom in the back of my house very well; i get about 1-2 mbps back there.

Am I able to split my tv cable to run from the wall to my tv and a separate router, or will that interfere with the current modem/router I have?

Would it be easier/better to just use a wifi extender in the hall outside my room?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Can I split my tv cable to run to both my tv and router

If you are talking about adding another cable  modem / combo gateway device, they typically do not allow two modem's on a single account / residence / address.

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters.

New Poster

Not a modem, just a router as another access point that is closer than the modem. Will that not work?

I have a WiFi extender I was using with my AT&T service, but its shoddy at best. Is that just my best bet here too?

Diamond Problem Solver

@Dolito wrote:

Not a modem, just a router as another access point that is closer than the modem. Will that not work?

If it is set up as a WiFi repeater it should work. Your post is somewhat confusing due to the wording of your topic title;

"Can I split my tv cable to run to both my tv and router"

You mention splitting TV cable. Do you mean the coax cable ? You don't have to do that if you are simply setting up another router as a WiFi repeater / access point.

New Poster

Yes, I was referring to the coax cable from the wall, currently going to my tv. 

Im not very familiar with WiFi and all of this, can i plug the coax into the router and have it give off a wifi signal. The modem is in another room and i want to have an access point in this part of the house, separate from the modem.

Diamond Problem Solver

@Dolito wrote:

Yes, I was referring to the coax cable from the wall, currently going to my tv. 

You can use a two-way coax cable splitter (provided that the incoming signal strength is adequate) to be able to use your TV and your modem on a single outlet;

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Digital-Performance-Splitter-BDS102H/dp/B007YV0UQW

Im not very familiar with WiFi and all of this, can i plug the coax into the router and have it give off a wifi signal.

Coax gets plugged in to straight cable modems and / or combo modem / router gateway devices. You said "router". What is the exact make and model number of what you are calling "the router" ?

The modem is in another room and i want to have an access point in this part of the house, separate from the modem.

Not sure what you mean by that exactly ? Please be more clear and provide more details about your equipment and how things are currently connected / set up.

New Poster

Ill have to look at the router when i get home.

My set up currently is that my modem is in my living room at the front of my house. I only get 1-2mbps in my bedroom. I want to add a router, connected to the wall, to the bedroom so i can actualkly use my internet. Am I able to do this or do i have to use an extender, which i currently use, but isnt great.

Expert

@Dolito wrote:

Am I able to split my tv cable to run from the wall to my tv and a separate router, or will that interfere with the current modem/router I have?

No, you wouldn't configure it that way. Only the modem gets hooked up to coax.

Would it be easier/better to just use a wifi extender in the hall outside my room?

Yep. that's all you need to do. Your extender just gets plugged into power and you configure it to grab your wifi signal and extended the range. It does not have to be physically wired to your network. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

You can't connect a straight / stand-alone router (if that's what you have ?) to the wall (coax outlet). Router's use ethernet cable / jacks, not coax. I think that you may be incorrectly using the names of these devices (router, modem, gateway device) interchangeably.

New Poster

"Yep. that's all you need to do. Your extender just gets plugged into power and you configure it to grab your wifi signal and extended the range. It does not have to be physically wired to your network."

Ok, I guess ill just use the extender. But if i were to hook it up to an ethernet cable would that work, or is the extender the only option?

Expert

Sure, you can plug the extender into an ethernet cable -- depending on the model. Most routers can be configured as "wireless access points" which sounds like what you need. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.