Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Cable modem issue

New Poster

Cable modem issue

I activated my account yesterday, and used my own equipment (modem and router). The modem is a Motorola Surfboard Sb5120 Docsis 2.0 and the router is Netgear. I was told by the sales department to contact activation department, for they requested the modem's Mac address. I did provide them the mac address, but according to them the modem is not connected since it is an outdated version.

I did plug in the modem, and was able to activate the line by submittting a verification code which arrived on my mobile phone. The internet was OK with the same modem and router. However, the light on the modem kept being orange/yellow. When I asked the activation department how can an outdated modem send packages, their answer was a "glitch".

I went to visit 3 of my friends who use the same modem model, and their internet is perfectly working.

I do understand the differences between Docsis versions, but the explanation given to me does not make sense. Currently I am having internet through Wi-Fi but not wired through my modem

Is there any way you can manually activate the modem? 

Thank you

Expert

Re: Cable modem issue

AFAIK they are no longer activating / reactivating DOCSIS 2.0 devices. Your friends' modems are likely to be *grandfathered* in for now. You are likely better off getting a DOCSIS 3.0 or an even later and more future-proofed DOCSIS 3.1 model modem.