Community Forum

Cable internet acting sporadically - seems to react to weather?

New Poster

Cable internet acting sporadically - seems to react to weather?

Our connection has been cutting in and out mostly durring and after rainy weather. Mosty upload speed seems to be effected going down to immeasurable speeds (less than 1 Mb/s) though download speed has also occasionally suffered the same slugishness.  

One second it is fine, the next it is basically nonexistant. As of now it seems to be working okay but not up to par (within reason as I assume it's normal for speeds to fluctuate throughout the day) though the upstream signal levels seem to be on the higher end of things. I will take another reading of them next time it acts out to compare.

I'm using a separate motorola modem and netgear router though the stock xfinity gateway makes no difference. Would this kind of performance signify a faulty coaxial cable?

Signal Levels: https://i.imgur.com/YPX0SBG.png

Continuous Speed test lasting 3 minutes: https://im2.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-2-096be99ddaef.gif

Expert

Re: Cable internet acting sporadically - seems to react to weather?

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you! I've updated the first post with your suggestion.

Expert

The upstream power is a bit on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions and information! All of our networking was installed by a comcast technichian so I would hope it's up to snuff. Although we're pushing 10 years since it was installed so I'm guessing the best bet is corrosion or some kind of degredation of the sort. The service has been perfectly fine until the last year or so. 

It is raining pretty hard right now and the upload speed is pretty much non existent although the signal power levels haven't changed at all. I attached a photo of our wiring outside. As you can see the florida humidity hasn't been too kind on it.

I think I'll take your advice on calling over a technician. But maybe prior to that it would be worth it to plug the modem into one of the other coax cables as a means of troubleshooting and saving the technician some time? I assume the coax outputs on the splitter are interchangeable so each output can be used for either TV or internet. I can try plugging one of the TV lines into the modem to see if it's just a faulty coax cable or something else further down the line. Just want to make sure 

Outside wiring: https://i.imgur.com/RWuAnCq.png

Expert

It's always worth it to try things !

New Poster

Just finished up the 5 hour long visit from the tech. He tried absolutely everything. Replaced every wire & splitter but the problem persisted. Turns out comcast made a ticket on the basis of this forum post after looking into the problem remotely (thank you comcast lurkers) to fix a pole outside or something of the sort. Based on that explanation, I would assume we aren't the only house on this street experiencing problems. 

Thank you for the help troubleshooting and lending your expertise, @EG 

Expert

Quite welcome ! Good luck ! Please post back with how things turn out.

Official Employee

Hi there, ebcomp15. I wanted to follow up with you! I hope you are doing well. Our experts are great huh? They help us so much on the forums. 

How are the services? Are you still experiencing issues? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.