Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

Regular Visitor

Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

I just upgraded to the gig service, and have not yet picked up the XB6 modem . Question I have is what harm will it be to continue to use the XB3 modem. I noticed the the XB6 has only 1 Ethernet port while the XB3 has 4. Currently I have 4 security cameras hooked centrally in a control panel powered by 1 POE box which is connected to my CURRENT cable modem. Plus I have pool adapter to monitor the chemicals in our pool and two laptops hardwired to the XB3.  Furthermore, my cable modem is plugged into a Z-Wave adapter..so if my cameras somehow go offline , I can easily reboot everything remotely  ..( YES..it does work like a charm) . Getting another z wave switch is $$$$ and reconfiguration is a PIA . Any thoughts/recommendations would be welcomed. 

I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find a Gig modem that includes phone adapter, 4 Ethernet ports , and is wireless that’s compatible with xfinity. 

Thanks 

Official Employee

Re: Can I continue to use the XB3 router with the Gig service

No, XB3 isn’t rated for Gig service
Regular Visitor

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . Is there a Device that has the same configuration as the XB3 but is Gig adaptable.. ?

Expert

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . Is there a Device that has the same configuration as the XB3 but is Gig adaptable.. ?

It hasn't been an issue for me because I use gigabit switches.  On my XB6, only one ethernet port is enabled and I connected one 8-port gigabit switch to it.  I have ethenet going to my den and I have another gigablt switch there so I don't have to use wifi.

Expert

@RSchaeffer3,

Like @RobertWy mentioned, you just need a gigabit switch if you need more ethernet ports. XB6-->switch-->clients

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Expert

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

Why, I wonder did the XB6 come out with only 2 Ethernet ports and not 4 . 

Perhaps the designers felt that for the future, WiFi is becoming a more prevalent medium than wired ethernet connections ? Plus it saves some money on the manufacturing costs.

Problem Solver

@RSchaeffer3 wrote:

I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find a Gig modem that includes phone adapter, 4 Ethernet ports , and is wireless that’s compatible with xfinity. 

There isn't one, which is why I wound up getting my own modem (ARRIS SB8200) for gigabit while still using my older modem (ARRIS TM722G) for voice only, and my own router (ASUS RT-AC88U), which has 8 ethernet ports and a ton of neat features. 

The others are right though, all you need is a gigabit ethernet switch. I've had the Netgear GS308 unmanaged 8 port switch for 3 years now, and it's been rock solid. Plus it's only $20 ATM on Amazon. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman